• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Formula 1 (the Infamous F1 Thread)

17 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

exactly crap at f1 great at going round in an oval with the wheel set at 25 degrees with just the odd red neck to avoid like doing the m25 bet he read more crime novels than thee has. 

while doing it. 

and a proper bloody winger

senna_vs_mansell_1991_spanish_grand_prix

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhx7jCABjyuymm9fqDpFc

Wasn't he a back to back F1/Indy Car champion, can't be many achieved that. 

:whistle:

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to disagree (again! ) but I recon hes a great driver, hes very commited and has done wonders for the team and gets the most out of a mediocre car...I was lucky enough to spend some time with him

Which only goes to prove that the first 499 miles are a complete waste of time because they're not really racing until the closing stages.  Le Mans is on in a couple of weeks time.  Now that's a race

Kate and I went to LeMans a few years back, fantastic atmosphere and the week before the race is great, we camped actually outside the main entrance and every night there was a party and unofficial dr

Posted Images

Just now, BondandBigM said:

senna_vs_mansell_1991_spanish_grand_prix

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhx7jCABjyuymm9fqDpFc

Wasn't he a back to back F1/Indy Car champion, can't be many achieved that. 

:whistle:

:biggrin:

dont worry about that have you missed my comments on your new bird in the seamaster on the beach lidl watch thread?

Im off now night night. 

17 hours ago, Q.Lotte said:

The father-in-law's car, back in the day...

Image result for wolf racing f1

...and his custom Countach

Cheerio

QL

Impressive duo! And a pretty good Father in Law as well!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally I think F1 is dying. Periods where single teams dominate are not what the viewer wants, I've sat through periods where; Williams, McLaren, Red Bull, Ferrari and now Mercedes (Brawn) dominate. TBH I like most drivers as they put their lives on the line but given the choice of paying or watch on edited highlights, I've paid once this year and watched on highlights once. I hear the French grand prix was a bit of a chore from a spectator's perspective too. I really believe F1 is dying before our eyes (if you watch it that is).  Joke is I have been an avid fan for 30 years.

Edited by wrenny1969

I think the viewing figures across Sky and C4 highlights show it's bombing this year. TBH I can't even see myself watching the British GP as to offer only one race a year free to air isn't enough to whet the whistle. I think I'm out. Whilst I used to ride a bike I've never really been interested in watching them race.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Paul Ricard is a rubbish circuit for F1 racing and yesterday's tedious affair was one of the dullest I can remember.  Magny-Cours was so much better.  Luckily I had the presence of mind to record the excellent WTA Birmingham Final between Ash Barty and Julia Görges so the afternoon wasn't completely wasted :)

Austrian GP is next weekend.  Sadly, that's not one of my favourite tracks either. 

Watching a recording of this weekend's Indycar race "GP at Road America"

Good circuit, well matched cars so driver abilities to the fore. Lap 17 - Rosi made a better tyre choice and is 9 seconds ahead of second placed Power and the next 8 cars are separated by only 8 seconds. Not as spectacular as an oval but good racing so far.  

Unfortunately you sometimes get a dominant team, which when you are dealing with 1/10ths of second is always likely.  And sometimes you get a dominant driver.  And like now when you get an excellent driver in the best car then it is dull.  

I got a now tv pass for one month for £20.  This allowed me to watch the england games in the UEFA Nations league, the euro U21 cup, the cricket world cup and Canada, France and Austria GP's.  And the best sport I have watched is the Formula E, Womens world cup and yesterdays tennis.  I must cancel that Now TV subscription!

It is sad to watch my old team, Williams, tugging around at the back.

2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Unfortunately you sometimes get a dominant team, which when you are dealing with 1/10ths of second is always likely.  And sometimes you get a dominant driver.  And like now when you get an excellent driver in the best car then it is dull.  

I got a now tv pass for one month for £20.  This allowed me to watch the england games in the UEFA Nations league, the euro U21 cup, the cricket world cup and Canada, France and Austria GP's.  And the best sport I have watched is the Formula E, Womens world cup and yesterdays tennis.  I must cancel that Now TV subscription!

TV   not a friend of the retired guys - radio is good while working on a watch. vin

21 hours ago, scottswatches said:

I gave Formula E a watch, the combination of banal commentary and the constant weeeeeeeweeeeweeeeEEEeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeweeeeeEEeeeee of the motors drove me mad! :laughing2dw:

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection- apologies!!

I’m not an avid F1 fan, but something I read left me intrigued and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me. 

After the last GP in Silverstone, Pirelli came under fire for the tyre failures (they should actually factor this into every race to increase the excitement), but after they reviewed, they’re saying they still intend to send soft compound tyres, instead of mediums to Silverstone for the next GP. So... why do Pirelli get to choose what tyre compounds they use, and why can’t they supply all compounds, with each team only being allowed to use 2 of them for instance??

1 hour ago, DJJazzyJeff said:

Bit of a thread resurrection- apologies!!

I’m not an avid F1 fan, but something I read left me intrigued and I wonder if anyone can enlighten me. 

After the last GP in Silverstone, Pirelli came under fire for the tyre failures (they should actually factor this into every race to increase the excitement), but after they reviewed, they’re saying they still intend to send soft compound tyres, instead of mediums to Silverstone for the next GP. So... why do Pirelli get to choose what tyre compounds they use, and why can’t they supply all compounds, with each team only being allowed to use 2 of them for instance??

Pirelli have 5 tyre compounds at the start of the season. They usually select 3 compounds depending on the circuit, so harder tyres for more abrasive or hotter countries. 

This year is a little different with double header races, F1 and the teams voted to change the tyre compounds for the second race of a double header to make the second weekend more interesting...otherwise teams would just skip the practice sessions and save engine parts. 

Problem is they only discovered the issue after last weekend but it’s too late now, the tyres are manufactured and have been shipped to the circuit from Italy with no time to make new harder tyres, so they are stuck with what they have.

What Pirelli can, and always do though is mandate the maximum amount of laps their tyres will do safely and the minimum tyre pressure/ maximum camber angle so their tyres can operate safely.

i expect them to increase the tyre pressures and decrease the number of laps allowed next weekend, forcing 2/3 stop races 

• Thanks 1