• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Alas

Forum Characteristics

Wonder if you all have noticed distinct differences between forums as regards the character and personality of the forum.

I use watch, cars and music forums and each is distinctly different from the others. If I take for example this forum. I find it friendly, helpful and humourous with a large dollop of respect for peoples opinions.

Another forum I use rarely(could be car, watch or music) is arrogant, smug and patronising. There is a clique that seems to spend its time trying to belittle anyone that is not in their 'gang', or disagrees with their opinion for no obvious reason. Obviously there are plenty of forum members that are ok but they tend to be overshadowed by the 'clique'

So then I thought do these people behave the same way when they visit other forums or do they conform to that forums norm.

What do you all think. ;)

Alasdair

Edited by Alas

Yes, I seen it too. Most of time I've found aggression/cliques in the non UK based ones, so it might just be a cultural thing.

Just look at how we all reacted to the news about Paul being seriously ill in hospital, it say a lot about the people that come here.

I always think of fora as a bit like boozers. This place is a bit like my old local The Boat in Penkridge - good beers, friendly locals, always the chance of a good chat/debate and a great place to learn new stuff. You get the odd troublemaker but they dont last long... Other places are like the Three Crowns in Plymouth (still a favourite of mine, along with the Two Trees...) - you only go in if you're invited, have been fully briefed beforehand and keep your head down for a bit. Don't get lairy or you'll get your head kicked in :lol:

Sadly a lot of places are like Wetherspoon pubs - run of the mill, same type of people, disposable but they're OK if there's nothing better around. Often huge, cavernous places where it's easy to get lost looking for the bogs. You tend to get a hard croud in near the big screen and a quieter lot at the other end of the bar who try not to cause too much trouble and chat amongst themselves...

I only frequent two fora and this is the only one I bother posting in. Long may it continue!

Cheers, mine's a Pedigree please landlord! :cheers:

Yes I've noticed very distinct differences at various forums , I don't necessarily think it's a cultural thing either as I'm a regular at two US car forums and a US watch forum and they're always friendly , in fact the watch forum displays a very similar attitude to this one with hecklers and show offs getting very short shrift.

On the other hand there is a US based watch forum specifically for a certain brand of watch and I've always found it to be very clique , if you don't have a vast collection of the most desireable models from that particular marque , preferably NOS boxed, any posts or enquiries you might make usually go unanswered or at best get a demeaning or derogatory response .

or at best get a demeaning or derogatory response .

We only do that with Mac :D

Bring it on ya lily livered wimps :tease: :tongue2:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

or the Red Rekord :ph34r:

take no notice of 'em Stan :lol:

I always think of fora as a bit like boozers. This place is a bit like my old local The Boat in Penkridge - good beers, friendly locals, always the chance of a good chat/debate and a great place to learn new stuff. You get the odd troublemaker but they dont last long... Other places are like the Three Crowns in Plymouth (still a favourite of mine, along with the Two Trees...) - you only go in if you're invited, have been fully briefed beforehand and keep your head down for a bit. Don't get lairy or you'll get your head kicked in :lol:

Sadly a lot of places are like Wetherspoon pubs - run of the mill, same type of people, disposable but they're OK if there's nothing better around. Often huge, cavernous places where it's easy to get lost looking for the bogs. You tend to get a hard croud in near the big screen and a quieter lot at the other end of the bar who try not to cause too much trouble and chat amongst themselves...

I only frequent two fora and this is the only one I bother posting in. Long may it continue!

Wow you know the Boat in Penkrigde!!!! My Ex in laws live there, small world :)

Ooh aaar! :lol:

Dscn0132.jpg

The bouncers are nice here too. Shame about the lack of bar-maids though!

Edited by Who. Me?

Jase does the best as our bar-maid ;)

Dscn0132.jpg

That's what keeps me coming back. Can't bear the thought of missing a return of the Red Rekord.

Dscn0132.jpg

We are not worthy, we are not worthy....

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Anyone up for doing a PhotoShop of Jase in his bar-maid outfit? Here's your canvas...

gallery_207_8_454077.jpg

(That ole' "What Do You Look Like?" thread will haunt us all some day, I'm sure.)

Edited by SharkBike

Anyone up for doing a PhotoShop of Jase in his bar-maid outfit? Here's your canvas...

gallery_207_8_454077.jpg

(That ole' "What Do You Look Like?" thread will haunt us all some day, I'm sure.)

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii BIG RESPECK :lol:

I've been having problems with a well know free anti virus programme so went on their forum to try and find the answer.

Bugger me, their rules and mods make Atiila the Hun look like Dale Winton wrapped in candy floss! :eek:

After reading a few noobs being shot down like clays I was too scared to register and ask! :ph34r:

Mind you the thought of Jase as the forum bar wench is even more frightening :fear:

Really? Do they run the pub or do they live in the village? It's where I grew up, and I've been boozing in that hostelry since I was 14 so I'd probably know them. Hell, I could be related to them!

Really? Do they run the pub or do they live in the village? It's where I grew up, and I've been boozing in that hostelry since I was 14 so I'd probably know them. Hell, I could be related to them!

They live in the village, Ex mother-in-law works in the optitions!!!! God if you are related, I'm in trouble!! :(

someone told me that any two complete strangers who live within 250 miles of each other will only be 5 contacts apartfrom knowing someone the other knows, ie one of them will know someone who knows someone etc.

I was in Newcastle at a mates birthday, a mate of his he met at college brought his girfriend along who used to be a student nurse in a hospital where our gp was a junior doctor! small world!