• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Oldenbarnevelt

Looking For A Classic With A Limited Budget

Hey,

I'm looking for a new watch. The problem is I have expensive taste but I'm on a tight budget and I can't seem to find a watch that'll satisfy both my wallet and my taste. If you know of one, please help me out.

Budget: 300£

Taste:

I know these are all several thousands of pounds above my budget. It's just to gove you an idea of my taste. Wouldn't mind a good pre-owned one.

Two rules:

* No fakes

* No pseudo brands like Buchner and Bovalier. I think they have some nice watches but I'd rather have something established.

Can it be done?

Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Secondly - I'm sure it can be done, but it wont be easy! Try looking at offerings from: Atlantic, Epos, Gevril, Oris, Davosa, Limes, Archimede ..

Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Secondly - I'm sure it can be done, but it wont be easy! Try looking at offerings from: Atlantic, Epos, Gevril, Oris, Davosa, Limes, Archimede ..

Added to that look at our hosts collection RLT GUIDE where you can still buy some models from HERE

I'm looking to get an RLT 30 or 32 (Now showing out of stock :blink: ) for the same reason as you 'Champaign ideas but with a lemonade pocket!'

Welcome to RLT btw :rltb:

Edit: You could always looking in the sales forum here too :)

Edited by Stuart Davies

Welcome to the forum mate.

As for your taste, have had you had a look on fleabay as there are some Russian watches that i think would suit your budget and taste. Poljot are a good enough brand IMO so i wouldnt hesitate to buy one

There's always Rotary... This is a nice looking watch and I'm sure it's well within your budget of £300. you seem to like classic looking timepieces (a bit more on the dressy side) with a few complications on the dial... Here's a Rotary moonphase watch, compare it in asthetics with the Longines you pictured... Not bad I'd say!

RotaryMoonphase.jpg

My dad has a rotary limited edition Rotary skeleton watch... It looks great, though he has had issues with its time keeping, it should only lose or gain 6 seconds a day, but its usualy about 5 minutes fast at the end of the week! Though all of these Rotary watches DO come under a manufacturer's garuntee, so he's just to lazy to send it in for a service. :nono:

Good luck, I'm sure the people here can help with other ideas...

Thanks!

Vincero

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to look at this Sekonda; it's a very nice piece indeed, actually in rose gold, and at £50-80 depending where you shop, it's on my list!

(Google rose gold Sekonda chronograph)

sekondacopy.jpg

If you want to go used, you could get something like this within your budget...

latordial.jpg

Maybe even a Breitling Top Time? In steel they are rather expensive, a gold plated one would cost about £300 - £400 on ebay... Well it should do, in good condition, they're all manual winders but they're very classy looking pieces!

Thanks,

Vincero

Crap, just realised that wasn't a Rotary moonphase I posted a pic up of.... Opppss sorry, I ment to post this one up;

RotaryMoonphase2.jpg

Still, not a bad looking watch -

Sorry

Thanks!

Vincero

First things first. Quartz or mechanical, with external bezel as in diver or tach or no external bezel , simple or complicated?

A quartz would be cheaper but I think mechanicals offer a different perspective of appreciation for a watch, and its owner... I'm still amazed at how mechanical watches are even possible - the amount of craftsmanship and genius behind them is amazing, and it doesn't take a multi million dollar watch to get that feeling everytime you look at your wrist either.

As for manual winders vs automatic, well I guess it's personal preference, if this is a watch you plan on wearing only for special occassions a manual movement could save you some cash... If its a daily wearer a manual winder still isn't out of the question, there's a myth that you may forget to wind it in the morning... You wont ha ha, and if you ever did, it's no big deal setting it again! It's more anoying having to shake an automatic to keep it going after leaving it for a day or two, than winding a watch manualy once in the morning. :) Also, automatic watches don't like to be left around, they're abit like old cars - you have to use one alot to keep it going steady - I'm not sure how this analogy works with anual winders though!

having said that, the Rotary shown above is an automatic, and a good one I'm sure - if I remember rightly it also has the window at the back, so you can admire it working too!

All of the watches you posted above have "complications" like moonphase calendars and day date functions, and power reserve indicators etc etc, so I guess thats waht you're looking for. Be carefull with the moonphase calanders, because I hear you have to set them roughly every 22 days - unless of course you're buying a Patek Philippe, then it has to be set ike every 122 years! :). Aslong as you don't mind setting a watch every once in a while then you're set to go with a moonphase watch.

Thanks!

Vincero

I'd go for something classy yet simple. You should be able to get a lovely, boxed Omega Seamaster 600 from the '60s for that. My 'cosmetically perfect but could do with a service' Seamaster was a shade under £200, so £300 ought to be realistic for one that is tip-top. :)

135011.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

I've found some Maurice Lacroix models that I like so I might go with them. I've checked out ebay and I'll keep my eye on the sales forum.

Take care

I have a nice big very heavy 'Maurice Lacroix' automatic. Got it for very little money from one of the 'shopping chans' on the tv. Nice looking watch and must have a reasonable movement as keeps good time. Think it was 'bid up'. Do not see them on there very often but you could keep an eye on there web page also. Very pleased with my one. Only gave £60 for it.

Good luck.

Edited by swiss auto fan

First things first. Quartz or mechanical, with external bezel as in diver or tach or no external bezel , simple or complicated?

halo all, this is my first post in this fantastic forum, as i m hunting for a watch for myself as well, i wonder what the meaning of external bezel as in diver or tach or no external bezel.

thanks all