• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Silver Hawk

Another Accuquartz

Needed to get one for some time....bit of a gap on my website :( . It's not quite mine yet because I've yet to hand over the agreed money ( :ph34r: ), but you know what they say, possession is 9/10ths of the law :blink: :lol: .

A Bulova Accuquartz from 1974 (N4)...this is the "proper" Accuquartz with a quartz controlled tuning fork; Bulova also used this name on their slightly later quartz watches with stepping motors rather than tuning forks.

It has a Cal. 2242. Regulation on these movements is a little weird; they still have the regulators on the tuning fork cups like the older transistor controlled 214 and 218 Accutrons, but altering them really makes no difference to the tuning fork frequency or the watch regulation. Instead, you start adding or moving tiny screws to the six holes on the left hand side of the movement --- this either engages an internal capacitor (screw present) or disengages one (screw out) which in turn affects timing. All screws out is fast:

Screw 1 = -0.1 sec/day

Screw 2 = -0.2

Screw 3 = -0.6

Screw 4 = -1.2

Screw 5 = -2.1

Screw 6 = -3.4

All screws in would be about -5 sec/day. Later on, they introduced the variable trim capacitor....much easier to regulate!

Bulova%20Accuquartz%20Cal%202242%20SStee

Needed to get one for some time....bit of a gap on my website :( . It's not quite mine yet because I've yet to hand over the agreed money ( :ph34r: ), but you know what they say, possession is 9/10ths of the law :blink: :lol: .

A Bulova Accuquartz from 1974 (N4)...this is the "proper" Accuquartz with a quartz controlled tuning fork; Bulova also used this name on their slightly later quartz watches with stepping motors rather than tuning forks.

It has a Cal. 2242. Regulation on these movements is a little weird; they still have the regulators on the tuning fork cups like the older transistor controlled 214 and 218 Accutrons, but altering them really makes no difference to the tuning fork frequency or the watch regulation. Instead, you start adding or moving tiny screws to the six holes on the left hand side of the movement --- this either engages an internal capacitor (screw present) or disengages one (screw out) which in turn affects timing. All screws out is fast:

Screw 1 = -0.1 sec/day

Screw 2 = -0.2

Screw 3 = -0.6

Screw 4 = -1.2

Screw 5 = -2.1

Screw 6 = -3.4

All screws in would be about -5 sec/day. Later on, they introduced the variable trim capacitor....much easier to regulate!

cracking photos and explanation-but know where you live

Well done Paul,

and excellent info. I always wondered what the wee screws were for. I do like that case, its very similar to my first ever accutron, the franken I made up from a NOS case.

fraccnc.jpg

cheers

Andy

Didn't know thats what they were either. Mine has the 5 screws, from top down, in.

Thanks for that, Paul.

side note: did you get the Diamond 60 running?

Cheers

Very nice Paul, enjoy it, as I'm sure you will :lol:

cracking photos and explanation-but know where you live

But, Bridgeman, he'll be at home, they had - ooooh! - maybe half an inch of snow in the South Seas area and the whole place ground to a halt ! :yes:

How these Southern Softies would cope with the five inches that's still lying here, I dread to think :ph34r:

I mentoned in another thread I had an Accuquartz coming in a job lot of 4 'spares/repairs'.

Well it arrived and it's got the same movement as the one in this thread - if only it was in the same condition and erm.... working :cry2:

Still at least if it does spring into life i'll know how to regulate it (with 3 of the little screws to play with) :)

BULO.jpg

Screw 1 = -0.1 sec/day

Screw 2 = -0.2

Screw 3 = -0.6

Screw 4 = -1.2

Screw 5 = -2.1

Screw 6 = -3.4

Excellent information thanks, haven't seen it anywhere else on the web. Was it part of a service manual for the 2242?

I recently acquired an Anniversary Accuquartz (picture below) with screws 4 and 5 in and since it was running about -1.2spd I removed screw #4. Now it's running about -0.6spd, about 50% less change than what I was expecting. Actually I'm not sure I'm reading your table right though since you wrote that all screws in amounts to -5spd, while adding all the "screws" would amount to -7.6spd ?

1.jpg

Edited by webvan

After three weeks of testing and two screws to play with I've obtained :

1. screws 4 and 5 : -1.2spd

2. screw 5 : -0.5spd

3. screw 4 : 1.1spd

Which let me find that :

1. rate with no screws : 1.8spd

2. impact of 4 : -0.7spd

3. impact of 5 : -2.3spd

Not sure why I'm not getting the numbers in the table above, still wondering where they came from and how you got to -5 by adding them all up, must be missing something.

I'll be keeping screw 4 and adding one in screw 3 to slow it down.

Has anyone else been playing around with the "miniscrew" settings on their Accuquartz ?

Not sure what happened with my picture above, here is that (rare ?) Anniversary Accuquartz :

2010402__195837s_resize.JPG

Edited by webvan

ok...as long as they are topics of interest it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Since you're back on this topic may I repeat the question that stayed unanswered last year : "Excellent information thanks, haven't seen it anywhere else on the web. Was it part of a service manual for the 2242?

I recently acquired an Anniversary Accuquartz (picture below) with screws 4 and 5 in and since it was running about -1.2spd I removed screw #4. Now it's running about -0.6spd, about 50% less change than what I was expecting. Actually I'm not sure I'm reading your table right though since you wrote that all screws in amounts to -5spd, while adding all the "screws" would amount to -7.6spd ?"

I need to get some new Renata 344 batteries and will resume my testing of the impact of the screws adjustment.

Has anyone else been playing around with the "miniscrew" settings on their Accuquartz ?

Not sure what happened with my picture above, here is that (rare ?) Anniversary Accuquartz :

2010402__195837s_resize.JPG

That's interesting. I have an Accutron with a very very similar dial

Nice, that's another rare beast because the theory was that the anniversary tuning fork shaped case had only been used for spaceview models (SS and GP) and now we have an Accuquartz and an Accurtron (presumably with the 218?) does it have any markings in the back?

Just "Bulova, Water Resistant" etc. And the number 5-99235.

The case is a bit different from the Anniversary, it's perfectly symmetrical and the chapter ring doesn't slope. The photo below shows it a bit more clearly. It is a 218 movement manufactured in 1976.

accutronsquare2.jpg

Ah yes, not quite the same, I think there might be a late spaceview with that case. Based on the serial number it seems to be a "Swiss" Accutron...fascinating watches ;-)

Wow, that's something else, "groovy"! Any year markings in the back? It's got the typical "diamond" on the left side. I had one like that once but it ran like crazy and my Accutron guy wasn't able to fix it to he kept it in exchange of a discount on my bill ;-) Need to hunt one down again.