UK Watch Forum banner

Shaving Forum

28K views 262 replies 104 participants last post by  tbyul 
#1 ·
I was shopping for some shaving supplies today...needed a new brush and some Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream, which I can only seem to find online.

Anyway, stumbled on this forum...

http://badgerandblade.com/

I had no idea there was such a thing as a "shaving" community...and so many opinions about shaving methods and accoutrements.

They have over 8,000 members and 500,000 posts...way more than here on The Watch Forum.

Go figure. :D

#2 ·
#3 ·
we are just the bum fluff on the face of life :huh:

#4 ·
Actual quote from the above thread:

"I'm not normally that into straight razors, but THAT is a beautiful piece of shaving equipment!!

Wow.

-Mason

#5 ·
#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wellll! now I'm confused - I was just going to ask if I'm the only one on here who uses shaving oil? BUT, should I post it on the badger forum? :lol:

And I think I've still got a Rolls Razor up in the loft, anyone remember those? Strop the blade in the case back and forwards and cut your own throat no problems :ph34r:

#8 ·
Never have I been so mislead (and subsequently disappointed) by the title of a thread... :D

#9 ·
Cammy you're a tart :lol:

#12 ·
They have over 8,000 members and 500,000 posts...way more than here on The Watch Forum.

This Forum is, I would guess, 98% Male Membership.

The Shaving Forum may be 50% Female membership (probably most of my 710s friends :lol: )

Roger

#14 ·
So, I got to reading about safety razors and stuff, and decided, what the heck? I'll give it a try. So I ordered one of these for $35, along with a couple boxes of blades...

Merkur Heavy Duty (HD)

11c.jpg

It arrived last week, and I must say, it's pretty cool. The German workmanship is top notch and it's kinda fun to load the blades and "fiddle" with it.

The first go was a bit bloody, but after learning to slow down and let the razor do the work, I've had three of the best shaves ever.

They call a perfect shave "BBS" over on the shaving forum. I'm guessing it means "baby's butt shave"...but I could be wrong.

I kind of feel the same way I did when I first discovered mechanical watches. :D

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hate shaving, or to be more accurate my skin hates me shaving, but then it hates me not shaving even more :cry2:

Fecking psoriasis!! :taz: :(

#19 ·
My kids bought me an electric shaver (Philips) for Father's Day, so I feel obliged to use it for a while.

The instructions say that it might take a couple of weeks for the skin to get used to this form of shaving - it's been more than that and my skin and I haven't warmed to it - I don't think it will ever match, never mind beat, a wet shave.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yep, my bro bought me a Braun - I got so frustrated I gave up in the end. It was OK on the face, but the neck was a no go. I had tufts and stray hairs all over the place.

There's something very nice about a wet shave. the best I ever had was in Turkey, from a local barber using a cuthroat. I've thought about getting one myself (a straight, not a Turkish barber) but it looks very involved.

#22 ·
Desperate Dan had the right idea............just burn the bristles off with a blow lamp :eek: :lol:

#24 ·
Popped in to Boots the other day to get some new razor blades for my mach 3.....they cost a bloody fortune!!! I was so pissed off, I decided to buy a safety razor and 10 blades (which cost all of 3 pounds). I fecked the first shave, but after a bit of reading up on the correct procedure, I have been really impressed. I've even dug out an old shaving brush and some shaving cream I got for Christmas a few years ago.

I'm converted and am thinking of getting one of these:

Merkur Futur

which seems to get very good reviews. All in all, it's so much cheaper and actually makes shaving quite enjoyable.

From checking out the internet, there is a whole safety razor shaving community.

Does anyone here use safety razors, or, heaven forbid, a straight razor? :eek:

#40 ·
Popped in to Boots the other day to get some new razor blades for my mach 3.....they cost a bloody fortune!!!
My best bargain is getting 20 at a pop at Costco. US$37 or so. :wallbash:

I was so pissed off, I decided to buy a safety razor and 10 blades (which cost all of 3 pounds). I fecked the first shave, but after a bit of reading up on the correct procedure, I have been really impressed. I've even dug out an old shaving brush and some shaving cream I got for Christmas a few years ago.
My old Gillette model (rescued from an antique/flea market in the 90s) never lets me down. Alas, local retailers do, double-edged razor blades are very hard to find locally, wherever I've lived. Hence the Crabtree & Evelyn Mach3 set (badger brush, Mach3 handle, stand, black with chrome trim) that I helped my daughter (then 6 years old) buy me for Christmas.

I'm converted and am thinking of getting one of these:

Merkur Futur
I had a Merkur I bought in the 1980s, a primo version that curved the blade a little. Well, the man in cutlery shop said it made it superb. Over the years, I tried and I tried, and I couldn't shave without cutting myself somewhere with that damned thing. I finally threw it out in disgust. No, Fleabay was too good for it.

That model looks good, but frankly, don't pay a load of cash. Get something simple, effective, and affordable. Vintage Gillettes and other safety razor holders (remember OO7's in GOLDFINGER?) are not too dear to buy, and work superbly. Like quartz watches to mechanicals, electric razors all but ruined fine shaving.

I believe there's a site called badgerandblade that is full of like-minded gents.

BTW, don't forget to sooth and cleanse the freshly shaved face, and then moisturize. You've just removed a layer of much-needed skin. "Aftershave balms" do both jobs in one. But you can do it easily yourself with witch hazel, towel off, then some 15 SPF skin moisturizer from any shop. Or for US$15 I'll send you a bottle of my own custom preparation.

#25 ·
I use a Mach-3 as well & the price of new blades is extortionate :furious:

What makes it worse is that I hate shaving but loath having a beard even more, nasty itchy things drive me crazy
:wacko:

I want to know why the feck rather then losing hair off my head didn`t evolution develop so that it came off my face instead? :taz:

#26 ·
Never shaved properly for years I just use a couple of pairs of clippers, anything else is to tricky. After a few Smirnoff's I'd probably end up in A&E :lol:

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I use a safety razor Cammy. :)

I'm with Mac, shaving is such a chore, by the time I was 17 I needed 2 shaves a day, could probably grow a beard by 3pm tomorrow, I've often thought about electrolyisis. :D

But I don't use a multi-bladed razor for a good reason, one blade edge drags your skin so why'd you want to drag it 3 times? No wonder so many 30 year old blokes look like Sid James.

#28 ·
ifeckin hate shaving i used to use mach 3 but progressed onto the 5 bladed ones and they are really good ,im lucky enough to have really good skin so i could shave with a bread knife and still look good.

i do have a very good shaving kit but i never use it .i usually shave every 4-5 days or so never everyday maybe thats the key.

#32 ·
If you're thinking of following Cammy's example you might consider adding .... THIS .... to your Christmas list . :doctor:

Julian (L)
I use that Julian, it does what it is claims to do, but.....it stings like hell (wimp) and leaves white splodges on your chops

#31 ·
I even posted on the thread! My memory is not what it used to be :eek:

Is it bad that I laughed at my own joke on that thread? :D

#33 ·
I have been using Gillette's Fusion since their introduction. Much smoother than the Mach 3. Yes, they're expensive as well but last at least three times longer than the Mach 3. And I have a large surface to groom....

Now I'm waiting for the next generation....Should work wonders on the undercarriage...
laugh.gif

gillette_fusion_thumb_4.jpg

#35 ·
Now I'm waiting for the next generation....Should work wonders on the undercarriage...
laugh.gif
A 24-year-old UK man landed in the emergency room after he says a charity waxing stunt nearly removed his testicle! Joe Cooper agreed to participate in a charity waxing event at a local pub to raise funds for a hospital children’s ward. His pals had hair removed from their chests, but Joe hoped to raise the most money by offering the hair on his balls.
57704888-brazilian-wax.jpg

#34 ·
5 blades!! A couple of years and you'll look like this.

alg_bodies_skinned_head.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.