• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

His n' Hers.

I got two watches to day!

I thought it about time that Shorty had a mechanical watch as all the ones she’s owned in the past 20 years have been quartz. Nowt wrong with that but a change can’t hurt.

I ordered a ladies Gruen from Roy for two reasons. Firstly, it’s in nice condition and typically vintage “ladies†style. Secondly, it is quite old. Being a proper Gruen it must have been made prior to 1958 when the company stopped trading ( I think).

Gruen had a good reputation, even though they were “assembled†watches they were of very good quality.

Well, she loves it. “ It looks like my Gran’s watch†and “ It’s older than me, I wonder who owned it first?â€. I think she may be becoming a vintage watch fan, good or bad thing?

The second watch from Roy is a Technos 17 jewel incabloc job from the 1960’s. The dial is showing some spotting and the numerals are beginning to “go†but the dial is very attractive and it looks good on the wrist. I’ve cleaned the platted case with a cotton bud with a “hint†of WD40 on it. Roy may b*****k me for this but WD40 is not abrasive and is good for removing light tarnish from most metals. The trick is to use very little of the stuff so that it doesn’t seep into the case.

Neither watch cost a fortune, I don’t have one. But, it is nice to own watches like this that have a history and the character that some of the mainstream watches of today lack.

post-3-1069535396.jpg

Stan I know bugger all about either watch ... in fact I know bugger all about most watches :lol: ;the Technos looks really nice and very unusual there can't be many about.

JoT,

Quote from Technos website:-

"TECHNOS, like its name, has a long history in quality and precision timepieces that maintain the highest standards for reliability. TECHNOS originates from the ancient Greek word "techne" which means "technique" in modern English. Thus, TECHNOS brings to horology all the experience and technique gained from many years of designing and assembling only the most reliable watches for men and women since 1900"

Although now owned by a company in Honk Kong, Technos appears to have been a small Swiss maker of average quality watches at one time. I suppose it hit bad times during the quartz flood of the 1970's?

This is a nice looking watch, IMHO.

Not many about, I hadn't thought of that. :o

I'm getting reluctant to wear it now :o

Nah, I'll wear it, that's what it's for. ;) :D

Saw some new Oris watches today in a "Goldsmiths" that look a lot like the Techno - should have took more notice as they are not on the Oris web site :angry:

Similar embossed dials

JoT,

Just posted a link to a site about the Gruen company, you my find it interesting. :)