UK Watch Forum banner

Fusee

9K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  James 
#1 ·
Anyone had any experience in these or looked at the work of the movements? Looking to secure one mid 1700's to very early 1800's. What a work of art these were.

G
#2 ·
They are a work of art also very expensive for that period. You have to be careful when winding these up 'cause the fusee chain is delicate and prone to breaking. Having said that I'm after one myself.
:thumbsup:

Rabbit

#7 ·
Anyone had any experience in these or looked at the work of the movements? Looking to secure one mid 1700's to very early 1800's. What a work of art these were.
They are a work of art also very expensive for that period. You have to be careful when winding these up 'cause the fusee chain is delicate and prone to breaking. Having said that I'm after one myself.
:thumbsup:

Rabbit
And agreed, they have to be wound slowly and pay attention to the stop or there goes the drive chain but they can be replaced.

#3 ·
the only thing I know about fusee movements is if you ever see them for sale on ebay they are broken.

#4 ·
and hard to get parts for! speaking to a couple guys now that I know. have more specific requirements like silver hallmarked case, good dial, good movement, lever style, will see what happens. I think it is more the allure of something so old. so that would put the piece then early 1800's for me.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I made my mind up. Ended up getting a piece from a local guy well in Ontario anyway. Had to be fully serviced, run to the end of the chain and keep excellent time as well as have a decorated movement with pink gold wheel, specific bridge, regulator style, solid silver case, tight hinges, no cracked enamel dial and nice gold guilt movement & inner dust cover. So here are some pics, take a few days to get to me. His pics not mine

e3cc_3.jpg

e4d7_3.jpg

e5eb_3.jpg

e6ad_3.jpg

#6 ·
e64e_3.jpg

e487_3.jpg

e524_3.jpg

#8 ·
that's beautiful james

#9 ·
Wow James! Work of art mate! stunning.... simply stunning!
:)

G
#11 ·
This is my first Fusee - came last week. Its hallmarked Chester 1890 and the face is signed "Ford Galloway & Co. Birmingham".

Its ticking away quite nicely but it looses about 5 minutes in 24 hours.

IMG_0638_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0635_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0634_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0633_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0637_edited-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo's.

Rabbit

#20 ·
This is my first Fusee - came last week. Its hallmarked Chester 1890 and the face is signed "Ford Galloway & Co. Birmingham".

Its ticking away quite nicely but it looses about 5 minutes in 24 hours.

IMG_0638_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0635_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0634_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0633_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0637_edited-1.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo's.

:) Rabbit
Hello- I too have a similar watch and this is the only other one i have come across Peter Ford and Peter Galloway were cousins who set up together in 1880 they both came from Auchtermuchty in Scotland.Do you have any more info on them?.

Seismic

#12 ·
very nice. yea something about the old design a chain like a bicycle chain and two lil cockroaches running on the tiny wheel

5 minutes out would be acceptable but you could probably adjust better. does it run to the end of the chain? and don't wind past the stop lol or you be putting out 50 bucks for a chain.

#14 ·
Ohhhhhh got it. And its way better than the pics. I did not know the whole movement swings out on a hinge from the front thats plain cool, a tab is pressed under the 6 and out it all swings! All the hinges are like new too. But afraid to take it all apart just yet still a bit cold from the delivery, pics come a sunny bright day. this things looks and feels brand new

#15 ·
Alrighty some pics although a grey sunlight day!

IMG_0001-37.jpg

IMG_0002-28.jpg

IMG_0005-12.jpg

IMG_0003-21.jpg

#16 ·
IMG_0007-7.jpg

IMG_0008-5.jpg

IMG_0009-5.jpg

IMG_0010-7.jpg

#17 ·
IMG_0011-3.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013-4.jpg

#22 ·
One moment... James asked for watches from about 1750 to the early 1800 (thus about 1840?). These watches in this thread are all AFTER 1850.

Here are some older watches:

A french verge watch:

frnzspindel_front.jpg

frnzspindel_werk1.jpg

Made in about 1800 in france, because of the engravings you cannot read the name of the watchmaker. Fusee movement, ticks nicely-

An english cylindre fusee watch:

duddell_front.jpg

duddell_werk.jpg

With hallmarks for London 1814, a fusee watch with a rare cylindre escapement. Watchmaker was a Duddell, known between 1815 and 1832 in 106, Holborn Hill, London.

#23 ·
An english high-quality verge watch:

r_athow_front.jpg

r_athow_werk.jpg

Verge watch, of course with a fusee, diamond endstone, screwed stone in a gold setting for the crown wheel, hallmarks for London 1816, signed Rich(ard) Athow by R(ichard?) Browd, serial number 129 (quite low), second wheel stop!

A french lepine pocket watch:

lepine2_front.jpg

lepine2_werk.jpg

Lepine calibre II, made in about 1830, anonymous, cylindre escapement.

Andreas

#25 ·
yep nice pieces :)

a verge would be nice I do like those but something on the agenda right now already at 400 bucks and 4 days to go :( but I am high bidder won't play now till the end :)

And regarding a glass for that pocket piece. You may not be able to get a thick glass but a watchmaker should have no issue getting a glass for it, would mean taking it apart and sending the bezel in to have fitted not a big deal. Take care of it, you say its wearing through the crystal, I would not use it until you get it looked at and serviced maybe a spend including glass of a hundred to a hundred and a half (canadian bucks). You are in the UK, best place to have serviced!

#26 ·
yep nice pieces :)

................And regarding a glass for that pocket piece. You may not be able to get a thick glass but a watchmaker should have no issue getting a glass for it, would mean taking it apart and sending the bezel in to have fitted not a big deal. Take care of it, you say its wearing through the crystal, I would not use it until you get it looked at and serviced maybe a spend including glass of a hundred to a hundred and a half (canadian bucks). You are in the UK, best place to have serviced!
Thanks James, I have a good jewellers shop in the village. I will see what he can do. He arranged a nice job on a Waltham for me.

Now for the sack-cloth and ashes.

:eek:fftopic: This where I should bow out. I should not have posted to this thread ! Since my earlier 'rookie' post I (no expert) have dug into the 1798 (?) watch and found my way into the gear-box and there's no fusee ! I suppose that make's me a 'phoney' in present company, so I can only apologise. So, before I go I will now try to send one or two photos of the piece. It is clear that restoration would be a very big job. One final admission - - the fully wound run-down time just checked was about 32 hours and not as stated in my last post.

pwDSCF1605ps-macro-em.jpg

pwDSCF1611ps-em.jpg

pwDSCFxxxx-open-em.jpg

I will be back, but only if invited. Cheers, Giotto

#27 ·
No probs! Well 32 hours is good so thats fine. Silver will clean up be carefull of the hinges snapping but those can usually be repaired. That hole in the crystal lol, the pressure must be very strong on those hands, not good. And a glass can be fitted no problem at worst a better plastic one high dome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.