• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

My best mate.

My best mate, Mark came to see me at work today. While we were talking he asked to borrow my Swiss army knife to get the back of his watch!

It seems the battery had packed in about half an hour before. I looked at the back of the watch and it had a screw on back so no knife is going to get that off. It is a nice Citizen quartz chrono so I told him not to bugger about with it as I’m going to get a case back tool soon.

He’ll need a watch in the mean time so I said “you need a mechanical watch, preferably an autoâ€. ;)

"No I don’t†:o

“Yes you bloody well do mate†:D

I have a Vostok auto that is a bit hard for me to see in low light so I told Mark that he was having that, like it or not! I asked if he’d like a leather or nylon strap and being a veggie he went for nylon.

If either one of us has ever needed anything the other would often help out and money would never be mentioned. Mark’s almost the brother I never had and we look after each other.

But, I might just get him interested in some nice watches. Once he gets a mechanical on his wrist he may just get the bug. If not, the free Vostok won’t have cost him anything and it will have a good home with my best mate. ;)

All very true Stan, but you have a good soln. yourself to this, i.e. a CWC quartz with battery hatch. Just carry a spare battery, and have a one P coin, and you can have the battery changed in one minute. You, of all people, must appreciate this with your own CWC :huh:B)

Griff,

Mark isn't into watches (yet). If he gets the bug then the CWC will be on my list of recommendations. No doubt about that! ;)

Mark gets watches as presents and may not have had a lot of input in thier purchase. Most people may not even know that mechanical watches are still made But I think he needs at least one mechanical watch for situations like this.

Now he has one! :D

Guest Gspotter

Who carries a spare battery round with them? I'd be interested to see if anyone does.

Hi James

I carry a brief case around, with one of each type of cell inside, just in case I get caught short. Consequently, my right arm is 4 inches longer than my left :o ;)

Cheers

Foggy

Gspotter,

If I'm wearing my CWC battery hatch I do carry a spare battery, and especially if I wear it away on holiday etc. I have had a watch battery conk out once many years ago on holiday in Cornwall, and made a mental note then to have a spare battery at hand for a quartz watch. This could bring back the discussion on Kinetic and solar quartz, but I wont start that up again.

I used an M5 in India, and is was very reliable, being the tried and tested high beat 2824. Nowt wrong with those movements.......still up with the best of ETA's

If you wear a quartz often, nothing wrong with having a spare battery in your wallet, and I have a case opener in my car as I have 2 of those. Job then sorted!!!!!! B)