• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Keep making same mistakes

24 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Yup, the Cartier just charges up in any sort of ambient light, unlike those pesky eco drives where..... ummm..... they charge up in any sort of ambient light:huh:

Admittedly Citizen do make some ludicrously over complicated watches but that's not eco drive's fault, they make some dead simple 3 hander eco drives too.

It’s not so much the charging that’s a PITA it’s the resetting of the date/ time after the watch has been in storage. As I said, it’s needlessly complicated 

12 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

It’s not so much the charging that’s a PITA it’s the resetting of the date/ time after the watch has been in storage. As I said, it’s needlessly complicated 

Both the eco drives I've got at the moment resetting the time & date is done using the particularly complicated method of twiddling the crown... And that's not needed either if the storage part doesn't involve leaving it in the dark. I know what you mean, my teenage son has a Citizen that's a nightmare to reset with a radio control movement that does tend to go flat because he sits in his room with the curtains shut all day. Not all eco drives are like that though and I have an Accurist that's just as much of a PITA using an old Citizen movement without eco drive. It's the complications that make those a pain, not the eco drive bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

I know what you mean, my teenage son has a Citizen that's a nightmare to reset with a radio control movement that does tend to go flat because he sits in his room with the curtains shut all day.

He'd probably be OK with a kinetic, dependant upon which hand he wears it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Both the eco drives I've got at the moment resetting the time & date is done using the particularly complicated method of twiddling the crown... And that's not needed either if the storage part doesn't involve leaving it in the dark. I know what you mean, my teenage son has a Citizen that's a nightmare to reset with a radio control movement that does tend to go flat because he sits in his room with the curtains shut all day. Not all eco drives are like that though and I have an Accurist that's just as much of a PITA using an old Citizen movement without eco drive. It's the complications that make those a pain, not the eco drive bit.

Thanks for the info, that’s good to know. My initial experiences have put me off somewhat….it is indeed the radio controlled side that was a nightmare. I shall have to look into the other eco drives a bit more!

2 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

And that's not needed either if the storage part doesn't involve leaving it in the dark. 

blah blah yakety schmakety ! :taz:

It's the complications that make those a pain, not the eco drive bit.

the nice thing about nutshells :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I am a vampire and my Eco Drive is useless because I only come out at night. I've changed to a Fibit, which doesn't need sunlight and monitors my blood pressure.

So much wrong with this post? - A vampire hedgehog / a Fit BIT / & surely the last thing a vampire would worry about is blood pressure? :laughing2dw:

14 hours ago, JayDeep said:

So fair warning, don't do solar if you can't wear it frequently

I have a house with windows, and my solar hasn't been on my wrist for around 2 years, and it works perfectly. The only reason I keep it is to remind me not to buy another one. I have a G Shock for the same purpose.

• Haha 4

My radio timed solar G-Shock is what I use for setting and timing all my other watches, so it's a vital item in my collection. I've never had trouble with charging mine as it's always out of a drawer, ready to perform those functions ... and of course I live in Sunny Devon, so I never have to worry about the light. :cool: (Except for perhaps on days with a Y in them)

On 09/01/2022 at 08:30, Perlative Cernometer said:

And I think I've said it every time you've had a little rant about it Jay, as long as they aren't kept in the dark they are fine. Got half a dozen including a radio control Casio, 3 of these bought second hand so no idea of age or how they've been kept. Most of them come in the "rarely worn" category of my now 150+ strong watches, and all are still ticking away happily. You just need to store them where they do get some daylight. Still suspect you are a vampire:wink:

Storage for mine. Just make some concession to the fact they do need daylight and they are spot on. Wife has a glass topped watch box on our north facing bedroom window for hers.

IMG_20220109_082530.thumb.jpg.30d81c4b3b7d2a9f5e46fd25bfca7e5c.jpg

Just have to say nice NAD receiver, and IAB collection.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JoT said:

I am with @JayDeep on this one, I have tried solar watches and gave up, frustrated with the charging / storage issue I give them a miss. I stick to batteries and mechanical.

21 hours ago, Bricey said:

I agree, and would go further and include kinetics in the same bracket.

If you are happy to either wear them regularly or store them in a manner than mean they are getting what they need (which I am not, if I leave anything on a window sill, it's going to end up being dipped in jam by a toddler or used as a teething aid for the baby) then they're fine, but they're not for me so I stay clear.

As many of you will know, I' a fan of poetry and this reminds me of the work of 20th Century poet Nicholas Kershaw.  He wrote about this exact problem when his old friend on the Isle of Arran couldn't get what he considered his 'fashion' watches Citizen EcoDrive to work, but his Seiko Kinetic was just fine...

Near a tree by a river
There's a hole in the ground
Where an old man of Arran
Goes around and around

And his mind is a beacon
In the veil of the night
For a strange kind of fashion
There's a wrong and a right

Turns out holes in the ground at night are rather dark (wrong), but his constant motion meant the kinetic was just fine (right).

:laugh::laugh:

14 hours ago, Bricey said:

He'd probably be OK with a kinetic, dependant upon which hand he wears it.

Well, if he's going to wear it on his hand instead of his wrist... and anyway aren't young people taught at school nowadays to be ambidextrous?  :laugh::laugh:

• Haha 1

My tuppence worth....... G-Shock and Seiko Black Chrono are currently sitting in the East facing back bedroom and the G-Shock is showing fully charged. On a sunny day maybe 6hrs of sunshine, on a typical winter's day, maybe 4hrs daylight. I'll put them in the dark and check them in 6 months time....... watch this space:watch:

On 09/01/2022 at 00:30, Perlative Cernometer said:

And I think I've said it every time you've had a little rant about it Jay, as long as they aren't kept in the dark they are fine. Got half a dozen including a radio control Casio, 3 of these bought second hand so no idea of age or how they've been kept. Most of them come in the "rarely worn" category of my now 150+ strong watches, and all are still ticking away happily. You just need to store them where they do get some daylight. Still suspect you are a vampire:wink:

Storage for mine. Just make some concession to the fact they do need daylight and they are spot on. Wife has a glass topped watch box on our north facing bedroom window for hers.

IMG_20220109_082530.thumb.jpg.30d81c4b3b7d2a9f5e46fd25bfca7e5c.jpg

Just doesn't work for me, nor with this watch. This is the second I've owned both same problem. I keep them stored near my window but not in it, in a opened box and with the bedroom light on at all times. Within a few weeks they are to the point of the low charge indicator. 

• Confused 1

Had some of my GShock solar's best part of 10 years now and none have ever dropped below H all I do is put them on the windowsill at weekends sometimes both days but not always and the rest of the week they are under the bed in my watch boxes. No trouble at all (same for my eco drives)

10 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Just doesn't work for me, nor with this watch. This is the second I've owned both same problem. I keep them stored near my window but not in it, in a opened box and with the bedroom light on at all times. Within a few weeks they are to the point of the low charge indicator. 

It doesn't sound like they are working properly. I've had two Citizen ecodrive watches, and they generally just lie on my bedside cabinet with only daylight to charge them. The room does face South so it is one of our lighter rooms, anyway they have never shown low charge and one must be fifteen years old.

I wonder whether the complications take too much power to operate. Both mine are just three hand watches. Extras like radio control must use a lot more power.

On 14/01/2022 at 01:27, Duncan U. said:

I wonder whether the complications take too much power to operate. Both mine are just three hand watches. Extras like radio control must use a lot more power.

I'm guessing this might be the case.