• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Losing it

Andy

No Gory details really.

Seiko 6139.

Took it off to wash my hands in the toilets of an office block where a friend works and forgot it.

Realized what I had done about 15 minutes later, went back, but it wasn't there.

My friend is going to check with security tomorrow morning to see if it's been handed in.

Commiserations Andy, hopefully someone has handed in in.

I have to take mine on and off at work a lot, it's a bit of a worry. I sometimes take one of those soft sunglass bags & a cleaning cloth and stuff the watch in that, then keep it in my pocket if I wear something nice to work (which I shouldn't, I know but you can't have them sitting in a box all the time). This keeps it away from coins, keys etc.

Sorry to hear that Andy, same happened to me sometime ago. Took my watch off and put it on my bag while getting changed in the local gym. Turned to talk to a mate for literally seconds and some tea-leaf pinched my watch from right under my nose :( ... well my arse, cos my back was facing my bag.

Oh well ... after a good sulk I used it as an excuse to get another watch ;)

I just thank God it wasn't my Speedmaster.

I know a guy who works in Hotel Security who found an expensive watch on the ground in the courtyard of the hotel.

He bagged and tagged it and eventually the owner collected it. Turns out it was of immense sentimental value.

Paul and his Mrs. got picked up by this guys chauffer driven Rolls Royce and got treated to a meal in a top restaraunt, then got driven home.

He also got given a prize and awarded employee of the month by the Hotel, which he said was the downside of it all.

Andy

I hope it turns up, I know i wont be much compensation if it doesnt turn up but I have a story about a Seiko 6139. In 1974 and still in my early teens my uncle bought me a 6139 - 6012 from Japan. I had never seen anything so amazing it was like something from another planet. A few months later I left it in a bathroom and like yours it was gone when I returned no more than 5 minutes later. I never really got over the loss of that watch, I wont bore you with the details, but it had a special significance. A few weeks ago I was amazed to see a 6139-6012 on Roy's site, without the original strap but in good condition. It is now sitting on my desk; I know it is not the original (well at least I dont think it is), but it does make me feel a bit better about the whole affair.

I actually lost my wedding ring at Charles de Gaulle airport during my honeymoon as it was too big. :o

I had just washed my hands and was drying them with paper towels when the wedding ring slipped off and rolled into a cubicle containing a very attractive European lady. She then came out and handed me the wedding ring. Very embarrassing! I definitely had the wedding ring sized after that; my life wouldn't have been worth living had I lost it in a toilet! :ph34r:

DaveE

Paul,

I know what you mean. Wedding rings seem to be more significant to women than men. By that I mean that I wouldn't mind too much if I lost one as it is replaceable. But to some women it signifies the sanctity of marriage etc.

Although I would never take my wedding ring off in order to "pull" on a night out with friends, I used to take it off when really drunk and wear it as a monocle in a vain attempt to look like an eccentric millionaire! :( My friends would then have to retrieve the wedding ring when it inevitably fell out of my eye socket and onto the floor.

DaveE