• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
MarkF

Long Trip Doubts

My Mum is having a few days in Seville later this month and is a little frightened, it is her first time away without my dad, first time on her own in 48years! I have itchy feet and some free days and was thinking about riding down and joining her for a couple of days. Trouble is, time, I don't have much, I have to get there and back in 6 days max and I am having a biking confidence crisis again and I haven't even crashed lately.

I have sold the Dominator and my GSX750F, both of which were ultra reliable, all I have left is a 25 year old Kawasaki 750 cruiser, recently put back together by an idiot.........me. Should I just buy another bike or go 4000 miles on a 25 year old motorcycle? Negative thoughts never used to bother me, now I'm plagued with "What if this happens"?, "What if that falls off"? I want some reassurance but everyone so far has told me not to be so stupid, Carolyn say's "Go in your car".

F**knows what's up with me lately :(

Mark,get some miles under your belt as soon as possible,this will give you confidence back in yourself and hopefully show up any teething problems that may show up prior to the trip in the bike.See if you can organize some breakdown cover for europe etc(may be hard due to age of bike)this will give you a bit of peace of mind should the worse happen,90% of problems you should be able to solve roadside with a half decent toolkit and some essential spares(zip ties,puncture kit,bulbs ,fuses,wire etc).Stop panicking and start planning, this will boost your confidence ,if you feel you have covered the basic strategy of the trip you can get on with enjoying the ride.Good luck mate :)

Should I just buy another bike or go 4000 miles on a 25 year old motorcycle? Negative thoughts never used to bother me, now I'm plagued with "What if this happens"?, "What if that falls off"? I want some reassurance but everyone so far has told me not to be so stupid, Carolyn say's "Go in your car".

For gawd`s sake, get a grip, man!!! :nono:

[attachmentid=6177]

:lol::lol:

post-601-1159828622.jpg

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Mac, I know, it's pathetic. :(

Thorpey, it's not a long trip for me, I have been all over Europe, it's the bike that's doing it to me, I've always looked forward to going, couldn't wait to set off. Now my head is spinning with doom and gloom.

I will take your advice and go on a 200/300 mile trip this weekend and see how it performs. :)

Could you hire a bike Mark?

I had thought about that Jase but the only local place (Leeds) has stopped hiring. Even if I could find something I don't think I'd be able to take it out of the UK. :(

Have a decent ride, as you've decided. Get continental tour cover for the bike, just in case, to set your mind at rest. Is the MOT due soon? You could always do it early, get a mechanic you respect to give it a lookover in the process.

I agree with Thorpey, give it a test,

Its a Kwacka, it should run forever.

Depending on what route through France you are taking, if it blows up near the Spanish border, I'll come and rescue you ;)

Do it, blast out them cobwebs

Andy

Fogey, I have a brand new MOT, timing done, carbs re-built, the bike runs spot on. I don't know any mechanics I respect I only know ones I hate. :D

Hawkey, a plane would be a damn site cheaper but no fun at all.

Maybe you shouldn't have made that offer Andy, it's the Pyrenees that worry me most. :D

A car Cammy? Have you no imagination! the plane would be more fun.

Edited by MarkF

A car Cammy? Have you no imagination! the plane would be more fun.

Ahh, but you can't stop off at watch shops on the way in the plane ......

RAC continental cover is not expensive in a car so must be cheaps as chips for a bike. Beware they load old vehicle premiums almost 100% but then waive it if you are in a recognised club for the vehicle.

RAC continental cover is not expensive in a car so must be cheaps as chips for a bike. Beware they load old vehicle premiums almost 100% but then waive it if you are in a recognised club for the vehicle.

My Mum is having a few days in Seville later this month and is a little frightened, it is her first time away without my dad, first time on her own in 48years! I have itchy feet and some free days and was thinking about riding down and joining her for a couple of days. Trouble is, time, I don't have much, I have to get there and back in 6 days max and I am having a biking confidence crisis again and I haven't even crashed lately.

I have sold the Dominator and my GSX750F, both of which were ultra reliable, all I have left is a 25 year old Kawasaki 750 cruiser, recently put back together by an idiot.........me. Should I just buy another bike or go 4000 miles on a 25 year old motorcycle? Negative thoughts never used to bother me, now I'm plagued with "What if this happens"?, "What if that falls off"? I want some reassurance but everyone so far has told me not to be so stupid, Carolyn say's "Go in your car".

Is it for you or for your mum? I know my mum would prefer me to fly over rather than riding that horrid bike :nono:

Tim

Is it for you or for your mum? I know my mum would prefer me to fly over rather than riding that horrid bike :nono:

Tim

It's for me, I am sure she would be pleased to see me, I would be :D and I am a little worked out right now I need some "Mark" time, no family, no woman, no kids, just me on my tod with an open road with time to think about stars, life, muslims, Bradford City, that sort of stuff :D

Got up early Sunday and went to Carlisle, back down, across the A66 to Scotch Corner and on to the A1. Then blitzed down to my pal's in Ketton :eek: Got home knacked, the bike never missed a beat, I didn't expect it to, I don't know what I am worried about :D

Fly there...

Seville has a great airport... not sure which direct flights go to it from UK but

Jerez-Stanstead can be quite cheap with Ryan air - Jerez is very near Seville (@ 30mins by taxi if that) - you don't want to go worrying your mum by going on bike...

If you pop to Gibraltar while you're there drop me a bell.

Edited by Xantiagib

Loaded up and setting off after my coffee. Just checked the bike, which has been running faultlessly, the headlight warning light is on but the headlight is ok and the left indicators have decided to go on strike :eek:

My mindgames have started again. :(

See you in a week. :D

Yep, be good, be carefull, and dont cruise the truckstops....... :D

IPB Image

:o Do be careful Mark :fear: .

Holy **** Ian! I'm concerned it didn't take you long to find that....about as long as it takes to look in your favourites?!?

P.s Are you the one in the middle ducky? If so, Waverly train station, 8.30pm, just bring yourself and an industrial vat of petroleum jelly...