• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Larry from Calgary

Anybody Recognise This Movement?

I found this buried deep in the *Bay netherworld as a hidden "buy it now" item. It has lugs on it and is being sold as a wrist watch, but even my untrained eye can see that it started it's life as a pocket watch.

Can anybody out there identify the brand or shed some light on when it might have been constructed.

I know very little, well okay how about SFA about pocket watches and would appreciate any input.

98fb4.jpg

99vn2.jpg

101cx4.jpg

Thanks in advance

An interesting piece of time!

The base caliber is a french 'Lepine Calibre 5', with a swiss lever escapement, an old temperature compensation (this bow over the balance wheel, as from Breguet) and a parachute shock absorber... made about in the 1860ies.

The case isn't original - of course - and came later to this movement (the word remontoir in the case stands for a crown winded watch).

The movement was probably made by Japy Freres, a manufacturer for ebauches.

Andreas

(by the way, this shock proof system is not the original Parachute shock absorber system made by Breguet... this little screw beside the balance end stone is there not existing)

Watch makers like M.I. Tobias, London (who was indeed a swiss man) made such things...

Andreas

Guest Rabbit

:D

Nice and pretty.

Could have been a Ladies pocket watch all them years ago. I have one with a similar type of face.

Rabbit

Edited by Rabbit