• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
DaveE

Definitive O&w Information And History

On 29/10/2009 at 02:59, mattbeef said:

Its because Albert Wajs is about 80 and still going

Over the last 10-12 years, I’ve exchanged emails with Mr Albert Wajs on several occasions.  I reached out a few weeks ago not really expecting a response since by my calculations, he’s 90 years old based on what he told me in a previous email.

I’ll be damned if he didn’t respond within 2 hours.  That made me very, very happy.  

Long live O&W, long live Mr. Wajs.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody new to the forum. I have recently bought a Selectron Computer by O and W as I believe most of these watches were sold at PXs in South East Asia. I am keen to trace its history and it has quite obviously been a pilots watch as the 10 digit on the outer bezel has been drilled out to operate with a pen etc. My watchmaker and I opened it up but we cant ascertain any numbers on case or movement. Anybody idea where to find them?

What I can say it has a Bettlach EB movement which I am told is quite old fashioned and dates it to around the late 60's early seventies. Does anybody know anything about these watches. TIA

This is the watch I bought                   https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/keys-aylsham-salerooms/catalogue-id-srkey10353/lot-8c6baa93-32af-4510-9ce5-abd70098dceb

@johnmt360 I don't think you will find numbers, all the vintage O&W's I have owned didn't have a serial number.O&W were a small outfit run by Mr Ollech and Mr Wajs (although in the Vietnam years they did sell about 10,000 watches a year). You are right in saying many of O&W's watches were sold through PX stores.

Selectrons came in several forms with different dials, it could have been used by a pilot but might not have been as other watches such as the 24 hour Glycine Airman and the O&W Early Bird were popular given pilots needed to reference Zulu time (GMT) and local time, both watches were again sold via PX stores.

I have always thought Selectron in their various forms would be popular with flight engineers and navigators on the larger aircraft, but that's just my guess. You look like you have a nice example, they are very collectable these days now Mr Wajs has retired (Ollech died in 1992 or thereabouts). 

The Bettlach movements are quite low grade mostly pin-lever