• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Keep making same mistakes

I've said it before and I'll say it again definitively, without question or falter, for fact, a solar powered watch is only for those with very small collections. 

One of my favorite watches of all time is the Citizen World Time A/T pictured here. It's truly a perfect watch in every way but one, it requires light to keep charged or expect it to drain and be problematic after that. I've owned this thing twice now and both times, same problem, both bought brand new. The battery/reserve charge is claimed to last 6 months... well that's a lie. It holds for maybe 2 months max before it starts to do the battery low warning of skipping seconds. Then, within 3 weeks from there it dies. Good luck recovering it after that. It no longer gets radio signal, and requires manual setting.

So unless you plan on wearing one at least once every couple months, don't bother. Sad, because I absolutely love the watch! However with a collection like mine, I've got better... loads better and this thing becomes the burden of the collection. 

So fair warning, don't do solar if you can't wear it frequently. Ambient light isn't enough, no matter how much others will tell you it is. Another for the scrap pile. 

FB_IMG_1632507392230.jpg

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Is it permanently dark in the States where you live, Jay? I keep all my solars on a north facing window cill (so that they never actually get any direct sunlight on them and cook) and never had a problem. They always remain fully charged, and the RC ones pick up their signal perfectly. They've been kept like that that for at least 8 years with no problems, and I guess each is worn for a day roughly once every couple of months, or when I remember them. In fact you can see how long it is since I wore the Orca and the Ecozilla as they are still set to BST instead of GMT like the two RC G Shocks which change automatically... and that changeover was in October last year! They'll be right again come the end of March this year! :laughing2dw:

Roger's Watch album.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

And I think I've said it every time you've had a little rant about it Jay, as long as they aren't kept in the dark they are fine. Got half a dozen including a radio control Casio, 3 of these bought second hand so no idea of age or how they've been kept. Most of them come in the "rarely worn" category of my now 150+ strong watches, and all are still ticking away happily. You just need to store them where they do get some daylight. Still suspect you are a vampire:wink:

Storage for mine. Just make some concession to the fact they do need daylight and they are spot on. Wife has a glass topped watch box on our north facing bedroom window for hers.

IMG_20220109_082530.thumb.jpg.30d81c4b3b7d2a9f5e46fd25bfca7e5c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Unbelievable! Bought a hamster last week from a local pet store, checked out the reviews, all looked good. Got the little guy home and we had a great time, he rolled about in the little ball I got for him, looked cute for a bit, all going well. So when we were done I stashed him away safely in a drawer and when I went to have another go this morning only a week later he was completely dead:angry: Contacted the store and they didn't wat to know, the guy reckoned it was something I did! Sure as hell not using them again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I get it though if you don't want watches dotted all over the place. 

I've just made peace that my eco drive is in stasis. If I were wearing it more, it wouldn't be a problem so I'm not losing any sleep over it not running. It seems to fire up well when I do remember to put it in the sun (I'm now actually going to do that, so good thread.......)

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again definitively, without question or falter, for fact, a solar powered watch is only for those with very small collections. 

One of my favorite watches of all time is the Citizen World Time A/T pictured here. It's truly a perfect watch in every way but one, it requires light to keep charged or expect it to drain and be problematic after that. I've owned this thing twice now and both times, same problem, both bought brand new. The battery/reserve charge is claimed to last 6 months... well that's a lie. It holds for maybe 2 months max before it starts to do the battery low warning of skipping seconds. Then, within 3 weeks from there it dies. Good luck recovering it after that. It no longer gets radio signal, and requires manual setting.

So unless you plan on wearing one at least once every couple months, don't bother. Sad, because I absolutely love the watch! However with a collection like mine, I've got better... loads better and this thing becomes the burden of the collection. 

So fair warning, don't do solar if you can't wear it frequently. Ambient light isn't enough, no matter how much others will tell you it is. Another for the scrap pile. 

FB_IMG_1632507392230.jpg

That's a shame. I had the same qualms about having a solar powered watch but find just leaving it on a windowsill works OK.  Also means it gets its radio update each day so always ready to wear. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again definitively, without question or falter, for fact

We expect no less from you, Jay.

My only solar is a G-Shock. It lives in an upstairs window most of the time, picks up the signal at 0102 every day without fail and remains fully charged when I pick it up to go to the gym.

I put it away in a drawer when I went to Cyprus for Christmas and New Year. After two weeks of course the display was off but as soon as I took it out it came to life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

FB_IMG_1632507392230.jpg

Lol, my solar powered watches have never died, and I hardly ever wear them.  I have had several Eco-Drive AT, and also a Citizen Eco-drive GPS.  These charge even in artificial light so perhaps just leave them out of the drawer?

I have read that the power cells only last 10 years, but I ave never had a problem.  I did used to get them all out once a year around February or march to leave them in the sun for a bit when it appeared.  Only problem I ever had with a solar powered watch was a Casio that developed some LCD 'bleed' - maybe I overcooked it lol.  I have 60 watches.

I bought a Citizen Eco Drive from a lady whose husband had decided to go back to a quartz watch because it "kept stopping when he left it in a drawer"!  I left it in the sunlight for a day and it sits on my bedside cabinet (gets a bit of light from the window) and has never stopped since.  It keeps spot on time (to a few seconds a year).  I have tended to use it on my holidays (in case of loss or theft) but it is a solid and reliable wearer with great lume (for when I wake in the night!).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, JoT said:

I am with @JayDeep on this one, I have tried solar watches and gave up, frustrated with the charging / storage issue I give them a miss. I stick to batteries and mechanical.

I agree, and would go further and include kinetics in the same bracket.

If you are happy to either wear them regularly or store them in a manner than mean they are getting what they need (which I am not, if I leave anything on a window sill, it's going to end up being dipped in jam by a toddler or used as a teething aid for the baby) then they're fine, but they're not for me so I stay clear.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I agree, and would go further and include kinetics in the same bracket.

If you are happy to either wear them regularly or store them in a manner than mean they are getting what they need (which I am not, if I leave anything on a window sill, it's going to end up being dipped in jam by a toddler or used as a teething aid for the baby) then they're fine, but they're not for me so I stay clear.

Children are lovely aren't they. I showed by son and his friend how a magnet would stick to metal objects. They obviously thought metal meant anything shiny and before I could stop them they tried it on the television screen.

Does anyone want to buy a TV that needs some attention to the screen?

Edited by chas g
Typo
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, chas g said:

Children are lovely aren't they. I showed by son and his friend how a magnet would stick to metal objects. They obviously thought metal meant anything shiny and before I could stop them the tried it on the television screen.

Does anyone want to buy a TV that needs some attention to the screen?

That's not good, never had a tv-magnet issue but for what it's worth I can tell you after two attempts several years apart that trying to get vaseline or bum cream off of a TV screen is quite a task.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I have to say, the RAF Citizen is one of the most frustrating things in the world to set. EVER!! Women are easier to understand than that bloody thing

now, I’d consider myself ‘fairly’ competent when it comes to watches, but a friend asked me to reset the bloody thing after he went to New Zealand then left it in the drawer so it ran out of juice was an utter nightmare. 

Not only did it know what date/ daylight setting it was meant to be on, it didn’t know what side of the world ot was meant to be on. 

we tired everything, resetting it manually, leaving it in the open air to get radio signal etc etc etc….the best we could get after days of trying was in the right time zone but BST instead of GMT. 

….with a simple crown on a quartz or mechanical watch it would have taken me 20 seconds….

Edited by WickerBill
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

waaaaaaaaaaaa ! 

waaaaaaaaaaaa !

i blame the solar watch because i am the nupty that kept it in a dark place 

waaaaaaaaaaaa !

:baby:

Basically yes!!!

as with any tool, they’re a brilliant idea if said owner knows how to use it…..if they don’t, then might as well throw it in the bin!

im not against solar, but the eco drive is needlessly complicated. 

Now, give me the Cartier Solarbeat and that makes perfect sense

3 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

im not against solar, but the eco drive is needlessly complicated. 

Now, give me the Cartier Solarbeat and that makes perfect sense

Yup, the Cartier just charges up in any sort of ambient light, unlike those pesky eco drives where..... ummm..... they charge up in any sort of ambient light:huh:

Admittedly Citizen do make some ludicrously over complicated watches but that's not eco drive's fault, they make some dead simple 3 hander eco drives too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3