• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sunday Oldie

mach 0.0013137

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great watches on display today :)

Why do people always say that? :huh:

They are all great, well with the obvious exception of that ugly (though undoubtedly superbly made) thing Rich is wearing :lol:

What an absolutely fabulous watch - and, as you say, endorsed by a real 30s dude not a make-believe one (however cool he may be). I love that crown and the push-button timer (if that's what it is). The dial is great. The hands are even greaterer! Surely this must have been what Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence was wearing when he fell of

Thanks Kevin, it is rather nice & it would be great to find Lawrence had worn one at sometime :P

As to the pin, see `2. To Set The Hands (a)` below :wink2:

gallery_601_19_438350.jpg

It's probably bad form to post another reply so quickly (shows a little too much energy on a wet Sunday morning) but I need to tell mach 0.0013137 (or 0.447038973 m/s as his friends call him) that if he ever even thinks about selling that watch I've been given unlimited funds by my very lovely wife.

She has no interest in watches (compared to most of us, anyway) but even she can see that this is a beauty. And then some :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

They do turn up with supprising regularity on Ebay & Steve Burrage at Ryte Time is familiar with them if repairs/servicing are needed :wink2:

I`ve been wearing these so far today though obviously not all at the same time :lol:

"Services" Despatch Rider (Luminous Dial) plus 12 & 24 hour dial Competitors, pin-pallet movement circa 1920/30s

gallery_601_19_287872.jpg

Some may remember that I recently won the 24 hour dial Competitor off ebay, it was described as only working for a short periods.

When it arrived I found the second hand was bent up & sideways having caught on both the hour & minute ones also the hour was bent sideways for the same reason, I very carefully adjusted both & it started runing well.

It does need a service so will be off to Steve for some TLC asap, the winding stem is too long but I`m not that bothered & anyway I`m sure I`ll be able to get the right type some time.

(or 0.447038973 m/s as his friends call him)
:lol: Edited by mach 0.0013137

They are all great, well with the obvious exception of that ugly (though undoubtedly superbly made) thing Rich is wearing :lol:

Mach, not sure if you meant mine or Toshi's? My apologies if it was mine, I'm renowned for my lack of taste :lol:

Rich

Nowt wrong with the Edele Rich, its Toshi`s abomination I object to :lol:

This Aqua Lung again today. Thought there was water dripping the other night in the bedroom. Put the light on, couldn't find anything then when I got back into bed realised it was this watch sitting on the bedside table. Thats it banished to another room at night :nono:

Alasdair

aqua1.jpg

its Toshi`s abomination I object to :lol:

Strangely Mac, I find i'm the opposite. I've become more and more drawn to the Ploprof every time a new picture is posted and every day it has grown more and more out of my price range. :(

Probably for the best. I couldn't handle the abuse if I owned one :lol:

its Toshi`s abomination I object to :lol:

Strangely Mac, I find i'm the opposite. I've become more and more drawn to the Ploprof every time a new picture is posted and every day it has grown more and more out of my price range. :(

Probably for the best. I couldn't handle the abuse if I owned one :lol:

Oh, you get used to the abuse on this forum, Rob :lol:

and as for you, Mach....

another picture just for you :tongue2:

ploprof_3.jpg

(I'm convinced Mach really wants one of these. Why else would he make negative comments every time a picture of one appears on the forum? The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks. :) )

Some great watches on display today :)

They do turn up with supprising regularity on Ebay & Steve Burrage at Ryte Time is familiar with them if repairs/servicing are needed :wink2:

Thanks for the tip. I'll be off to you-know-where in a moment, as long as everybody promises not to bid against me ;) Having bought an RLT29 off the forum, I'm now seriously low on funds (having less than £0 must count as 'low', I'm sure) and will need to bag something in single figures!

That Competitor is a bit of a doozie too, if you ask me. I'm a sucker for the older swirly fonts. And as for the push-button time setting on the Despatch Rider, what a good idea - it drives me slightly nuts when you're repeatedly pushing/pulling the crown in and out, in the hope of one day finding the magical point at which the hands begin to move. OK. there are worse things in life, but a funky little button would make things much easier.

Here's David Lean, director of 'Lawrence of Arabia', showing us his own Services Despatch Rider...

sftajournal_davidlean_1701.jpg

Keep the 'Sundays' coming... some great watches on show (did someone say that already?)

This 1930s Audemars today.

audemars7.jpg

I love the hands on this... actually I love everything about it. What size is it?

I'll be wearing my old speedy today while I say goodbye to a couple of others. I hate letting them go. :cry2:

SpeedmasterDial2800x600.jpg

It's not a big watch only 30mm, with the crown 32mm. Lug to lug 38mm. it's a watch I've had for over 10years, but I cant find any information about it. The difficulty is in the name 'Audemars', because every time I do a search I get hundreds of hits on Audemars Piguet! Thanks for the interest, here are a couple of pics of the back and the inside.

audemars5.jpg

audemars4.jpg

As you can see its 9ct rose gold with fixed bars, I've recently changes the strap and prefer the black

All the best

As you can see its 9ct rose gold with fixed bars, I've recently changes the strap and prefer the black

All the best

I think your right. Black strap suits the gold of the case more.

There are a lot of vintage watches that I think look stunning but I don't know if I could get on with the size of a 30mm watch. A shame really because they look beautiful, I love that classic clean look yours has.

Potz... The LV had the same effect on me. I wasn't big on the idea of a green bezel but of late I've found myself thinking "actually, that's quite nice". Perhaps some watches are just an acquired taste.

Perhaps Mac does really like the Ploprof after all. This Ploprof bashing could be the equivalent of pulling the girls pigtails and running away when you fancy them... something I still do :D

Edited by mjolnir