• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
JoT

Mexican Standoff

Some of you may remember that I have a rather obscure collection of books on Witwatersrand gold mining 1886 - 1899.

I am one key book short - I know where it is, and its the only one on the market. Trouble is the bookseller wants too much for it and just will not budge.

I have been talking to this guy for almost three years - nobody else wants the damn book but he still isnt prepared to drop the price! The only concession he has made is that he will give me first option if someone else wants to buy it.

He is not going to give in - he knows I want it - so I am on the verge of paying his price.

Should I give in?

<_<<_<

JoT,

How much is too much?

100% more than the true value? Can you afford it?

Sometimes the value is what it means to you, if you can afford it, buy it.IMHO.

There are many things I want that I can't afford because I don't have much brass, but if I had the money I would buy them.

But, I could have an empty belly and no roof over my head, as many do. :(

You only live once. ;)

Stan ... he wants $450 for the book ... it is dificult to say what it is really worth ... sure its rare ... but as he has not been able to sell it in the last three years it would seem I am the only current collector of this subject in the world at present :)

I guess it is worth what I am prepared to pay for it :( can I afford it? ... Yes ... no wife helps :lol: I guess I am being stuborn because he is being stuborn.

I think both you and Roy are right.

How much ! :o

Hang on , thats a lot of money for a book you can buy a wife for that sort of money in some foreign parts.

Stan ... he wants $450 for the book ... it is dificult to say what it is really worth ... sure its rare ... but as he has not been able to sell it in the last three years it would seem I am the only current collector of this subject in the world at present  :)

JoT,

I just want to make sure you've done an internet search for the book.

A few years ago my wife wanted an obscure, out-of-print rare book about British History (imagine that since she's Scotch/Irish) and I had a great time trying to find it among used book dealers. It took a while but I finally did find a good condition used copy from a used book store that sold through amazon.com.

As I recall, some used book sellers work with some on-line book stores so you might try a few of the others too.

Hope you are as lucky finding a cheaper copy of the book as I was in finding a truly mint Speedbird for $275 US shipped.

I agree: make sure you have looked at all other options first. It seems a lot of money even for an obscure subject!

It is amazing what Amazon can come up with in out of print / rare books, can take months though, but they eventually come through.

Talking of obscure subject matter, some of you might be interested in having a browse through this site:

Shenton Horological Bookshop

It takes time to look around this site but it is asonishing what has been preserved and collected.

In some ways I admire the guy for holding out, if you really are one of the few potential customers. Some dealers hold on to their books, watches or whatever for incredible lengths of time if they know they will eventually get their price.

OK - took your advice on board - offered the man his price.

He is now saying the price is $750 - he must be taking the p*** :angry:

I am starting to wonder if he doesnt want to sell - or enjoys the damned Mexican Standoff.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Jot he sounds like a bull******* to me, leave well alone.

No matter how rear the book is or how much you want it if the seller behaves like that he doesn't deserve your custom.

PG I think you are right s*d him he can bugger off :lol:

I can save the money for a RLT4

------------------------------------:rolleyes:

Done ... I can't understand it ... he is an Aussie running a bookshop in South Africa ... surely not ?

No-one can be that petty ... :blink:

OK - it has nothing to do with the rugby - apparently another book has come on to the market at $750 and he felt it was only right that he raise his price.

Well bo*****s to it.

Stan does telling an Aussie t*** to bugger off qualify me for associate membership?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to drag this post up from the archive sad.gif

He still has the book .... sad.gif .... Its been over three years now that he has been tormenting me cry.gif

I am the only person in the world that really wants this book ..... trouble is it's the only copy of this book for sale in the world sad.gif

I wont sleep tonight now I have thought of it again sad.gif

bloody hell John, I though you'd resolved this long ago and it wasn't a problem anymore!

I think I am going to have to buy it; sort of resigned to the fact that I will have to pay his price huh.gif

There ... I feel better already laugh.gif

John, you know you will buy it in the end. laugh.gif It's the same with watches. laugh.gif You torment yourself only if you have masochist tendencies. laugh.gif Let it go, your peace of mind worth more than few hundred bucks. If you consider it is a bad deal and you lose money think of other bad deals you once made and give yourself a rest. smile.gif

I still dont like the sound of the way he does business but It will be very satisfying when you do get it.......