• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Alpha's

seikology

thinking of buying an alpha planet ocean basically because i want a planet ocean but dont have a grand and a half to spare right now. are they any good? i reckon i can get on off the bay for 50 quid incl taxes if im lucky. will it be money well spent or another case of buy cheap and waste your money?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who actually owns a few Alphas including two `PO` models (rather then having just seen photos of or are idiologically prejudiced them) I`ve found them to be good value for money &, although QC can sometimes be a problem, the usual Ebay seller is willing to sort things out, also the movements are generally available in this country for very little money :wink2:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

IMO......yes. I had a total of 3, but sold 2 of them since it wasn´t my type of watch. Still have the Pepsi sub and the explorer (explorer is suppose to be sold in a couple of days) but they have been nothing but great so far.

But there´s not a long step from Seikos price range and compared to them Alphas have no chance. But for the price you do get a lot of watch.

But there´s not a long step from Seikos price range and compared to them Alphas have no chance. But for the price you do get a lot of watch.

I`d agree with that* :thumbsup:

*if you like the look of Seikos & there are some who aren`t so keen :whistle:

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Personally imho if you pay more than a tenner for one you are wasting your money and if you have a look at this thread from the other day so will see that they only bear a passing resemblance to a PO. I'll get shot down for the following comment but if you want PO looks for less than Alpha money just get someone to bring you back a fake from their holidays, it will probably have the same internals, last as long and look better.

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=34366

As someone who actually owns a few Alphas including two `PO` models (rather then having just seen photos of or are idiologically prejudiced them)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been to China and worked in HK and apart from the big wall they have, which is nice and not a fake, I did have a look at a few watches ...... on just about every street corner.

I'd venture to say I seen more watches than most over the years on my travels

:P

B.

I have 3 of them and ok it may be luck but I have no problem with them at all, my last one was a "paul newman" chrono and I was impressed with it and again a lot of watch for the money, I buy direct from their site (just google Alpha watches) as I have found them quick and reliable, ok my 2 pence worth.

Cheers, John

As I mentioned I have few Alphas (presently six although I had seven), there time keeping has been good & only one developed a problem which was fixed by my local watch repairer. To put things in perspective I`ve had a few ETA powered watches & even a Breitling that have gone wrong :(

To me watches are just a bit of fun so if you like the style but don`t want/or can`t afford to pay the price for a genuine PO an Alpha will do nicely for very little money otherwise if you accuracy & reliablity is a big issue why not buy a £10 quartz from Argos then you won`t have to worry :wink2:

I've had two Alpha's a 'Seamaster' and a 'Speedy' for a couple of years now. The bracelets on both mine are good and probably worth alone what I paid for the watches. Both still keep reasonable time despite being generaly abused.

Many of the obejections to Alphas relate to the whole homage\replica\fake syndrome rather than the quality of the watches themselves, so like so much in life 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'. I don't regret buying my Alpha's as they were my first watch purchases and sparked my interest in collecting watches. However having now gained a little more knowledge I would pobably not buy another but instead pay a small amount extra and get a new 'Orient'. If you keep your eye on the Sales forum you may even find a good used one for less than your budget.

Rich

If Alphas didnt look like the watches they have been copied from and were just another Chinese watch then, people wouldn't put up with their lottery of QC and would be more vocal about the dubious quality.......

Save your money and get something original..... ;)

I've never handled one & have no intention of - however some people like 'em, some don't, I'm in the latter. But saying that I'm sure they'd make excellent hockey pucks ..

If Alphas didnt look like the watches they have been copied from and were just another Chinese watch then, people wouldn't put up with their lottery of QC and would be more vocal about the dubious quality.......

Save your money and get something original..... ;)

Well said!

:whistle: didn't someone once suggest we should ban "alpha" threads?

tbh it's the age old answer, ask 6 economists for advice about the economy and you'll get 6 different answers. We are no different.

I've never even seen one so am little use for advice apart from if you can afford to lose the money if it does turn out to be a lemon then go for it. If you can't then buy something closer to home with a warranty and an easy exchange process just in case of problems.

You won't be satisfied until you get the real deal so just bite the bullet and wait.