Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
  • 1

PLEASE HELP!!! Brand & Model, any Informations on this calculator watch?


nickdlite
 Share

Question

Hey Guys. 
After year long reading as a guest I became a forum member yesterday, because I really need your help on this one.

 

i found an old watch who lookes like an old Seiko calculator watch from the 70s - but there are no seiko brandings, a model number or something else.
 

have you guys seen this watch before and have a clue wich brand and model this is? 
I have really searched the whole internet and found absolutely nothing  

Let me know if you have any clues. 
 

thank you so much and greetings from Germany

 

nick. 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/zv6kxg2

5 minutes ago, nickdlite said:

Hey Guys. 
After year long reading as a guest I became a forum member yesterday, because I really need your help on this one.

 

i found an old watch who lookes like an old Seiko calculator watch from the 70s - but there are no seiko brandings, a model number or something else.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/zv6kxg2

(I really try everything to post the pictures direct in here - but this doesn’t work. I don’t know why)

5 minutes ago, nickdlite said:

have you guys seen this watch before and have a clue wich brand and model this is? 
I have really searched the whole internet and found absolutely nothing  

Let me know if you have any clues. 
 

thank you so much and greetings from Germany

 

nick. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
8 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

You need to select Share from the postimg menu and then copy the Direct Link URL.

6337-DA7-A-18-E9-43-C5-A607-E21-FEC210833219165-D-7-ABF-4-AAE-AA9-C-46644-E85388FF843-B36-72-C3-440-F-AC9-A-452-CF950-DC

Sadly I can't be of any further help, though I would be surprised if that was the original box.

Thank you for posting the pictures. Really, I tried everything but always get an error. 
 

And thanks for stopping by, even if you can’t help with the brand/model. 
 

maybe you know someone here in this forum who can help? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
34 minutes ago, animalone said:

There The SU under the display will be for Sunday you can just make out the other days in the picture. There appears to be a brand name above the display but I can't quite make it out in the pictures (something like Samurai ??? but I can't be sure)

Never thought of days of the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
30 minutes ago, JoT said:

"Samurai"

Never heard of the brand, if that's what it is

Sorry

I couldn't find it on Mikrolisk, closest I found was in the Europa Star archive (swiss watch magazine), using their search bar which returned a single result from 1978 as a possible small exhibitor at the Basel fair (although the scan of the page isn't clear enough to be sure)

7 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Never thought of days of the week.

You can make out AM & PM just before it and what looks like ALM (alarm/) & STP (stopwatch?) at the other end. Still got absolutely no idea who made it? Although I have seen a MIKADO watch with the exact same arrangement of functions and buttons 

Edited by animalone
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Wow. Thanks for your answers already. 
 

and yes… I also read “samurai” at the top of the lcd display. 
 

 

2 hours ago, animalone said:

I couldn't find it on Mikrolisk, closest I found was in the Europa Star archive (swiss watch magazine), using their search bar which returned a single result from 1978 as a possible small exhibitor at the Basel fair (although the scan of the page isn't clear enough to be sure)

You can make out AM & PM just before it and what looks like ALM (alarm/) & STP (stopwatch?) at the other end. Still got absolutely no idea who made it? Although I have seen a MIKADO watch with the exact same arrangement of functions and buttons 

Thanks for your answer.

 

can u post what you’ve found in this archive? Would be cool to maybe have a hint or something like that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
36 minutes ago, nickdlite said:

 

can u post what you’ve found in this archive? Would be cool to maybe have a hint or something like that. 

Now that I've downloaded the page properly, I can see that the spelling isn't exactly the same so it may not be actually be connected, but it's the only thing that comes close during a search.

What you are looking at is a floorplan of part of the Basel fair from 1978

It's in the top left  at 43.115

oEi9HzR.jpeg

 

biWSer8.png

 

Edited by animalone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
32 minutes ago, animalone said:

Now that I've downloaded the page properly, I can see that the spelling isn't exactly the same so it may not be actually be connected, but it's the only thing that comes close during a search.

What you are looking at is a floorplan of part of the Basel fair from 1978

It's in the top left  at 43.115

oEi9HzR.jpeg

 

biWSer8.png

 

Thanks for your upload. 
Pretty cool how close to “samurai” this is… and also that this is a floor plan from a watch fair. 
 

but I still can’t found something in the internet about the new spelling “samourai” together with ‘watch’ or ‘watches’ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, nickdlite said:

Thanks for your upload. 
Pretty cool how close to “samurai” this is… and also that this is a floor plan from a watch fair. 
 

but I still can’t found something in the internet about the new spelling “samourai” together with ‘watch’ or ‘watches’ 

Mikrolisk show that the trademark was registered in Geneve 16/3/1983 

https://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280&letter=S&searchWhere=trademark&searchMode=exact&id=6

I'm sorry to say that's where the trail goes cold for me,:sign_question: 

good luck with your search :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 13/01/2022 at 11:13, animalone said:

Mikrolisk show that the trademark was registered in Geneve 16/3/1983 

https://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280&letter=S&searchWhere=trademark&searchMode=exact&id=6

I'm sorry to say that's where the trail goes cold for me,:sign_question: 

good luck with your search :thumbsup:

@nickdlite

In the Swiss commercial records, "SAMOURAI" was registered on 11th Dec 1984 by Samourai SA of 8, Rue de Marche, Geneva. The registration covers a wide range of Category 14 products: "Precious metals and their alloys and products in these materials or in plate; jewelery, jewelry, precious items, pearls; watchmaking and chronometric instruments; all the aforesaid goods of Japanese origin." (translated by Google)

The registration was a renewal of one originally taken out on 8th Dec 1964 by the same company operating from 5, Rue de Marche. At that time the trademark covered "Japanese pearls and items of jewellery decorated with these pearls." It finally expired in 2005.

Not sure that gets us very much further forward, but there it is.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Dear @nickdlitemy feeling is that this "calculator alarm" watch was not made by Samourai SA. The spelling of the brand name on the watch is definitely "SAMURAI" and not "SAMOURAI". Interestingly, Seiko themselves produced their first "Samurai" sports/dive watch in 2004, but that watch has always been an analogue item and has nothing to do with your own piece. I, like others here, have had a good look online but I have so far drawn a blank. There don't even seem to be any other vintage digital watches marked "SAMURAI" out there at the moment. :)

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear @nickdlitemy feeling is that this "calculator alarm" watch was not made by Samourai SA. The spelling of the brand name on the watch is definitely "SAMURAI" and not "SAMOURAI". Interestingly, Seiko themselves produced their first "Samurai" sports/dive watch in 2004, but that watch has always been an analogue item and has nothing to do with your own piece. I, like others here, have had a good look online but I have so far drawn a blank. There don't even seem to be any other vintage digital watches marked "SAMURAI" out there at the moment. :)

I found several registrations of "Samurai" for watches in the WIPO international trademark database. The most promising was filed in Kolkata India in 2010 by 'CITIZEN HOLDINGS KABUSHIKI KAISHA' and is still in force. There was a previous incarnation filed in 1990 by 'SHIRISH BANSILAL SHAH' of Bombay. Again, not sure where that gets us, unless the watch is the product of a small Indian producer that got bought out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Dear @spinynorman, most interesting as per ususal... I suppose the main problem here is the date of the the two trademark registrations you have managed to locate as compared with the date of the watch shown by @nickdlite. My internal dating mechanism tells me that the watch certainly pre-dates 2010, and is also likely to pre-date 1990, although perhaps not by very much. I suppose one could go through all the various branded calculator watches hoping to find a possible match with a watch that has been made by an identifiable watch company, but good luck with that task! :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
18 hours ago, Always"watching" said:

Dear @spinynorman, most interesting as per ususal... I suppose the main problem here is the date of the the two trademark registrations you have managed to locate as compared with the date of the watch shown by @nickdlite. My internal dating mechanism tells me that the watch certainly pre-dates 2010, and is also likely to pre-date 1990, although perhaps not by very much. I suppose one could go through all the various branded calculator watches hoping to find a possible match with a watch that has been made by an identifiable watch company, but good luck with that task! :)

I like a challenge :biggrin:

From the December 1978 cover of Europa Star, MIKADO watch with the same layout. 3 pushers on one side of the case, 1 on the other side, calculator buttons all match, and the display looks like the same arrangement ( PM AM days of the week and ALM STP). Very high likelihood that it's the same movement inside.

BGRK0vg.jpeg

Edited by animalone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 hours ago, animalone said:

From the December 1978 cover of Europa Star, MIKADO watch with the same layout.

There was a Swiss registration of MIKADO in June 1974 by Sakura Watch Co of Tokyo. However, it has a fan logo like this watch.

s-l1600.jpg

There was also a registration application in the US in 1978 with the same fan logo, but by Mikado Precision Industries, with a different Tokyo address. That was cancelled in 1988.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

This is a fascinating puzzle, and looking in depth online reveals some rather good mechanical watches, including chronographs, branded "Mikado" (usually with the fan logo), especially in the 1970s. It seems that at least some of these watches were manufactured by Swiss/German companies, or at the least kitted out with Swiss movements. I had a look at the American "Mikado Precision Industries Limited" registration, you mention dear @spinynorman, on alter.com, and it does seem that watches were a product of the firm. I do hope that more information comes to light about Mikado watches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...