• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

'lost' Swiss Watch Brands.

kozza6

Titoni has been mentioned above and according to the Swiss Chamber of Commerce, this company was re-instated on 26-02-1991 - Which means it went out of business and opened again.

Omega is now part of the Swatch Group - but that too went out of business. Which means it is not only a matter of being part of a large corporation.

Breitling and Heuer went out of business. One was taken over by Schneider and the other by Tag.

Favre Leuba went out of business many years ago. The name was revived in the 90s but not much done until recently, when a Spanish "group" has made the public believe that since 1750 (whatever) it has been around. Yeah! right!

I cannot think of many that have not gone bust or have been taken over or have had shareholders buy out. Even Rolex, only recently and VERY quietly has been able to merge the different divisions that were working under "separate" management and bring the lot under the Wilsdorf Foundation.

I don't know much about the pre 60s era - but those were the real Swiss manufacturing days; now it is vastly commercial (full stop).

Ok they`re not Swiss but I`d love to see Smiths, Services, Newmark or other English/British brands make a come back

United_Kingdom.gif :thumbup:

Oh would love to see 'Smiths' back on the market. I love my 'dollar' pocket watches...

Doh....... this is old news, Smiths is coming back, Eddie has it registered, the W10 will be the first model, rules prevent me posting link to thread, but you know where to look.

Marvin are also out there - marvinwatches.com

Ok they`re not Swiss but I`d love to see Smiths, Services, Newmark or other English/British brands make a come back

United_Kingdom.gif :thumbup:

Oh would love to see 'Smiths' back on the market. I love my 'dollar' pocket watches...

Doh....... this is old news, Smiths is coming back, Eddie has it registered, the W10 will be the first model, rules prevent me posting link to thread, but you know where to look.

Marvin are also out there - marvinwatches.com

With a Chinese Seagul caliber? No thanks. That is not what I imagine a revival of a British brand to be. Thank the gods I have an original Smiths W10, albeit with the wrong hands due to well-meaning but badly done restoration before it came to me.

No, with ETA 2801

• 1 year later...

...although the thread is already quite old, I always come across the superbe list of JoT when searching for brands... so I though I give it a revival :-)

as I have some watches from makers gone bust that were not on the list, I would like to add some pics - but it did not work out :-(

I just bought a nice NOS Kander and NOS Lucerne... lovely!!

I had a modern Gruen Swiss,cushion shaped case watch until fairly recently. It had an ETA 2824-2 movement.I sold it because it didn't feel at all comfortable on my wrist and the gold-plating quickly became very plasticky-looking. I used to own a 1957 s.s. manual wind Enicar which had excellent build quality. What are the current models like?

• 3 years later...

Hi, I'm new here. Does anyone know where to look for just ANY information concerning Eiger wristwatches? I've just bought one lately, It looks like late forties/early fifties. Unfortunately, I don't know how to add a photo here...

Hello and welcome to the forum

Unfortunately I can't find anything about older Eiger watches I did hit this on Google http://www.eigeradventure.com/catalog/44 if you mail them they may be able to help.

There is a guide to adding pics at the top of the forum but you will need a photbucket account first.

Cheers

Kev

I have noticed that in buying pre-owned cheap Swiss-made vintage watches, all sorts of names turn up, many of which I have never heard of and probably have no available information about them. Who actually manufactured many of these watches will probably remain a mystery, even if some of them are powered by decent Swiss jewelled movements. So my advice is ,always buy in relation to what you see before you. A well-known Swiss brand with a documented history will obviously fetch more than a watch with a name that has no known pedigree, but don't ignore the unknown - you never know!!

I fully agree, AW!

Three years ago I "knew" that the big name watches in Goldsmiths were good, and I "knew" that the high volume brands in Samuels were crap. You could have told me that Vacheron Constantin were cheap tat and Constantin Weisz were high end...I would not have known!

When I started collecting vintage, I was intent on Omega and the like, and erroneously assumed that anything I hadn't heard of would probably be cheap crap. With some trepidation I acquired a 1960s Enicar, not expecting much, and it has proved to be one of the nicest watches in my collection. Similarly the wonderful Leonidas Chronograph I bought in December, and even the little Desta alarm watch I found a few weeks ago. If I had refused to look at lesser known brands, I would not now have these lovely watches.

I got a nice little 1960's nileg 10micron Gold plate, for £10 off the bay and when I got it home it had a nice Felsa auto movement in it, the movement on its own sells for about £30/40 currently so think I got a bargain there, it was about this time felsa were putting movements into Brietlings so I like to pretend I got a gold plate breitling for a tenner!

• 3 years later...
35 minutes ago, Chris Walker said:

Hello

anyone heard of Adig automatic watches. I have an example of one and would like to know more

Wow this one has been dug up out of the trenches a few times.

No I have not heard of this brand.

A Google search asks if I meant one of the following instead...

Zadig, Adi, Adina, or Adec.

One other post on another forum years ago mentioned this brand and asked a very similar question. The dial apparently read Adig glycudor nivarex 25 rubis, or something like that. Should've just copied and pasted, but I'm being lazy. Lol

Anyway, no responses to that post either. Didn't bother to check the date of the post, may have been you. Not sure.

Maybe you can provide some pictures for us? Supposedly they're worth a thousand words...

1 hour ago, Chris Walker said:

Hello

photo hear hope it comes up

https://ibb.co/hCYkO6

Quite a nice looking watch

Can't help with the brand, any chance of a picture of the movement? could well be an ETA calibre inside it

There are literally hundreds of Swiss brands that are no longer with us, here is one of mine for your amusement

ZoeM2P8h.jpg