• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Saturday Specials.

WRENCH

30 minutes ago, Beesadon said:

RLG Oceanfarer for me today , bit knackered this week as our son and his girlfriend presented us with Grandchild number 8 , a beautiful baby boy weighing in at 8.5lb . Over the moon 

20220115_152716.jpg

:clap:Congratulations pal!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Sulie said:

Morning all, had a lie in !! Walked the dog at 10:30 then home made soup .. now it’s helping the boy go through his coin collection.. box one of ten or so lol .. oh my !! :)

hGOBUey.jpg

I used to love the old 2/6 coin. It was beautiful and a treat when I was young. I found that coins were like watches.....easy to buy but difficult to sell but I loved  the feel of them.

I had a 1/2 farthing. 8 half farthings to the penny, 240 pennies to the £. 

1,920 half farthings to the £. Quite a pocket full to say the least.

Edited by chas g
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marcin said:

2022-01-15_02-58-48

This watch is like me. Born February 1977, a bit tired but nice overall:clap:

56 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I wasn't born until early April 1977!

Had an haemorrhoid (now removed) older than you pups.

:biggrin:

Bit of of a theme appears to be brewing  :hmmm9uh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, chas g said:

I used to love the old 2/6 coin. It was beautiful and a treat when I was young. I found that coins were like watches.....easy to buy but difficult to sell but I loved  the feel of them.

I had a 1/2 farthing. 8 half farthings to the penny, 240 pennies to the £. 

1,920 half farthings to the £. Quite a pocket full to say the least.

I've still got some Half Crowns - nothing mint, just what I saved before they disappeared.  No farthings or parts thereof though!

59 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Man you're OLD!

I wasn't born until early April 1977!

Shame you missed the joys of £sd that sadly ended in 1971 after about 1,600 years. 

It was great system 12d = 1/- so you could divide by 2 or 3 and get whole penny results, 20/- equalled £1, so 240d = £1 so it too could be divided by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and you'd get a whole number result.  So much easier to divide bills, etc.

The 'd' notation for a penny came from the Roman coin the denarius.  Until 1796 the penny coin was half an inch in diameter and made of Sterling (92.5%) silver.

There were so many bronze penny coins in circulation after WW2 that in the 1950s, apart from collector sets eg for QE2's Coronation, no penny coins were minted at all, until 1961.

960 farthings = £1...in case anyone was wondering :laugh:

Do WIS tend to be interested in things like coins and old bank notes too I wonder? :hmmm9uh: Or is it just me? :laugh:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PrivateCustard said:

This arrived today. As my collection is an affordable one, this has been on my list for a long while. It is very very pretty in the flesh.

PXL_20220115_170349931

Very nice looking watch. Its always exciting to have a new watch.

Well done that man :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beesadon said:

RLG Oceanfarer for me today , bit knackered this week as our son and his girlfriend presented us with Grandchild number 8 , a beautiful baby boy weighing in at 8.5lb . Over the moon 

20220115_152716.jpg

Congratulations on number eight.  Our third is due to arrive next month. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Littlelegs said:

I’ve not worn this Memostar mechanical alarm for a while, so given it an outing today.

large.5020ADFD-D712-424A-AEFA-753A7111839B.jpeg.6d290c8e6ca50252d4aaa9ea2e4843c9.jpeg

I’ve got one of those , love mechanical alarm watches … I paid £25 for mine many moons ago 

2 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I've still got some Half Crowns - nothing mint, just what I saved before they disappeared.  No farthings or parts thereof though!

Shame you missed the joys of £sd that sadly ended in 1971 after about 1,600 years. 

It was great system 12d = 1/- so you could divide by 2 or 3 and get whole penny results, 20/- equalled £1, so 240d = £1 so it too could be divided by 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 and you'd get a whole number result.  So much easier to divide bills, etc.

The 'd' notation for a penny came from the Roman coin the denarius.  Until 1796 the penny coin was half an inch in diameter and made of Sterling (92.5%) silver.

There were so many bronze penny coins in circulation after WW2 that in the 1950s, apart from collector sets eg for QE2's Coronation, no penny coins were minted at all, until 1961.

960 farthings = £1...in case anyone was wondering :laugh:

Do WIS tend to be interested in things like coins and old bank notes too I wonder? :hmmm9uh: Or is it just me? :laugh:

I was once offered a penny for my thoughts, but politely declined as I didn't want to feel I was short changing anyone.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hotbulb said:

I’ve got one of those , love mechanical alarm watches … I paid £25 for mine many moons ago 

They’re great, I bought this from a forum member years ago for about double what you paid. I love the sound when the alarm goes off.

• Like 1