• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Robert

Anyone Know About Hdd Recorders?

I get poor aerial reception here so I've got Sky Freeview.

I'd like to either replace the Sky box with another which includes a HDD, or get a HDD recorder but know nothing about them. I don't want Sky+ or any other subscription.

Presumably the program guide on these only works with aerial freeview. To use the recorder I'm guessing that the sky freeview box has to be set to the correct channel and left switched on?

I fancy a combined DVD/HDD recorder such as Topfield 5800PVR

I've tried dowloading the manuals but don't understand all the terminology :(

Has anyone any experience of these?

We bought a JVC about 12 months back........its the best video device we ever had....the "freeze live TV" is an absolute godsend when the phone or the doorbell rings. This one can freeze for up to 3 hours.

Also, if you set up the timer to record....you can , whist its recording, go and watch the prgramme from the beginning whist its still recording.

I heartily recommend one.....ours has only an 80Gb drive....I wish we had gone for the 160Gb.

Roger

I get poor aerial reception here so I've got Sky Freeview.

I'd like to either replace the Sky box with another which includes a HDD, or get a HDD recorder but know nothing about them. I don't want Sky+ or any other subscription.

Presumably the program guide on these only works with aerial freeview. To use the recorder I'm guessing that the sky freeview box has to be set to the correct channel and left switched on?

I fancy a combined DVD/HDD recorder such as Topfield 5800PVR

I've tried dowloading the manuals but don't understand all the terminology :(

Has anyone any experience of these?

I like the idea of the Topfield.

I bought one of Panasonic's top notch DVD recorders a few yrs ago. It has time slip, & as well as discs takes a RAM cartridge which has 16hrs of space on it. I live in flat & can't have Sky+ - got cable. I would like something that can record 2 things at once etc. Would the Topfield work with my cable box?

Toppie 'boxes are good and so are Humax ones. There are hacks out there that automatically remove ads during the recording too, which are very nice :thumbsup:

Yes as it's only going to get the decoded signal from the SKY box, it will only record what you are watching/ set the SKY box too.

It really depends on disk size you want and how much you want to spend. They are little computers, normally based on Linux, so heat and noise depend on the components used.

Edited by strange_too

I bought one of Panasonic's top notch DVD recorders a few yrs ago. It has time slip, & as well as discs takes a RAM cartridge which has 16hrs of space on it. I live in flat & can't have Sky+ - got cable. I would like something that can record 2 things at once etc. Would the Topfield work with my cable box?

As you've got cable, you need to get a V Box from Virgin. They have 3 tuners and cost £150

As you've got cable, you need to get a V Box from Virgin. They have 3 tuners and cost £150

Crap. Don't you get anything free with your subscription these days? :nono:

Yes as it's only going to get the decoded signal from the SKY box, it will only record what you are watching/ set the SKY box too.

Here's a quote from the Toppy forum -

if you are talking about the topfield 5800, it can ONLY record a freeview stream, it won't record analogue or some other way from a sat reciever

My head hurts with this :(

if you are talking about the topfield 5800, it can ONLY record a freeview stream, it won't record analogue or some other way from a sat reciever

I would have thought you could tune it the channel the SKY broadcasts on, but it appears I'm wrong. I don't use SKY so it was an educated guess.

I would have thought you could tune it the channel the SKY broadcasts on, but it appears I'm wrong. I don't use SKY so it was an educated guess.

Yes that would've made sense to me too. I thought you would just take the output as if its going to the tv and plug it into the Toppy.