• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Life On Mars

Captain Scarlet

Hi All,

With apologies to forum members outside of the UK who probably wont have seen the show it was interesting to see that Sam’s watch looked like a Casio/Pulsar/Seiko dual analogue digital display similar to: http://www.tokunaga.ne.jp/en/museum/089.html, a type of watch popular around the early mid eighties…..certainly not around the early seventies – the period the series is based in!

So what should Sam have been wearing……a LED or early LCD perhaps or better still a mechanical movement in a TV style case.

Steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone,

I can remember buying an LED watch on the first day they were available,i had to got to John Lewis in Manchester where there was a franchise dept in the store ( i cant remember who it was ) that was in 1974!

Thinking about it i am sure these watches were available before then but i definitely remember a huge advert in the paper promoting them, i cant now remember the make.

It lasted about six months , i threw it one day when it told me the time was 10:67!!!!!!

Paul

Edited by paul@orbvalley

hi everyone,

I can remember buying an LED watch on the first day they were available,i had to got to John Lewis in Manchester where there was a franchise dept in the store ( i cant remember who it was ) that was in 1974!

Thinking about it i am sure these watches were available before then but i definitely remember a huge advert in the paper promoting them, i cant now remember the make.

It lasted about six months , i threw it one day when it told me the time was 10:67!!!!!!

Paul

Ah the memories:

I built a Sinclair 'Black Watch' from a kit around 73/74 and that worked for about six months and chewed its way through about twelve sets of batteries in that time!

Steve

Couldn't Sam have had the watch in present day as a NOS and simply chose to keep wearing that with his 70's clothes.

I can appreciate the attention to detail but it is a bit like picking the fly **** out of the pepper innit.

He could say it was a prototype model

Yes I think we all must have noted that watch......also the Cortina is the wrong model.....the Triumph had the wrong wheels and the Allegro....well thats just an Allegro :lol:

My wife works with a lot of very senior plodders in her job and she says they all say "ah those were the days" when talking about that programme! Hells bells.....glad I was too young to get arrested in the 70's....or at least too fast to be caught! :lol:

Best regards David

I lived in a tiny village of 200 people max in the 70's, we had 2 shops 2 pubs a chippy and a police house with resident copper.

If we ever misbehaved mum would say right come on I'm taking you to see constable Aldiss!

the village is now at least 3 times as big and has one shop and one pub.

I lived in a tiny village of 200 people max in the 70's, we had 2 shops 2 pubs a chippy and a police house with resident copper.

If we ever misbehaved mum would say right come on I'm taking you to see constable Aldiss!

And now she would have to say "right I am ringing the regional district police call centre, they will put me on hold for 20 minutes then record my complaint and ring back with advice in a few days" :nono:

Best regards David

Ah those were the days, days when your builder wasn't a pole (oooh but they work so hard - and so would you if you suddenly found yourself earning 4 times more than you could back home) and the youth had things to look forward to other than the dole (1/3 of all men under 30 are on benefits) or mickey mouse qualifications and degrees (that keep them off jobless totals and bankrupt some of them).

Days when we really did play in fields (when they still existed) and you really could aspire to owning a great home (even on the equivalent to an average UK salary) when we grew up (and not just share like students well into our 30's).

The 70's. Raleigh Chopper's, LED watches, big collars, hand-me-down's, and The Six Million Dollar Man.

The 70's. Dunlop trainers but no sneakerisation, street parties and a clip round the ear.

The 70's. Hope, Glory, Jackanory.

Good old 70's.

Edited by the strap

The alternative view of the '70s (from someone under 40!)

1/. Strikes (did anyone actually do a full day's work in the '70s?)

2/. Powercuts, in the middle of winter, when your house has electric heating, and generally right in the middle of the evening film (see 1, above)

3/. Itchy, algae-green nylon jumpers

4/. Rubbish piled up in the streets (see 1, above)

4/. Grey polyester school trousers

5/. Vesta Chow Mein

6/. Crap cars that came out of the factory ready-rusted

7/. Brown everything

8/. The three-day week (and parents arguing because they were skint and dad was PAYE) - see 2 above

9/. Damp and mould

10/ Dog-**** everywhere

11/ Three TV channels

12/ The Generation Game with Larry Greyson (may have been '80s by then, but only just)

Hmm, this could get to be a long list.

But I'll still keep collecting their watches. They did something right in the '70s.

I still reckon it is was better to be a kid in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's than a 90's or 00 kid. I wouldn't want to be a kid now in the UK. Methinks they haven't got much good to look forward to.

i agree with you whats wrong with vesta chow mein,70's car's,do you own any brown watch straps?

the kids dont go out and play now just go on bloody MSN.

Digital TV, cheap video games, huge birthday parties, cycle lanes instead of jousting with traffic, Legoland?

I'd be a kid again today, no hesitation. (Maybe this is why I refuse to grow up.)

Oh, 70's cars, erm, Austin Allegro anyone? (We had three. One was maroon. The steering wheel was square and the seats were made of vinyl that took the skin off the back of your legs if you sat on them on a sunny day.)

Brown watch straps, yes, granted, I have three.

Vesta was an allegory for '70s cooking. We thought it was posh back then. I wouldn't use it as animal food nowerdays though.

And I use MSN all the time (for business and at home) - marvelous invention. Even my parents use it and they're in their mid 60s. Far less intrusive than the telephone.

Anyhoo, off topic, sorry.

Edited by Who. Me?

I still reckon it is was better to be a kid in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's than a 90's or 00 kid. I wouldn't want to be a kid now in the UK. Methinks they haven't got much good to look forward to.

i agree with you whats wrong with vesta chow mein,

Woooo - Vesta Chow Mein - with the self fry crispy noodle things that you did in the frying pan and they gave your mouth & lips 3rd degree burns. :lol: