UK Watch Forum banner

Today - A Grail Arrived - -

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  foztex 
#1 ·
This morning Peter the Postie knocked the door with a thick Jiffy bag - one I've been anticipating, and yes! :yes: a small insignificant grail was inside - a Timex - the very same model as the one I bought myself when I first started earning. :tongue2:

Timex 1955/60's

grail.JPG

OK, it's a bit battered and the plating is very definitely worn, but IT IS that watch I've been looking for - nothing spectacular, just one I've wanted to have since joining the forum.

grail2.JPG

Hey, it's even got the original bracelet still - but again that's a bit worn and battered as well - then after all these years, so am I :lol:

grail3.JPG

A quick and dirty slosh clean, and a quick lube, and the "fully wound" watch started up of it's own accord - it's just bl**dy amazing how hardy the Timex movement can be - seller claimed working for a few seconds. Well, that was this morning and here we are at 4.30 -ish p.m. and one minute fast. I can live with that on a pin pallet Ticka Timex that's 50 years old at least!

More below

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's some more of the wee Timex, takes a lickin' keeps on tickin'

grail4.JPG

The bracelet and case spent a bit of time in the ultrasonic to get rid of the dead DNA, and it's a bit better looking, stuck it all together again and I can wear it - although one extra link would make it perfect :D

grail5.JPG

The only "faults" I can find (apart from the age looks and wear :lol:) is a possible mark on the crystal at 12, and the winder (stem and crown) is very stiff, maybe a better lube and some TLC might help there - next task before old watch Sunday maybe? :lol:

grail6.JPG

QUESTION?

If anyone has one of these bracelets or even a single link of one, please let me know, I'd be delighted to clear it/them from your junk box - ideally (not likely, I know) anyone with a donor watch in good cosmetic condition - I'd :wub: you forever!

Am I HAPPY You betcha! :toot:

Edit:- Should add, re-cycled photos as well as a bit of enhancement!

#4 ·
What a fine catch Mel... well done, it's always nice to get a grail :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Congratulations Mel. To finally get a watch you've been looking for for so long must be a great feeling :thumbup:

and there's nothing written that says a grail needs to be expensive :wink2:

#11 ·
Congratulations. I agree with all been said so far. Enjoy. :beer:

#14 ·
Good stuff Mel. It's always nice to find something you've been after for a while and If it's your grail then its certainly something to get excited about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.