• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Gruen site.

JoT made a reply to one of my recent posts saying that he knew bugger all about watches. He’s not the only one, neither do I. I do know more than I did before I joined the forum but I am always happy to get more information.

Getting more information on companies that have long been out of business is always very difficult unless you find a website like this one:-

http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/

This is a site that attempts to clarify the history and importance of the Gruen company. Gruen was an American company often using Swiss parts and having a factory there but was truly American in origin.

I only started to research this company after I bought the ladies Gruen for Rowena and the above site has been very helpful and informative.

It is a shame that there are so few sites like this that try fill in the gaps in our knowledge. I’m taking an interest in Gruen since visiting Paul’s site.

Watch this space……………..

• Like 1

Hey up Ian,

I saw this site a while back and I'm still havin' a look at it. I guess I will have to buy one at sometime ;)

Do you know of a source of these that won't offend our host?

I may need to save up, a bit. :( ;)

I have just bought a nice Gruen from a good bloke. :)

Thanks old mate.

Stan bugger me - checked out the web site :lol:

Love the "Gruen Curvex" with "patented movment that curves with the case" and the "Ristside".

Great web site - I agree Stan - there are too few sites like this around; for people like me that know bugger all!

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Hey up Stan,

Your best bet is eBay.I recommend a 214 with a dial on it as most Spaceviews are fake! I can modify an Accucell so that it does what the manufacturer claims it does and so that it actually drops the voltage properly ;)

Should you decide that you'd like a Spaceview I can modify a watch for you using recently manufactured white hands and a genuine Bulova crystal.

I don't think Roy is repairing them anymore! :(

Best Regards,

Ian

Ian,

How do you modify the accucell? I though about increasing the resistance then, when its installed, jump start the watch with something like a AA battery in parallel if it needs the extra current to get going.

If its a secret, can I buy one from you for a 218? :ph34r:

Cheers,

Mat

JoT,

This is a very good site, great for people like us who are just begining to learn about watches. It seems that Fred Gruen was a stickler for quality and hence the good reputation of his watches at the time. I like the bit about Rolex now using the Precision works as it's admin building. Rolex must be very proud to be allowed to use it. :o:lol::lol:

Ian,

I will do a bit more research into hummers I think. I have seen some bloody ugly ones on eBay. :o But there must be some nice ones out there, trouble is that they will fetch high prices. :(

If I need help I'll shout, thank you. If you wre getting rid of any Accutrons, please let me know.