• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Roger

The Most Beautiful?

With the recent untimely retirement of Concorde, what do forum members consider the most beautiful aircraft ever??

I will start with mine.......The Hawker Sea Fury

Roger

I'll go for another of Sir Sydney Camm's classics in the form of the Hawker Hunter.

Or maybe another big Delta, in the form of the North American XB70 Valkyrie...

This is a tough question - there are som many; the Lockheed F-104 Starfigfhter, Lockheed SR71 Blackbird for two - but my choice is the Avro Vulcan - as well as its revoluntionary design it is 100% British and was only ever used by the RAF.

vulcan_053.jpg

vulcan_054.jpg

I've never seen one fly, but I have always liked the De Havilland Dragon Rapide - very graceful and classy. The other favourites of mine are the De Havilland Mosquito from WW2, also the Spitfire (of course!) and the Schneider Trophy seaplanes that went before it.

Here's a picture of the Dragon Rapide.

Cheers

Paul :)

post-8-1069962669.jpg

Here's one of the Schneider trophy seaplanes. This is the Supermarine S6, designed by R.J.Mitchell. The trophy was won outright by Britain in 1931 when an S6B reached a speed of 340mph, however this was a bit of a forgone conclusion as this was the only plane to fly in the race :o . Two weeks later it set a new world speed record of 407mph - not bad for 1931 :D

Toodle pip

Paul :)

post-8-1069964233.jpg

Hi,

I would go along with the Vulcans, Spitfires and Mosquitoes etc all ready mentioned. It might be a bit ungainly on the ground but for me one of the most striking aircraft I've seen in flight is the Norththrop B2A Spirit.

post-8-1069974164.jpg

For me,

Avro Vulcan B Mk.2 in white anti flash paint from the 1960's.

Or, how about the prototype of this amazing aircraft?

post-8-1069979869.jpg

Some may laugh at this, and yes, of course the Concorde and Spitfire, but there is a stunning grace to me about a Boeing 747 in flight. It is a magnificent aircraft.

Hello,

This is a tough one...

I am quite attached to G-GFCC a PA28, but that is becuase it was the aircraft I flew my first solo in.

I also quite like the DH Vampire..

Here is my one of my fathers old sqaudron (the vampires at the rear) flying over Buck palace...

Cheers.

post-8-1070015931.jpg

continued...

But for modern high tech beauty you can beat this aircraft....

I took this photo at Fairford this year (DVD now available :o) )

p.g..

Reference the Starfighter...

People who lived in Germany used to say.

"If you want an F-104 Starfighter, simply buy a field in Germany and wait...."

Some may laugh at this, and yes, of course the Concorde and Spitfire, but there is a stunning grace to me about a Boeing 747 in flight. It is a magnificent aircraft.

Well now you've reminded me about civil aircraft I just have to nominate the VC10!

0011.jpg