• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
arty11

Are Traser Watches Any Good?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help me here!? Are Traser watches actually any good? I do like the military watch style and to be honest I have always fancied a Breitling, but they're obviously very expensive! I have been drawn to getting myself a tough everyday watch and like the look of the Trasers. I like the Classic automatic pro and the Black storm pro, but don't know if they're any good as watches! Are they just cheap watched with cool lighting in the tubes, or are they actually very tough, accurate watches? I don't want to pay £200+ for what is essentially a casio or timex just because it has glowing hands!! Are they really up to military spec, or is this just marketing waffle!?

Any help much appreciated!

Regards

Arty

Arty, hello and welcome to the forum. I can assure you trasers are excellent. I have used mine for several years at work. I've found they function very well and have survived massive knocks, blood, fresh-water, sea-water, etc. The dial has to be seen to be believed and it is perfectly legible in heavy fog, pitch black, etc.

My brother also used it in Iraq for 6 months he reckoned it was excellent, so it can obviously 'do the business' (and extremes of temperature).

It's got my thumbs up!

Edited by scottishcammy

Right, thanks for that! Sounds like they are ok then!

The more I look at them I think they look great, but just thought that when you actually get to hold one they probably feel cheap! I'f i'm going to get cheap, i'll just get a casio. I just fancied something with a bit of hard wearing but accurate credibility (like a Brietling) but without the expense as I already have a TAG for best.

Cheers for your experience!

Arty

You're welcome. I've had casios and obviously trasers. It really depends what you're using them for. I need something like a traser for my work, personally (other will disagree!) I don't think the casio would be up to it, for me anyway. As regards cheap, no, they don't feel / look cheap. There are some nice titanium and ss versions as well, if you want a slightly more expensive look.

Basically I've worn this thing very day at work for many years, and it's never missed a beat!

Brilliant! Sounds like they're as well made as the site describes them then!

I don't need it to do anything in particular, but I just want something that I can wear all the time and not worry about it getting scratched or damaged. Sounds like this might just be the ticket! At least until one day I treat myself to a Breitling that is!

Thanks so much for your advice!

Arty

Just called a Traser dealer to ask about their quality and he seems to reckon they're pretty good too.

Just hard to belive the people who sell them that's the only problem! I know I won't be getting a Breitling, but I still expect the quality to be bang on for £230. I recently bought a seiko military watch (only a cheap one from Ebay) and whilst the quality seems ok, it would probably not stand up to a very light fall off my mountain bike. Certainly doesn't feel heavy duty anyway, hence the search for something more substantial. Also, it's only about 35/36mm which for me being a big bloke looks a bit too small. So the Trasers seem ideal as most are in the 40-43mm range.

Anyone else had any experiences? Are the other brands similar worth considering also? The likes of Luminox or KHS for instance?

Regards

Arty

MWC are excellent, so are Traser.

I'm tempted to buy this: *** link removed as per forum guidelines ***

Just bought another Seiko Sportura from them. The Tauchmeister looks very solid and it has Tritium too. 1000m diving.

Edited by pg tips
  • Sad 1

Sorry about the linkage? You're not allowed to link anywhere?

When you join the forum the rules are shown. They are also on a link at the top of the forum and here Forum Guidelines.

Arty, hello and welcome to the forum. I can assure you trasers are excellent. I have used mine for several years at work. I've found they function very well and have survived massive knocks, blood, fresh-water, sea-water, etc. The dial has to be seen to be believed and it is perfectly legible in heavy fog, pitch black, etc.

My brother also used it in Iraq for 6 months he reckoned it was excellent, so it can obviously 'do the business' (and extremes of temperature).

It's got my thumbs up!

The one I bought from Roy did me well until I 'upgraded' to a Ti version. That one I sold to a rugby mate and it's now on duty in Iraq. My only caveat for the tactical environment (and I told Kris this beforehand since he's a Cav Scout) is that the lume is so bright that the watch should not be worn/should be covered up on night patrols as it would mark your presence to someone using NVDs.

Traser are good, But watch (pun) out for the cheaper ones as i believe they are made from a plastic material.

Would not go near a MWC, Bought a 'military issue' one when i first got into watches, it didn't last last long, and when i pulled it apart it had a rubbish movement in it.

CWC are the real thing, But i think most military wear Casio

Seiko are Pukka, Get an old 6309- can't go wrong

Take Care

Bill

hey Arty - I had a Luminox Stealth F-117 for a while and was very impressed by the build quality, it looked and felt the business: solid, no messing.

...why did I sell it again? ... :lol:

It's got my thumbs up!

The one I bought from Roy did me well until I 'upgraded' to a Ti version. That one I sold to a rugby mate and it's now on duty in Iraq. My only caveat for the tactical environment (and I told Kris this beforehand since he's a Cav Scout) is that the lume is so bright that the watch should not be worn/should be covered up on night patrols as it would mark your presence to someone using NVDs.

Indeed. My bro only wore it during the day. Come to think of it, I must ask him what he wore at night.... :blink:

Just called a Traser dealer to ask about their quality and he seems to reckon they're pretty good too.

Just hard to belive the people who sell them that's the only problem! I know I won't be getting a Breitling, but I still expect the quality to be bang on for £230. I recently bought a seiko military watch (only a cheap one from Ebay) and whilst the quality seems ok, it would probably not stand up to a very light fall off my mountain bike. Certainly doesn't feel heavy duty anyway, hence the search for something more substantial. Also, it's only about 35/36mm which for me being a big bloke looks a bit too small. So the Trasers seem ideal as most are in the 40-43mm range.

Anyone else had any experiences? Are the other brands similar worth considering also? The likes of Luminox or KHS for instance?

Regards

Arty

The Seiko Military style you mentioned (SNX421/427?) I'm told is only a military styled watch and not an official mil spec. Even so, I think it's one of Seiko's nicest designs.

If it's a tough watch you're after, why not have a look at the Seiko SKX779, AKA the Black Monster? They're as hard as nails and glow like a reactor!

Andrew. :)

From experience, I wouldn't recommend MWC.

Neither would I.

No way whatsoever!!!!!

Thanks so much chaps! All your help is much appreciated!

Just been looking again at the websites and it says that the one i'm after is limited to 500. Is this true!? If so, do they sell out fast, or will I have plenty of time? Just didn't want to miss out if they are the things that normally sell out fast! Are they doing this all the time by having 'limited edition' ones?

Yeah, the Seiko one I have at the mo is only a military 'styled' one so am aware that it wouldn't withstand much abuse. I'm not particularly hard on watches, but I know that this one probably wouldn't be up to withstanding much. Nicely made and nice looking, but isn't something for knocking about in.

Cheers all again!

Arty

Well, i've done it! I ordered the Black Storm Pro tactical edition (500 limited one) to save any worries about them running out! Should be here tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be pleased with it! Just hope it looks and feels like a £200+ watch!! and not some jumped up casio from Argos!!

Light? Really? Light doesn't equal cheap feeling does it? I thought the titanium one was the light one? Hope i've not ordered the wrong one? Apparently it's steel, with carbon bezel and the silicone strap. Come to think of it, it probably will be fairly light with a silicone strap I suppose. I was hoping it would be nice and weighty and chunky though! Oh well, see what it's like when it arrives I suppose. I'll definately send pics though!

Arty

It is chunky. To be honest, it's really a matter of personal taste as to whether or not you think it looks cheap. I. and I think most others will agree with me here, don't think it looks cheap at all. It does look very chunky, it's just surprising how light it is on the wrist. It's made to be like that, not least because of the strap (which a very strong sweet smell!).

I think you've done very well, but I don't think you'll know yourself 'til you've got it on your wrist. If you don't like it, I'll happily relieve you of it!!! :lol:

No, I totally agree! I don't think you can ever tell from looking at it on a screen! Only when you get the thing can you tell I suppose. I am hoping it looks chunky as this Seiko one I have looks a little bit small for my wrist to be honest. Hope the size is noticably bigger than this one. It should be if it's nearly 10mm bigger diameter. Plus the strap is wider too. What did you mean about it smelling sweet? Did you mean the silicone strap?

By the way, are all the straps a standard size? Hope it's longer than the one on this Seiko one! I'm on the last hole of it!!