• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
zambrotta11

Heep Needed On This Pocket Watch Please!

Hello everyone,

Recently my Father inherited multiple items, including this watch, from his Aunt. We have been told that it belonged to his Grandmother but I do not know that for certain.

The watch appears to be swiss made with a 800 silver content. It has the serial number 61431 marked throughout the watch. It is also marked with JH and has a strange mark which I can't make out.

The condition of the watch is not great and I have attempted to clean or repair it in any way.

I would welcome any information that anyone could give me about this watch and if possible could you give me a value.

Regards,

Stephen

CIMG1170.jpg

CIMG1169.jpg

CIMG1190.jpg

CIMG1176.jpg

CIMG1178.jpg

Edited by zambrotta11

Hi I am no pocket watch expert, but to me condition is paramount, I dont think I would be shot down too fast if I was to say I wouldnt expect too much in the way of value here, it does look old possibly 1830's,

Cool hands but unless thems diamonds, I wouldnt think in its current state to be worth more than £50 to £80 silver content,....just guessin tho and I hope its worth more than I reckoned

:ph34r:

Almost... that is an old swiss pocket watch from about the 1870ies in a simple version. The outer case is out of silver, the inner dust cover ist just metal (was a cheap watch). That 'strange mark' in the back lid is a wood grouse, the swiss silver mark.

The movement is a simple ebauche-Movement with a cylinder escapement and only 6 jewels and a solid brass balance wheel.

I guess, this watch was made for export, because on the balance cock are the letters 'F' and 'S' (fast/slow) and not A/R (avance/retard).

The hands are quite pretty, but I think they are only copper and not gold (with glass stones).

Regards, Andreas