• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Tag Heuer Calibre 02 models

I am indeed a fan of the Heuer Cab 02's released around 2017, personally owning the community chosen evil panda (same model incoming for @Bricey) and the 85th b'day LE which is a black on sliver varient. To be honest, i'll probably end up with the Hodinkee SE and Joe Siffert at some point as i'm daft like that.

Therefore I was confused that these weren't more of a big deal and maintained as a product line but it is a well competed market for that kind of design.

I was therefore very intested to see these new releases utilising this movement:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tag-heuer-autavia-60th-anniversary-2022

Screenshot_20220114_101400_com.hodinkee.zeitwerk_edit_36724199743354Screenshot_20220114_101355_com.hodinkee.zeitwerk_edit_36714495542314

They've freshened up the design with numeral indicies which are apparently in vogue and thinned the case a little which is a good move. These changes are not to my personal preference over the previous model but it's good to see that the chrono product line has been revived so perhaps there will be more to come in the future.

Interested that 'TAG' has been restored the the dial which will be divisive but in my opinion, not in a meaningful way. I don't appreciate TAG bashing in anyway as I really see it as being informed. If you understand the history and quality, what's specifically the problem as of 2022? I went to a TAG boutique last year for a RedBar event and they have some excellent examples at reasonable market value. Besides, the shade you see thrown on WUS or the Hodinkee comments section (the dumpster fire of the watch world) is the same knee-j3rk stuff thrown at Bremont and only a step removed from saying a Tudor is a poor mans Rolex (same people that say a Boxster is a poor man's 911).

A expansion to the current Autavia with a new GMT model:

Screenshot_20220114_101417_com.hodinkee.zeitwerk_edit_36740345239706

I find it's 'alright' but not a lot to get excited about. The design execution is good though so I can see this having appeal in the mass market. Looking forward to see Pagani Design rip this off in about 15 minutes as they have with the time&date models.

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I am sorely tempted by the silver/white chrono.... 

Objectivity being what it is (i.e. impossible), i'm trying to imagine what i'd think if i hadn't ever seen the previous one and I think that i would really like it. It does remind me heavily of the latest Breitling Aviator line but i'd rather have one of these.

36 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Objectivity being what it is (i.e. impossible), i'm trying to imagine what i'd think if i hadn't ever seen the previous one and I think that i would really like it. It does remind me heavily of the latest Breitling Aviator line but i'd rather have one of these.

This is where I am. Stand alone, I quite like them and they look decent. But I do prefer the previous iteration in appearance.

Just wish UPS would get off the pot and bring it over!!!!

• Agree 1

Nice looking watch, price is up there though, while i realise they are a flyback, its almost the same price of a Speedy 

I think i like the GMT out of them all, its pretty well priced compared to direct competitors, although id still probably pick the Grand Seiko GMT first

I do like the Autavia alot (the Heuer-only branded ones), but I think they would do better to drop the 'TAG' altogether - after all the company has nothing to do with TAG anymore.  And yet 'TAG' has reappeared on the latest releases.  :sadwalk:

Also on the branding front, I must say I'm uncomfortable with the use of Jo Siffert branding.  The poor Swiss died 50 years ago in his burning BRM at Brands Hatch and I can't help feel it isn't appropriate.

Basically LVMH needs to sort Heuer branding out IMHO.

8 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

I do like the Autavia alot (the Heuer-only branded ones), but I think they would do better to drop the 'TAG' altogether - after all the company has nothing to do with TAG anymore.  And yet 'TAG' has reappeared on the latest releases.  :sadwalk:

Also on the branding front, I must say I'm uncomfortable with the use of Jo Siffert branding.  The poor Swiss died 50 years ago in his burning BRM at Brands Hatch and I can't help feel it isn't appropriate.

Basically LVMH needs to sort Heuer branding out IMHO.

I think it depends on who they think their target market is.

Ask the 'average joe' and they want a TAG Heuer, ask the average watch geek and they want a Heuer..... i suspect if you ask people in the street which watch brand theyve heard of and want to buy, it would have TAG in the name. 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, WickerBill said:

I think it depends on who they think their target market is.

Ask the 'average joe' and they want a TAG Heuer, ask the average watch geek and they want a Heuer..... i suspect if you ask people in the street which watch brand theyve heard of and want to buy, it would have TAG in the name. 

I'm sure you're right, but the 'TAG' bit lacks class.  It does depend where LVMH wants to take the brand...

• Like 1

I don't mind the TAG part and personally I think it should be kept (as the 12 or under). 

I think they should stick with chonos though, their divers don't appeal to me so much as they seem a bit plain Jane to me and other brands do them better in that price range. 

I like them, if I had money to spend on a higher end chrono, it would be a Tag I would look at first.

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

That's a fair comment. I just like blue accents. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, antjrice said:

2022-01-14_05-30-12

What am I booing? 

I feared the "hot topic" comment with regard to a man (tragically) burned to death in a race car, might be seen as a little over the line to some of the more sensitive and sensible posters.

I was wearing my Jimmy Carr hat.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I feared the "hot topic" comment with regard to a man (tragically) burned to death in a race car, might be seen as a little over the line to some of the more sensitive and sensible posters.

I was wearing my Jimmy Carr hat.

Gotcha! 

Too sophisticated a form a humour for an end of week frazzled, pre beer Ant... 

• Haha 1