• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Today - A Grail Arrived - -

This morning Peter the Postie knocked the door with a thick Jiffy bag - one I've been anticipating, and yes! :yes: a small insignificant grail was inside - a Timex - the very same model as the one I bought myself when I first started earning. :tongue2:

Timex 1955/60's

grail.JPG

OK, it's a bit battered and the plating is very definitely worn, but IT IS that watch I've been looking for - nothing spectacular, just one I've wanted to have since joining the forum.

grail2.JPG

Hey, it's even got the original bracelet still - but again that's a bit worn and battered as well - then after all these years, so am I :lol:

grail3.JPG

A quick and dirty slosh clean, and a quick lube, and the "fully wound" watch started up of it's own accord - it's just bl**dy amazing how hardy the Timex movement can be - seller claimed working for a few seconds. Well, that was this morning and here we are at 4.30 -ish p.m. and one minute fast. I can live with that on a pin pallet Ticka Timex that's 50 years old at least!

More below

Here's some more of the wee Timex, takes a lickin' keeps on tickin'

grail4.JPG

The bracelet and case spent a bit of time in the ultrasonic to get rid of the dead DNA, and it's a bit better looking, stuck it all together again and I can wear it - although one extra link would make it perfect :D

grail5.JPG

The only "faults" I can find (apart from the age looks and wear :lol:) is a possible mark on the crystal at 12, and the winder (stem and crown) is very stiff, maybe a better lube and some TLC might help there - next task before old watch Sunday maybe? :lol:

grail6.JPG

QUESTION?

If anyone has one of these bracelets or even a single link of one, please let me know, I'd be delighted to clear it/them from your junk box - ideally (not likely, I know) anyone with a donor watch in good cosmetic condition - I'd :wub: you forever!

Am I HAPPY You betcha! :toot:

Edit:- Should add, re-cycled photos as well as a bit of enhancement!

Edited by mel

This morning Peter the Postie knocked the door with a thick Jiffy bag - one I've been anticipating, and yes! :yes: a small insignificant grail was inside - a Timex - the very same model as the one I bought myself when I first started earning. :tongue2:

Timex 1955/60's

grail.JPG

OK, it's a bit battered and the plating is very definitely worn, but IT IS that watch I've been looking for - nothing spectacular, just one I've wanted to have since joining the forum.

grail2.JPG

Hey, it's even got the original bracelet still - but again that's a bit worn and battered as well - then after all these years, so am I :lol:

grail3.JPG

A quick and dirty slosh clean, and a quick lube, and the "fully wound" watch started up of it's own accord - it's just bl**dy amazing how hardy the Timex movement can be - seller claimed working for a few seconds. Well, that was this morning and here we are at 4.30 -ish p.m. and one minute fast. I can live with that on a pin pallet Ticka Timex that's 50 years old at least!

More below

Very nice :)

Well done Mel,

Nice watch too, I like the big crown compared to the rest of it. I know exactly what you mean on the first watch thing. I spent a lot of time tracking down a boys military Timex (my first watch) once I'd got into this lark. My lad wears it and it makes me smile every time.

cheers

Andy