• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
bea13abc

Gold Watches

Hello All,

I am interested in buying a "solid gold" watch.

So far I have never been interested but for some reason I feel it may be a good investment? I have one other watch in my box which was my Dad's and it is gold plated. It is a great watch by Alfex? however the gold plating is rubbing off. I don't think it was that expensive but I like it.

Anyway, seen this on the bay : 150324383495. Any good?

I can reach till about 450 max but would love to get a bargin if I can.

Lastly I am not into brands or big time watch companies just something which is good quality and real :) (I know this is a tall order).

Thanks All,

Raj

That's a great choice...vintage and gold just seem to go together.

But why only 9K? .... if you have to have gold, and I'm no fan of the stuff, then 14K might be a better choice and should hold its value IMO.

You certainly have a huge choice out there....have you looked at the American makes like Hamilton, Elgin etc?

Also check out vintage Zenith:s and Tissot:s they have some very nice and elegant looking all gold cases. Beatifull subdued elegance, just the way vintage elegance should be. Right at home with club jacket, cigar and a glass of single malt.

9ct so that more people could afford a proper gold watch. I have a 9ct Smiths, also in a Dennison case, from 1946. Immediately after the war people didn't have much money, so presumably even a 30mm 9ct case was expensive by the standards of the time.

I've got a thing about 9ct jewellery Chris....always reminds me of the rubbish they sell on BidUp TV and all the other shopping channels :nono:

Edited by Silver Hawk

Due to the state of the economy Gold is at near record levels, If you're looking for an investment you should not buy at the "top of the market". I'd wait a year or two, let the economy sort itself out, gold prices should subsequently drop.

A lovely watch, but massively overpriced!

Agreed - I've seen 9k Vintage Omegas go recently for 350 retail (from a bricks and mortar shop) and closer to 250 on ebay. Have a look at some completed listings to get an idea of price.

9ct gold is, I think, 37.5% gold.

As such it's the best compromise for daily wear, being hard enough to stand up to knocks.

18ct and better are very soft!

If I were you and wanted a solid gold watch I would buy a vintage 18k chronograph. The attached photo is a typical example:

MVC-008S.jpg

I paid $500 for it, and another $150 or so for overhaul and dent removal (18k gold is soft - if you are hard on the watches, 14k gold will take a few more bumps and bruises). So for $650 I've got a great looking, great performing 18k solid gold watch.

I have done this three times with these 18k 1940's solid gold chronographs. You should be able to as well.

Remember that 14ct was mainly for the US market, 9ct and 18ct was the choice in Europe. You may be best scouring ebay.com rather than the European counterparts. Remember to factor in duty though.

Edited by Filterlab

9ct gold is, I think, 37.5% gold.

As such it's the best compromise for daily wear, being hard enough to stand up to knocks.

18ct and better are very soft!

What he said.

Many Thanks for your responses.

Think I will wait as the price of Gold should come down sometime soon. Also will consider 18ct over 9ct

Many Thanks,

Raj