• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger

The Most Beautiful?

p.g..

Reference the Starfighter...

People who lived in Germany used to say.

"If you want an F-104 Starfighter, simply buy a field in Germany and wait...."

You beat me to it!!!

Starfighters, especially those flown by the German Air Force in the 60's, had a habit of hitting the ground unintentionally.

They seem to lose a tremendous amount of height whilst executing tight turns!

not sure what the technical term is, but I saw a few nearly come to grief at Geilenkirchen when they were trying to follow RAF Javelins

Sargon,

It seems to be sitting next to two of the premier allied fighters of WW2.

Israeli roundels on a 109, cor blimmey! :o

The best that never was - BAC TSR2 - it was criminal when they canned the programme

tsr2inflight.jpg

The finest airplane ever built has to be the Douglas C47 or DC3 Dakota the plane that won the second world war. Never flown in anger ie un-armed. Still being flown comercially for over 60 years and look at the profile. Watch any plane coming in to land and look at that profile, there it is.

Brought out of retirement by the USAF during the Vietnam war and re named " Puff the magic dragon".

If you've never flown in one you don't know what you've missed.

To the person who loves the DH Dragon Rapide. A couple of years ago I was at Duxford and had a flight in one for £25, what a bargain.

Actually they are all great planes as someone once said " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" how true that is. :rolleyes:

Have a nice weekend everyone

Frank

There have been many fine aircraft in the past, present and will be in the future. I love them all. ;)

I suspect this is like watches. The cost may not influence the final choice. The degree of complication is also not relevant. It is down to how the item carries out its duties?

It must be down to how it works for us, also, we do have very good taste. :D

What a fine group of people.

Flew in a "Vicky" many a time. The RAF have the seats fitted backwards (facing the tail).

Many a time this was my most beautiful aircraft. The most memorable when it came to take me home from an exercise in Denmark that was basically 3 weeks living in a stinky soaking hole in the ground! (I could have posted a pic of a standard RAF version, but I liked this picture better.)

c130_7103_7.jpg

just on a divers note, in 1982 i got offered a vulcan for sale, it was £3000!!!

but it would have cost a gazzillion pounds to transport it home

neva mind eh!

sam

fa6fb4c0.jpg

This is a fantastic aircraft, and anybody who thinks different 'aint got no soul when it comes to aeroplanes!!!!

I do quite a lot of work at Gatwick and Heathrow airports and the 747 Jumbo is THE most gracefull thing you've ever seen when taking off and landing, despite it's gargantuan size - a real beut. Crying shame about Concorde....seen it many times. Bloody deafening when it takes off.

Garry,

If you've lived and worked on a Harrier base you'd learn to hate them, bloody noisy things. (is it only me or does the word noisy always look as if it is spelt wrong?).

Also seen too many fall out of the sky. I remember once one pilot was trying the 25 foot hover and practicing the bow to the crowd prior to a show and the thing just dropped as if he'd switched off the engines! Boy did that make a mess of the pan!

Had another go down and I was part of the search party. Luckily the jockey got out in time. You just don't realise how dangerous they are until you see one in bits spread over about 50 acres!

The Harrier was also the reason we never lost a dogfight during the Falklands conflict. The plane could virtually fly sideways by using its sideways positioned vertical jets. Absolutely superb machine!!

Hi PG,

Everything has it's " dodgy ones " I suppose and it's been developed further I believe, but I just love the things - totally unique, almost a plane and a heli in one.

I love the shape as well, not the most gracefull, but agressive and serious looking.

Probably my all time fave.

I saw a Harrier go down in Germany many yonks ago. The pilot ejected as the aircraft fell and he hit the side of a building. :o:( Toast. :(

I was told that the Harrier was bloody hard to fly and demands utmost concentration from the driver.

I wouldn't like to try.

I fancied a go in a Lightning F6, now that was a real sportscar. :D And a bit more reliable than an F104 (bigger wings).

Hi Stan

Lightnings are my favourite too. Never seen one fly and, unless I go abroad, I don't think I ever will - I think there may be some flying in South Africa. They were fantastic to fly apparently and very manouverable - as you say very much a sportscar. But not very pretty, though I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Wasn't the F104 Starfighter nicknamed "the missile with a man in it"? I've heard that they were very fast in a straight line but but took an age to change direction, hence they were good at intercepting things but naff all use at dogfighting.

Cheers

Paul :)

Hi Paulus,

I saw an F6 doing about 300 knots at 50 feet above the runway, the mad bas**** pulled the nose up and kicked the afterburners in. It nearly flattened us with the shockwave. :o

That machine is a very powerful beast and a very fine aeroplane.

Try doing some research into the politics that got the F104 sold to foreign government’s, it is a real eye opener. Sorry, I don’t have the links anymore. :(