• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Egger

How To Spot A Fake

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on how to spot a fake Omega Speedmaster Moon watch ?

I have been offered one and he says he has all the paper work etc so is this proof enough ?

I am just getting into watches so I would I guess be easily fooled !

Any advice very much welcome,

Thanks in advance

Mark

I'm sure others will say the same - buy the seller - if you don't know him and the deal sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Research the price for genuine items ( i'm guessing £800-£1200) and I think there is an omega buying guide on the bay too.

Get a picture of the serial number of the movement on the moon watch and submit it to Omega website for verification.

Get some photos and post them up here,

Is the seller a private seller? Are they from a forum?

Remember to 'buy the seller' if they check out with references or are a forum regular then you should be OK....

Also do lots of research, there are loads of reference photos out there on the net, read up and you will soon spot a dodgy one....

Hi,

I have seen it advertised but not on a forum. I dont know the guy and as far as I am aware he is not a member of any forums ( But I only know of this one )

He says he has all the paper work and box, he seems genuine enough but that isn't 100% assurance I know. He wants £875 for it and its 3 years old.

I will try and get some pics sent to me and is the Omega buyers guide on ltheir website?

Thanks

Mark

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a moon watch a specific Speedy from a few certain years (eg 1969-1974)?????, it strikes me a bit silly to call a speedy a moon watch when it actually wasn't.

please excuse the ignorance

19395357__1202034996__1__1-bcc50c8d8f822

To be honest you can't see much in a picture that small. Is it on Gumtree or the 'bay?

Go to your nearest Omega AD and get one in your hands, as you are looking at newer ones. Look at the typeface, case back and get a feel for it. Research really really helps you to get a feel for what these pieces are like.

I'm no expert on these but I have owned one. It looks a bit older than 3 years to me. Is that the correct bracelet for a 2005?

Hi Robert

I have looked at a few pictures on the internet and I think your right, that does look like an older model strap . If he has just used a picture from the net as reference then ok but if its the actual watch I think I will leave it. The last thing I want is to do a 280 mile round trip and be disapointed at the end of it.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Egger

Quick update,

The guy gave me the watch serial number which I cross checked at Omega customer services and they verified that it is an original number relating to that watch, they also told me when it was dispatched to one of their retailers and that also matched where the guy said he had purchased it from. I am assuming now I should proceed and that it all seems 100% genuine. He has told me the number on the warranty card matches the number etched on the back of the watch and that the cards are dealer stamped. I think all my homework is done and now I just have to make sure the watch does actually work !!!

I cant wait to get it on my wrist as I have waited a long time to be able to afford one of these !

Thanks for the info

Great - lets have some real piccies once you have it on your wrist :)

Quick update,

The guy gave me the watch serial number which I cross checked at Omega customer services and they verified that it is an original number relating to that watch, they also told me when it was dispatched to one of their retailers and that also matched where the guy said he had purchased it from. I am assuming now I should proceed and that it all seems 100% genuine. He has told me the number on the warranty card matches the number etched on the back of the watch and that the cards are dealer stamped. I think all my homework is done and now I just have to make sure the watch does actually work !!!

I cant wait to get it on my wrist as I have waited a long time to be able to afford one of these !

Thanks for the info

Hi Cookie520,

Will do ! As soon as I get it which should be by the weekend I will post some pics.

Also the picture used on the advert was just for reference and the strap number is 849 which matches the other 2005 ones I have seen.

Kind regards

Hi All,

Further update its all gone wrong !!!

I am now in the market again as this one fell through.

Think I would prefer the " Sapphire sandwich " version if I can find one.

Enjoy your weekend chaps

Edited by Egger

Oh no!

Sorry to hear that...Keep an eye on the various forums, they often come up and most deals between members are hassle free....

PS The sapphire sandwich isnt really a Moon watch :ph34r:

Sorry to hear that - yea my preference would probably be the sapphire sandwich too. AS I 'm not planning on any space trips in the near future the thought of the sapphire shattering in a vacuum doesn't worry me too much :D ...btw was it a dodgy watch, seller or both ?

Hi All,

Further update its all gone wrong !!!

I am now in the market again as this one fell through.

Think I would prefer the " Sapphire sandwich " version if I can find one.

Enjoy your weekend chaps

Hi,

The reason I never proceeded was when I wanted his name and home number all correspondence went cold ?? He maybe genuine but if I had something to sell then I would give my home number after a few mobile calls to verify if the buyer had a serious interest. Also other bits and bobs never quite tallied up which also sent the alarm bells ringing.

When he called me it was always on a withheld number and that had me a bit worried which maybe my over cautiousness but I am too green to really trust my judgement on real or fake so I have decided to just leave it and hope that one comes up on here first.

I hasten to add the guy maybe genuine but I have been told some horror stories which have made me very cautious, also he was insistent on meeting up instead of a home viewing even though I gave him all my details home and moby numbers , maybe he's as cautious as I am but as far as I am concerened both partys have to be happy so its now off.

So the search is back on sadly, anybody got one ?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the vote of confidence as part of me was still itching to go for it but the last thing I want to happen is 5 hours later for me to be drowning my sorrows in the pub and checking the time of last orders on a fake watch that cost me good money :o

Hi Phil,

Hopefully it will be soon as I've waited a long time to own a decent watch and I don't want my over eagerness to be my downfall.

Edited by Egger

I hope I did the right thing as I really like the speedmaster and like I said I have never owned a proper watch before and can't wait to finally get one.

I am constantly checking the forum for one to appear and hopefully one will show up soon.

If anyone sees one or knows of one could you let the seller know I am after one or contact me and let me know via this post ?

Hope I am not being cheeky but my wife probably want me to get one soon too as I have been driving her nuts with my constant searching !

Best wishes

Potz,

Not long to wait for the pics as I get it on saturday, fingers crossed !

:dntknw::photo:

Potz,

the deal all feel through sadly :cry2: so still looking !