• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Birthday Watch 1965 Omega

pcn1

Hi Chaps,

Been a while since i last posted I know. Thing is Ive been thinking about a classic Omega Seamaster from 1965 if possible to go with my SMP of 2005 I bought from Mr RLT.

Thing is I dont know anything about buying old watches, whats was made back then, who to trust to buy from etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Am I right in thinking they are all about 36/7mm dia in those days? Id like a white face if possible as well.

Thanks

Omegas are dated by their movement numbers so to be certain that at least the movement was manufactured in 1965 the number should be between 22 000 000 and 23 000 000. The only trouble being that movements are swapped to brings old watches back to life and for financial gain. So for instance a high value SMP300 worth say £2,000 might have a movement from a low value Geneve worth £200. The calibre 565 movement is identical in both.

Arm yourself with as much information as you can digest and if you see something you're interested in take / get some pictures and post them here. There's plenty of Omega fans that will gladly help you out and point out any possible issues. Personally I'd avoid the iconic models simply because their value means there's an awful lot of fakes and frankenwatches out there. Unless you really know what you're doing or unless you completely trust the seller leave well alone. I'd also avoid the an ebay purchase for the same reason plus you'll probably find something from a trusted seller on the forums for less money.

As Rich said old-omegas is an excellent way to acquaint yourself with watches from your birth year. If you see anything that really catches your eye, tell us and we'll give you a rough idea of what to pay and any issues to look out for.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers,

Gary