• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Egger

How To Spot A Fake

EDIT: just realised this is a very old thread - but I think the info I'm adding is fresh and useful, so I hope no one minds. :)

Just like to say I find Omega are EXCELLENT for helping you out in judging a fake. Even with my limited experience, I was easily able to spot a fake Constellation on eBay today thanks to the sheer ammount of information Omega make freely available. Top marks to them! They are the Porsche of watch makers. :)

http://www.omegawatches.com has a nice Vintage section for checking out models and movements (you need to register).

You can also download a PDF matching serials to years.

If you want to see what the movement should look like, there's this website:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi...amp;0&2uswk (just search for Omega - they have most movements - and many others too!)

But, in short, with just the Omega official vintage watch look-up system, as long as you have the calibre number and serial AND Omega case number, you can pretty much check authenticity. If things don't match up, walk away. If the case, calibre and serial all match, the only thing left is to inspect the dial carefully to ensure it is original and not a redial. :)

I don't think anyone would bother faking an Omega to such an extent as to make it pass the above checks. Most of the time it seems you'll find the fake is either really obvious, or it's a parts bin mash-up of genuine Omega bits in inauthentic order.

I must repeat, I am a total N00B myself, but this is what I have seen after some fairly intensive research. Hope it helps! And obviously, correct me if I'm off the mark.

Edited by jasonm

Oops - had my link to another board removed. Sorry jasonm. My bad. Didn't read the rules properly - won't happen again. I'll reference the resources directly, as that should be ok:

Extensive PDF on the Omega Constellation range - http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/movement3.pdf

Edit: there's actually a SET of PDFs there - http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/movement.pdf

Blog post about spotting a fake Constellation - http://omega-constellation-collectors.blog...01_archive.html

:)

Edited by Greg

Well guys, maybe its a late response from me, ignore!

I'm a regular to the flea market here in our city, India.

Few of the guys here offer several models of brand new Omega,Patek philippe,Vacheron & constantin,Rolex,Cartier etc with box and papers, and they are a proper replica/fake priced at a very insulting cost of 50 to 75 dollars max.

A genuine watch need'nt necessarily be concluded on just the basis of box and papers.

Well guys, maybe its a late response from me, ignore!

I'm a regular to the flea market here in our city, India.

Few of the guys here offer several models of brand new Omega,Patek philippe,Vacheron & constantin,Rolex,Cartier etc with box and papers, and they are a proper replica/fake priced at a very insulting cost of 50 to 75 dollars max.

A genuine watch need'nt necessarily be concluded on just the basis of box and papers.

Hi Ravi

Which flea market do you go to for watches? Have you ever seen a real vintage out there? I was thinking of going visiting when I am there; but wasn't sure where to start. I was thinking of going to a few small watch shop in Delhi and Bombay; dunno if thats a good idea

Ujjwal

Just like to say I find Omega are EXCELLENT for helping you out in judging a fake. Even with my limited experience, I was easily able to spot a fake Constellation on eBay today thanks to the sheer ammount of information Omega make freely available.

I think the vintage Omega reference site is helpful, but there are mistakes in that data base and the almost complete lack of photos limits its usefulness. I've found that Omega collectors have a lot more information about fakes and are more forthcoming about it than Omega themselves are. I've been repeatedly disappointed by the marked lack of expertise in judging bogus watches by many of the big brands, the Omegamania sale of a 'verified' SM300 with a 'stubbies' dial and fake RN case markings being one example.

ujjwal!

I'm from hyderabad, i do visit the flea market at charminar, and there are many REAL vintage watches like omega, Rolex, Longines, Tissot, IWC, Bulova, Elgin, favre leuba, West end watch company, Raymond weil, juvenia etc offered by various guys there. The one in bombay and delhi are quite popular and are open seven days a week, Im not sure about the place. Maybe you can try the next time you're here in India. And i saw you post on 'wanted' regarding omega watch. Maybe i can help you out. You can mail me ravi DOT sandilyaa AT g mail DOT com

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on how to spot a fake Omega Speedmaster Moon watch ?

I have been offered one and he says he has all the paper work etc so is this proof enough ?

I am just getting into watches so I would I guess be easily fooled !

Any advice very much welcome,

Thanks in advance

Mark

Never buy one from ebay :)