• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cheap Navitimers At Argos!!

MIKE

There is also a Blue dial version out of this watch that comes on a metal bracelet.

I posted this snippet myself, a couple of weeks ago (in post #50):

Has anybody else noticed that Argos also are listing a 'stainless' blue-faced version of their Rotary 'Chavitimer' ? :huh:

But made the classic newbie mistake (seemingly on here, anyway) of including a link to Argos's web page. :rolleyes:

Next time I looked at my post, both link and photo (remotely hosted from their website) had been removed. :mad:

Anyway, in case the photo on the previous page mysteriously disappears, it's their catalogue # 283/5266.

299-2835266SPA71UC547247X.jpg

Me ? Couldn't resist buying one - but it's a bit big for my 7½" wrist, if I'm honest. And it is 'rather weightier' :blush:

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But made the classic newbie mistake (seemingly on here, anyway) of including a link to Argos's web page. :rolleyes:

Next time I looked at my post, both link and photo (remotely hosted from their website) had been removed. :mad:

Me ? Couldn't resist buying one - but it's a bit big for my 7½" wrist, if I'm honest. And it is 'rather weightier' :blush:

I quite like it but its very light :eek:

Perhaps they are filled with helium instead of air :o !

Mine arrived this morning, wearing it right now :D

The 'aged' strap still seems a little OTT to me though :blink:

Even if I have to buy another strap for it, It'll still be well under the RSP ;)

Best regards,

Defender.

Have you still got it or passed it on?

Oh, I've still got it. Both of them, in fact. :blush:

Later on, I went back to Argos and bought the black faced / 'croc' leather strap version - the original subject of this thread. :)

No plans to get rid of either, at present. ;)

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Have you still got it or passed it on?

Oh, I've still got it. Both of them, in fact. :blush:

Later on, I went back to Argos and bought the black faced / 'croc' leather strap version - the original subject of this thread. :)

No plans to get rid of either, at present. ;)

You sound like someone I can relate too ;)

I may well end up getting the blue faced version as I'm rather partial to dark blue :huh: and get a dark blue strap to match, then swap the braclet over to the black one :D

Best regards,

Defender.

Opened this thread expecting to read the Argos had starting selling real Navitimers at knock-down prices, but instead I see a wanna-be, blatantly trading off Breitlings design/marketing .. not impressed.

Me thinks a smidge too much wabi there John :lol:

Not possible! The watch has had a life & still looks good, apart from the missing hand, which is the only thing I'd change.

Opened this thread expecting to read the Argos had starting selling real Navitimers at knock-down prices, but instead I see a wanna-be, blatantly trading off Breitlings design/marketing .. not impressed.

I keep nearly buying one of these :ph34r: ...and then I see my mate's real 1960's Navitimer and I come to my senses. :sweatdrop:

I couldn't get on with the artificially aged leather strap, so after I got home from work last night I replaced it with a 22mm grey NATO strap I had 'in stock'.

One thing I did discover removing the leather strap was that it's retained in the lugs by 2 spring bars each side, yes two!

Does the braclet version use two pins or just the one :o

I've seen or heard of that before, is this unique :huh:

Best regards,

Defender.

I couldn't get on with the artificially aged leather strap, so after I got home from work last night I replaced it with a 22mm grey NATO strap I had 'in stock'.

One thing I did discover removing the leather strap was that it's retained in the lugs by 2 spring bars each side, yes two!

I've seen or heard of that before, is this unique :huh:

Best regards,

Defender.

I mentioned this in post #36.

It is to secure the thick shaped end of the leather, as someone else got one that had one of the bars missing and it was loose. :nono:

rotary are still a swiss company as far as i know, some of their watches have japanese movements in them some have swiss movements. last time i took any real notice of their watches the jap ones had japanese movement in very small lettering under the 6:00 but the swiss ones had the swiss made there instead. i was bought a rotary 200m "divers" watch for my 21st, ive had it for 18 years now and it still works perfectly-always has done, keeps excellent time and i wore it every day from my 21st until about 3 years ago and believe me weve been through some really tough times and its never let me down. i cant rate them highly enough especially for the price and their customer service is superb too! after i had mine for about 3 years i needed some extra links putting in the gold plated bracelet, they put in 4 for free and cleaned the rest of the bracelet while they had it!

I keep nearly buying one of these :ph34r: ...and then I see my mate's real 1960's Navitimer and I come to my senses. :sweatdrop:

I bet you would if it was Electric :D

What about the exclusive to H Samuel, Aquaspeed range?

These are the codes you need to put in on their website...

Rotary Seamaster????

Rotary Breitling Thingybob????

And then there's the Rotary Daytona 6679080

Didn't wan't to post links as I'm sure they're not allowed.

I can't believe that a brand like Rotary is allowed to copy other makes so closely! Its like the "Chavitimer" has opened up the flood gates....

I presume that Breitling etc aren`t that bothered, I mean Rotary are (afaik) still a Swiss based company so I presume it wouldn`t be too difficult to start legal action against them if other companies felt it necessary & the same applies to Grovana.

The Swiss don't like much to rock the boat even if they copy watches from each other!

PS - They are ALL made in China anyway (in one form or another).

They look the part and I guess a nice quartz watch for £70 don't know how Swiss they are these days :ph34r:

Mike

Hi

This will be a Miyota Japanese movement i would imagine. Does anyone know if it has a stainless case or is it chrome plated as so many of Rotary's offerings are?

Rob

===========================================================================

The world goes round 'cos memory plays tricks.

Brietling were ALSO using Miyota movement for their £900 watches a few years ago.

Lets NOT foget that Breitling Geneva went out of business and was bought by Shneider - hence the "new" Breitling 1884 was created (not allowed to use Geneve any more).

Watches like this Rotary show to us the amazing mark up that is placed by some manufacturers. Prices on ETA automatic movements have gone up but lets not forget that from £35 - have gone up to £55 for a 2824.

As much as many manufacturers now give a name to their "own?" movements - we must all remember where they all (the basic components) come from. (In some cases, the movements - Revue-Thommen, for example - come from China - as Grovana has no machinery to produce them). Several manufacturers have now moved away from ETA (due to Swatch policies) but have increased the prices of their watches threefold.

One other thing to note is the the curved end leather band is secured by two spring bars not one (one next to the case and one on the end of the lug). I'm currenly looking at metal bands and will have to think hard about how these will fit? :huh:

One set of lug holes are close to the case (approx. 2mm) and the second set further out on the lugs at about 4mm.

I presume it is to help stabilise the chunky curved end of the leather band?

Ah, I think I see. If you use the holes furthest from the case there will be a large gap between the case and the strap/band end, and if you use the holes nearest the case the lug ends will appear to stick out too far. Hmm, let us know if you come up with a good solution - there must be some bands that work!

Tried one on today, but this i think must have only had 1 spring bar as the strap was turning at the lug, this put me off buying it as it didnt look too good with the curved strap ends sticking up.

Not sure about the strap but I'll see how I get on with it and maybe change it later?

I may well end up getting the blue faced version as I'm rather partial to dark blue :huh: and get a dark blue strap to match, then swap the braclet over to the black one :D

Sorry for the belated bump to this thread. :blush:

Whereas I have worn my Blue-Faced / Stainless Bracelet Chavitimer a few times now, the original Black-faced version still lies unworn in it’s box. Before anybody asks – no plans to move it on. Just that I really don’t like that Brown leather ‘croc’ strap it comes fitted with. I want to replace it with something else, which better matches the watch face. Ideally black leather with white stitching. Have been looking at various 22mm straps - mostly on eBay. Obviously, bearing in mind the low cost of the watch, one doesn’t want to spend ‘silly money’ on a strap for it. I came across this one on another site, which took my fancy:

_6274285_full.jpg

But surely, any of these alternatives I have been looking at are going to have the problem mentioned in the earlier posts, because of the double spring bar issue. Has anybody found another make of leather strap which fits, and ‘works’ properly ?

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

You sound like someone I can relate too ;)

Best regards,

Defender.

Hi, Defender.

I just spent 'a while' composing a PM to you, only to find when I tried to send it, I couldn't - because of the '50 Post Rule' ! :angry:

So I've copied and pasted it to a Word doc. for the time being.

Please could you email me: P4Skett at aol dot com - and I'll forward it on.

Thanks and Regards, Paul.

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Do they ship Internationally( to India)?

I have just seen their website, but couldnt find any info.

I found someone selling eight of them oneBay. Item number: 380109158077

He does not state he ships internationally, but might be worth contacting him.

Barney

Ideally black leather with white stitching. Have been looking at various 22mm straps - mostly on eBay.

Obviously, bearing in mind the low cost of the watch, one doesn’t want to spend 'silly money' on a strap for it.

Has anybody found another make of leather strap which fits, and 'works' properly ?

Check out my recent efforts at 'Pimping' my 'Chavitimer' in this thread in the Straps & Bands section:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40436 (Shock, Horror !! :eek: :lol: )

Edited by SEIKO7A38Fan

Ideally black leather with white stitching. Have been looking at various 22mm straps - mostly on eBay.

Obviously, bearing in mind the low cost of the watch, one doesn’t want to spend 'silly money' on a strap for it.

Has anybody found another make of leather strap which fits, and 'works' properly ?

Check out my recent efforts at 'Pimping' my 'Chavitimer' in this thread in the Straps & Bands section:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40436 (Shock, Horror !! :eek: :lol: )

A quick update, just got the black ion plated 'Aquaspeed' version, but this one's not for me, but my brother, he loves black :D.

Looks really good :P

Best regards,

Defender.