• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

First Omega Choice

Twiz

Firstly hello - my first post so please be gentle :) (sorry if it's a bit long!)

Basically I'm in the market for my first "proper" watch - let's just say I've done my bit of buying nice jewellery for the wife, paying the bills etc and so it's time to treat myself to my one extravagance, but one I shall wear daily and I expect to last me at least 20 years.

Budget can be up to £2k. It needs to be fairly classic and something that won't date too quickly. Sports style and probably chrono. I'd like new if for no other reason than it's supposed to be a special treat for me and I don't think it will feel the same if I'm not the first to wear it (I'm not ruling out future 2nd hand purchases though.....!).

Somehow I've narrowed it down to Omega, as the brand seems to fit somehow. Rolex too obvious for me. Tag I don't think will age as well. Others as I'm sure people will recommend I probably don't know enough about - but I am happy to listen. (I well admit I could be completely wrong with these assumptions - but it's just how I currently see each brand).

So far I've looked at the Speedmaster Pro:

Speedmasterpro.jpg

I like the idea of a classic wind up mechanism. However, I'm a bit worried about how well this watch would live up to my daily use. At the moment I'm used to a casio G-shock which never leaves my wrist, whether playing sport, in the shower, swimming etc etc. At only 50m water rating I guess I'd have to be a lot more careful with a Pro?? I'm also concerned about the crystal as I understand the type on the pro is more prone to scratching?

This then leads me to the auto version:

Speedmasterautodate.jpg

This I do like a lot, although in the flesh I worry it looks a little packed with so much info on the face. Still a possibility though. Also considering the Seamaster Chrono:

Seamasterchrono.jpg

Would be interested to hear views on this compared to the Speedmaster - or is it really just down to personal preference and how it feels on the wrist?! I'll certainly be trying on lots to compare anyway.

Finally I've also seen a 50th year limited edition of the Speedmaster pro. Benefits to me are the sapphire cyrstal so perhaps a little more resistant to my daily use, and maybe I could work around the 50m water limit! That said it's something like a £500 premium (from what I can see) and I've no idea whether this is a worthwhile investment or is it just Omega making silly money? I'd appreciate a more learned opinion!!

Sorry for the long first post, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on my rambblings!!

Cheers, Nik

Hi Nik

Welcome to the forum. All nice watches - the Speedmaster Pro is a modern day classic - you can now buy with Sapphire Crystal rather than Acryllic - so the scratch issue is less of a problem. You are paying for a massive marketing machine, brand promotion and sponsorship when you buy any of the big watch names though. My advice would be to track the Friday and Saturday watch threads and see what comes up there that may grab your fancy.

As far a pre-owned goes - a lot of the watches that come up in sales corner are indistinguishable from new , except for the price ! :)

Good luck with the search and don't forget photos once you've bought.

Cheers

Steve

Hi and welcome to the forum Twiz, it's a good place to be :tongue2:

But its bloody addictive, I'm also a newbie as from this week.

There is forum thread for new members "Introduce yourself" it a great way of getting known.

With reference to your watch quest, I'm an Omega man through and through. I own the plain full size automatic Seamaster year 2002 the one that features in the Bond films. It's a beast on the wrist and fills me full of joy... I like plain faces as I feel they are more subtle and less confusing to look at. I have never used chrongaph features on the watches I have owned. I have a Polar heart rate monitor that I use for stopwatch situations.

I'm also lucky or mad enough to own a 2004 Rolex Explorer, and I can tell you the Omega gets my vote every time, no comparsion. I think all the fakes have cheapen the Rolex brand, and i'm always asked is it real. Very, very annoying.

Anyway hope this has helped... buy whatever your heart tells you, I find with watches that my head loses everytime and I've never regretted going with my gut feelings on a watch....

rite i'm back to the dayjob :bb:

Thanks for the replies you two.

Cookie, I was about to ask what on earth you were on about with the Friday and Saturday threads... but just found one - enlightened!! I'll see what comes up that takes my fancy.

I will keep an eye on the sales corner, but as I said this is a really special treat purchase for me, so as daft as it may sound, I think it's got to be that new purchase feeling for me!! Mind you, I will be keeping an eye out for a decent dress watch too in future....

Getting back on topic, it's nice to know about the Speedmaster and the saphhire option. Does anyone know about the 50th special edition and is it worth looking at?

Also, just how water resistant is the 50m? Or would I be looking at removing it whenever water is around?

Cheers

What a fantastic choice to have!

I did the same evaluation process back in 2001 and so nearly went for "the grail" of the Speedy Pro, but manual wind and no date ruled it out. I went for a Speedy Schumacher Racing in the end.

OmegaDate.jpg

Since then however, the one I would really want (either the America's Cup LE or the standard) would be: -

28945291.gif

Great as an everday watch, chrono, date, diver and so legible in all conditions.

Hey Dougal, like that Speedy, especially with the metal coloured bezel.

Also like the black Seamaster you've posted, but can someone tell me why that retails for nearly £500 more than the blue version I posted? Different mech?

Hey Dougal, like that Speedy, especially with the metal coloured bezel.

Also like the black Seamaster you've posted, but can someone tell me why that retails for nearly £500 more than the blue version I posted? Different mech?

Yes it is the same movt as the Speedy Broad Arrow, hence the price differential!

Budget can be up to £2k. It needs to be fairly classic and something that won't date too quickly. Sports style and probably chrono.

Hi, and welcome Nick :thumbsup:

Questions - does it have to be a chrono? and what size are you looking for?

Personally if it doesn't need to be a chronograph and you are dead-set on Omega I would go for the Seamaster Planet Ocean. This would stand up to a rougher life than the Speedie, and is the one modern Omega that really does it for me.

o_OMEGA_PLANET_OCEAN_45MM_SWISS_ETA2824-

The chrono version is a little above your budget for a new watch, but the non-chrono is the one that would get my vote anyway. Comes in 2 sizes so if 45mm is too large there's a 42.5mm.

If you like big watches and want a chrono maybe time ro look at Sinn. The watch has just been released and is water resistant to 1000m (including using the chrono pushers) so will be fine in the shower :D

sinn%20u1000%20zoom-pics-ansicht-1s.jpg

Rich

Twiz - Hello & :welcome: - I'm certainly not an "Omega basher" but what I have learned here more than anything is you can get some fabulous watches either based on vfm or look that do not say Omega or Rolex on them - Someone already mentioned the Friday / Saturday / Sunday "what r u wearing" threads so have a look through them & I'm sure you'll see what I mean - There are doezens of brands I had never heard of like Ocean7 O&W Sinn Marathon etc etc which make superb watches without the (imo) over inflated prices of the premier marques ...

Paul

Nothing wrong with Omega and they seem to have picked up their game recently as well... There are some new coaxial speedy Pros out now with date at 6 too... and some limited editions like the Beijing and the a few new Basel releases... but make sure you get a discount if you buy new...

Else, and my choice... would be to buy used. there are some great watches for less cash in the sales forums, and vintage is always best but may not fit your lifestyle due to WR issues.

Just sold my Speedy pro, regretting it already!

There is nothing better than the old school classic! I agree with Toshi that the PO is a hell of a machine but you need o have hands like a monkey to wear the full sized one! The bog standard moon watch is a fabulous piece of kit and will make you feel like a million dollars!

that said I think there is massive milage in what JonW is saying, I bought a new Speedy pro with extra straps last year for over £2000 (including additional straps) and sold it yesterday for £1200! IMHO the bet buy of all and by far the coolest is vintage Omega!!!!!!

If you can stomach the cost visit the vintage boutique in London, their watches have been done to such a standard they are basically new, so you get the best of both worlds, retro cool you wont see on anyone else's wrist and basically a new watch! (although I still don't like them and think their prices are insane!!)

I think it is like car ownership, buy any new car (apart from an Enzo) and expect to loose 1/3rd in the first year, buy a classic and you can usually make money! I have owned a couple of dozen vintage Omegas in the past year (including speedies) and never failed to make money on them!!! I know it is not about the money but I would say go Omega vintage!!! Think of it this way, if someone offered you a new Aston DB9 or a birch silver DB5 which would you rather have??

Hi all - many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Toshi - funny you asked the chrono question - I thought I would prefer one but having just been to the boutique in the Royal Exchange, my now current favourite is:

5269946.jpg

Funny how you can change your mind once you see other options and can gets your hands on the real thing.

Spent a good hour or so looking around at all options and came to the conclusion that I really like the simplicity of this model, and with my "monkey like hands" the 45mm version looks bloody good :tongue2: Time out now for a damn good think about it...

Everyone else, yup I take on board all the comments about other brands, vintage and so on... but there's something I really really like about the Omegas, especially the one above now I've seen it in the flesh and tried it on - others might not think so but I do find it quite understated.

This is going to be my daily watch for a long long time, so I'm not too worried about losing money as soon as I walk out of the store. I do appreciate all the opnions though.

dickstar - is that an official Omega vintage boutique? Where's it located?

Cheers, Nik

The first and only brand new Omega I have ever bought (for myself at least) is the Speedmaster Automatic Reduced, which I still have. However, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have bought the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch instead. Despite being a dive watch fan, I have to say that the Moonwatch does not change and become "obsolete" like the Seamaster divers. That said, many vintage Seamaster divers are very collectable indeed :)

I thought I would prefer one but having just been to the boutique in the Royal Exchange, my now current favourite is:

5269946.jpg

Ahhh the boutique in the Royal Exchange wherein is to be found the lovely Laurence, who is female you rotten cynics, and even more gorgeous than the watches....

Toshi - funny you asked the chrono question - I thought I would prefer one but having just been to the boutique in the Royal Exchange, my now current favourite is:

5269946.jpg

Funny how you can change your mind once you see other options and can gets your hands on the real thing.

Spent a good hour or so looking around at all options and came to the conclusion that I really like the simplicity of this model, and with my "monkey like hands" the 45mm version looks bloody good :tongue2: Time out now for a damn good think about it...

Good choice. Personally I would have the one with the orange numbers, but that's just me :D

Rich

PS - These look absolutely fab on Omega mesh BTW :thumbsup:

Picture shamelessly pinched from the net

OmegaMesh042-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Despite being a dive watch fan, I have to say that the Moonwatch does not change and become "obsolete" like the Seamaster divers.

Hear hear that man - the Moonwatch has for a long time been my "grail" watch, and since i acquired one recently has rarely been off my wrist. It is a classic watch that bears everyday use - a bit like my choice of Porsche 911 as an everyday supercar :D

:tongue2:

Despite being a dive watch fan, I have to say that the Moonwatch does not change and become "obsolete" like the Seamaster divers.

Hear hear that man - the Moonwatch has for a long time been my "grail" watch, and since i acquired one recently has rarely been off my wrist. It is a classic watch that bears everyday use - a bit like my choice of Porsche 911 as an everyday supercar :D

:tongue2:

I can't believe that an owner of an Omega Moonwatch can hurt the feeling of the divers and SMP's ... :nono: :nono: :nono:

We should be sticking together and dishing the competiton :blink: :blink:

Once Omega, always Omega.... breaks are allowed to get to know others brands, but one must return to the start or should that be end. OMEGA

Porsche 911..never changing :blink: :blink:

it was originally called the 901 until Peguoet ( or however they spell it ) protested, saying that the 01 thing was their trademark thingy....

By the way the 911 is my grail of cars....

I'm still hurting from the insults to the Omega divers :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Edited by Guz

I'm also in the same boat. I have wanted an Omega for the last umpteen years, which I suppose comes from being a James Bond fan. Just couldn't see myself with a Rolex, and I kinda fell in love with the James Bond Omega. However, I had a friend who used to work for Goldsmiths and she advised to get a different model.

This is the current top runner for me! So it's 7 months till I'm 30. Bit of hard work on the savings front and I will be replacing my Tissot Ballade with this baby. Roll on December!!!

o_OMEGA_PLANET_OCEAN_45MM_SWISS_ETA2824-