• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Dress Watch On A Budget

I've been searching through budget dress watches (trying not to speand silly money on the things I really like) an feel I'm missing something with a white dial. I like taditional styling but want to avoid Seiko and Orient. I quite liked some of Tissel's offering but its a very cheap Chinese movement and at 43mm it coukd look a little silly. I like the Frederique Constant more conservative dress models but the ones I really llike seem to come in above the thousand mark and I really dont want to go that high. So, criteria are :

dress watch

conservative styling

not too pricey

white dial

What is out there that I might have missed?

Dreyfuss & Co Seafarer Series 1890 (DGB00160/32)

It's a silver face rather than white, but it is a well made and lovely proportioned traditionally styled dress watch imo.

Should be around £400 if you can find one on Ebay, Dipples still have new stock at £750.

gents-1890-series-silver-dial-bracelet-a

https://www.dipples.com/watches-c112/gents-1890-series-silver-dial-bracelet-automatic-watch-p15642/s30559?

The bracelet is good quality too, but it looks stunning on a black suede strap.

Mine on a black suede:

Screenshot_20220114-065413_Gallery.thumb.jpg.56f63d4e42119c54b63de50e22d94f81.jpg

And dressed down on brown leather:

Screenshot_20220114-065138_Gallery.thumb.jpg.919823c090b0866350393dd49c28f63a.jpg

Since sold to a fine member of this forum that doesn't believe that you can have too many watches.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Eaglegale said:

So elegant.  Sadly, his max bill is less than a thousand.  Did you see what I did there? 

https://www.iguanasell.co.uk/products/junghans-max-bill-automatic-watch-j800-1-38mm-silver-mesh-strap-027-4002-44

Link above - Price £1150 but with 18% discount code it bring it in under £1000, or get it on a leather strap for £870-18%.

• Like 1

Some lovely examples above - the CW is especially nice.

The Mido Baroncelli Heritage comes in a few white(ish) dial options;

https://www.midowatches.com/uk/watches/collections/baroncelli/baroncelli-heritage.html?filter_dial_color=White&filter_gender=Men

All these feature the ETA 2892-A2 movement and are just 7.3mm thick, 39mm diameter with see-though case backs and range from SRP £810 to £970 depending on the case/strap/bracelet.  The most expensive is this two-tone example;

M027.407.22.010.00_0_front_1_1.png

• Like 2

There's lots to go at in the Seiko Presage line, starting around £330, such as this:

se-082-seiko-watch-presage-automatic-srp

There's also the Seiko SARB line (discontinued, probably only available second hand) which are double the Presage price but really lovely watches. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

I don't know how big your wrist is but if its normal or small I would be steering you towards vintage.    For under £1000 there a a host of decent offerings from an Omega Deville to a Universal Geneve.   All are going to be great value and quality items plus they have a bit of character and history to them  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Have the Visodate Heritage white dial on the mesh strap. Very versatile. Lovely little watch I wear to the office a lot. Actually prefer it looks wise on the mesh rather than leather, although if you want ‘traditional’ formal leather strap probably the way to go.

Edit: can usually find a good discount too. Think I got mine for about 320/325.

Edited by Bobby123

5 hours ago, Thrudge said:

There's lots to go at in the Seiko Presage line, starting around £330, such as this:

se-082-seiko-watch-presage-automatic-srp

There's also the Seiko SARB line (discontinued, probably only available second hand) which are double the Presage price but really lovely watches. 

I owned one of these Presage Cocktail Times SARB065 and the dimensions are all wrong for a dress watch.48088364293_3a5bc4db2b_h.jpg

I can wholeheartedly recommend the SARB033 or 035, simplicity personified.

32924765587_560e11cd76_h.jpg

Edited by dougal74
Image added
  • Like 5

Another bloody thread that’s cost me money! I’ve been hanging my nose over one of these for a while now and at half price I couldn’t resist!

Everyone needs a Timex in the collection right?

2D7EBC1D-0E53-4668-A634-7659D1A3EAA5.jpeg

• Like 4