• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Mikrolisk

Fine Pw With 'lepine Caliber Ii'

Hi again,

because this fine watch went yesterday evening to my jeans pocket, I will present you this watch. It is my oldest "wearable" watch I have - built in about

1830, thus it is used with a key. The movement is the second of the five so-called Lepine-calibers, and was built between 1820 and 1840 in raw movement

manufactures like Japy Freres. The watchmaker/seller of this watch is still unknown, there are no marks, signs or punchs that will give me any hint.

This watch is one of my favorites, as I saw this movement the first time, I fell in love with it. Although it is very old (now 170-180 years!), it still ticks and

keeps time really good! As you know, the cylinder escapement isn't the precisest one, but for me it is ok. I can keep it running (without adjusting)

for a few days, so that's ok.

So, heres the outside of the watch:

Front:

lepine2_front.jpg

Back:

lepine2_back.jpg

The case is out of silver, richly decorated, with a fine gilted border (front and back bezel), hard to see in the images. What you cannot see, is the thickness

of this pocket watch, it's only just under 1 centimeter! Other watches are much thicker! The diameter is 46mm (1,81"). The dial is out of enamel, the brass

hands are Breguet-style.

lepine2_astaubdeckel.jpg

On the outer dust cover there is - hardly to see - the swiss silver mark and the numbers "34178 / 1004".

lepine2_istaubdeckel.jpg

The inner dust cover is made out of brass and signed "Echappement a Cylindre / Quatre trous en rubis".

lepine2_werk.jpg

The movement... *OhILoveIt* ... is an old bridge movement known as "Lepine Caliber II" or "Caliber a la Demi-Breguet" with 4 jeweled bearings (thus 6 rubies),

a cylinder escapement, key wind and key set and a complete maltese stop wind that you can see in the next "under-dial" image:

lepine2_werkzb.jpg

When this watch came to me, it made me exasperating. I wound it, it runs for a while - and stopped. I opened it, it starts running and running with a strong

beat... so closed it and minutes later it stopped. I opened it, watched the strong beat in all positions, and later in my pocket it stopped.

First I saw the hands draggled on the crystal - you must know in this flat watch there is really not much space between dial and crystal - and fixed that.

But that problem remains - until I noticed that the square end of the center staff was just a little bit too long and touched the back lid. Well, I shortened

it a little bit and got a really lovely timepiece!

Regards, Andreas

Guest Rabbit

:o

I like that, first time I have seen that movement.

Is that a tea-cup you have used to take the photo's?

:thumbup: Rabbit

I really love the arcdhitecture of this mvt and the look with these blue screw.

Can we imagine these screw original or someone customised the mvt?

Sorry, I have only a small knowledge in wristwatches and I don't know anything in PW.

Bertrand

The screws are original. It was common in these time to make a movement look really fine, thus with blued screws, springs and decorated plates and so on.

Andreas