• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Do your watches have names?

Ugg10

Odd thread title but just bear with me.

As a watch non-collector, I have bought watches for two reasons 1) out of necessity I.e. I need a watch now to do a job or 2) for sentimental reasons? Therefore, my non-collection is likely to only run to a handful of watches. Currently I have two automatic watches (Mercer Brigadier and Invicta Diver) for jobs around the house (beater?), one pocket watch which was my grandfathers (c.1920) and my graduation Omega Polaris (being retired after 30+ years use) plus I have a new daily wear watch on the way courtesy of a legacy left to me by my god mother, a JLC Polaris Date. So I have Bill and Ben for gardening/jobs followed by George, Mary (college name) and Gladys! 

So, thinking into the not so distant future I will have a retirement at some point and the inevitable will happen to my parents (hopefully not too soon). So, to commemorate these I have a long term plan for a GO SeaQ 39.5mm in blue on a bracelet (William, as in Freeeddddooommmm Wallace), a dress watch (Piaget Altiplano, Chopard Tonneau, Parmigiani Tondo or similar) and then either a Habring2 Erwin jump second or some sort of Chrono (Breguet XX maybe) which will be named after my parents. (or may skip the dress watch and just got for the Habring2 and and possibly a Rolex 39mm Perpetual rhodium/blue, these last to slots are a little fluid).

So, this may sound a bit strange but I have my logic, if I buy well for the right reasons and associate them with people or events then the non-collection should stay small and fairly static therefore reducing the urge to splurge plus it should be a nice little lot to pass onto the next generations (to add to my Son’s three watches: my God father’s 1946 Rolex; My dad’s Omega Constellation square Tv; and his own graduation Bell & Ross BR05).

Anyone do similar. Thoughts?

• Like 5

Of course! 
Nimrod; Nereus; Teleios; Odysseus; Euterpe; Aquarius; Caeruleus; Icarus; Aurora; Antares…

Only kidding! I was just having a bit of fun over the breakfast coffee. However, they do all relate in different ways to watches in my collection. :)

Edited by AVO

Just now, AVO said:

Of course! 
Nimrod; Nereus; Teleios; Odysseus; Euterpe; Aquarius; Caeruleus; Icarus; Aurora; Antares…

Only kidding! I was just having a bit of fun over the breakfast coffee. However, they do all relates in different ways to watches in my collection. :)

Cheers, but don’t understand, it’s all Greek to me! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Slight tangent, but all of my watches (current and previous) have a reference number on my log spreadsheet.

Meet W279 :laughing2dw:

20220114_092940.thumb.jpg.e5f054040c73ce4aa95d37476594f618.jpg

I would expect nothing less from an accountant :teethsmile: Do your kids have numbers as well?

Edited by Ugg10
  • Haha 1