• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Film Critics

Andy

I'm one of those people who are easily swayed by reviews, but never again.

Last night I watched what I thought was a fantastic film called WATERWORLD starring Kevin Costner. I wish now I'd gone to see it on the big screen but alas I was influenced by the negative response this film recieved from the critics. It was a huge flop apparently :blink:

I thought it was excellent.

Another film I watched called SIGNS, with Mel Gibson I thought was a boring load of tosh, unyet this recieved excellent reviews.

Maybe it's just me and I have unusual tastes I don't know, but after last night I will be more inclined to make my own mind up rather than be influenced by someone elses views.

I agree with you totally on that one, went to see 'signs' at cinema and was very disappointed, but I think all the mad max, waterworld, and even conan films are great.

Just before the forum went down a couple of nights ago, I posted about the film L'Appartement. Its a fantastic film, which I hadn't even heard of till I saw it. Very recommended,

Cheers,

mat

Edit - Woohoo I'm an advanced member! Do I get a special gift or a 10% discount ;) .... just kidding

Yes now that you mention it Waterworld was very Mad Max like.

My only criticism of the film was that I thought Costner was supposed to be some sort of fish man with gills but they didn't take that anywhere, or did I miss something.

By the way my definition of a good film is one that you are stiill thinking about the next day.

Then I'm guessing you haven't seen Irreversible... I still havent managed to get over that film. It was a very good film, but I'm reluctant to say so because it was so disturbing and I really wouldnt want to watch it again. Its hard to explain really,

Cheers, mat

Another Costner film in the same vein is The Postman (not il Postino). This is kind of like waterworld on dry land. I liked it better than Waterworld. The book by David Brin is a great read. If the movie had stuck to it a little closer it would have been better.

Hi there

Surely liking a film is a pretty personnal thing, just because a critic thinks it's good or bad doesn't mean that you are going to think the same.

I think Waterworld is an excellent film (but I didn't like the Postman at all), the gill theme wasn't really exploited I agree, but having said that he presumably used his gills when he went "fishing" and when he took the heroine to the sunken city. The film went massively over budget and wasn't really different/good enough (it is very Mad Maxish) to justify the extra money spent on it, I think this had a lot to do with the poor reviews it received.

Another film I like (well perhaps like is the wrong phrase to use given the subject of the film) and which got terrible reviews is "8mm", an excellent film starring Nicholas Cage as a detective investigating a possible snuff film. Worth seeing but not a happy film at all.

Cheers

Paul :)

Hi Garry

Agree that the Abyss is an excellent film, the extended edition is well worth watching as it explains more about the aliens than the cinema release. Quality film, I just love the "russian water tentacle"!

Another recent film I enjoyed is Deep Blue Sea. An absolute no brainer but great fun with it.

Cheers

p.s. There appears to be a theme to this thread .... Waterworld, The Abyss, Deep Blue Sea .... hmm, must be all those Seiko divers!

Paul,

I have deep blue sea on dvd - good film, but I could not watch it over and over.

Three of my favourite films for out and out action are, Predator 2, Aliens ( Second film in the series ) and Alien resurrection ( Last one ). Another I can happily watch over and over is The Fifth Element. It's nothing to do with the fact these are all sci-fi, I just find them very entertaining.

G.

Hi Garry

I like trashy films like Deep Blue Sea. Friends point out that a huge shark couldn't swim down a small corridor that a man can barely wade down. I point out that if they have to point out things like that out then they're missing the point of the film which is to entertain.

I would agree about the 2 Alien films (as the whole series is superb) but I'm not sure about the other two. I seem to remember the first Predator film being much better than the second, much like the first Terminator film was altogether better than the overblown sequel ( still a good film, just not as good as the 1st). A couple of action films I'd like on dvd, but haven't got yet, are Con Air and The Rock. Both excellent and completely over the top. The other OTT film that leaps to mind is Face Off, but I really didn't like it both times I've seen it, maybe it's just too OTT? The Bourne Identity is another good action film that's well worth watching, and another one I'd like on dvd! I could go on but it's dead late and I'm cream crackered!

Cheers

I quite liked Face Off, actually, thinking of Travolta, what was that other film he done?, something " Arrow ", that was good. Con Air was a good film. Terminator 1, excellent. I think the majority of the time the first film is always the best, very, very occasionally the sequal is better.

Anyway, as you I'm cream krackered and have an early start tomorrow. Think of some more good films and I'll see you later.

G.

Hi Sargon

I saw the David Lynch version of Dune at the cinema when it came out and couldn't make sense of it, I hadn't, and still haven't, read the book(s) so maybe that would have helped me out. I liked the look of it though, this is the one with Sting in it isn't it? I agree with you about Fight Club which is great but weird, the ending is rather reminiscent of sept 11 isn't it? I thought that the ending of True Lies was similar too, the bit with the harrier outside the the skyscraper ..... good film though.

Hi Garry

Sorry but I really didn't like Face Off, but I agree with your comments about sequels. I thought Blade was excellent but Blade 2 was just awful in the extreme! What happened to the girl from the first film? Another series of films which started off well but rapidly went down the tubes was Batman, the 1st two were decent efforts but happened to the last 2 films (though Jim Carey was excellent as the Riddler in the 3rd one)? I'm hoping the latest X-Men film will be as good as the first one. The Travolta film you mentioned (Broken Arrow) is on channel 5 next week I think.

I occasionally buy dvd's of films that I wanted to see at the piccies but missed for whatever reason. One I bought when I first got a dvd player is Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai. All about a hitman who lives according to the Samurai code in modern America. Not a huge action fest but kind of quirky and unusual. Well worth seeing if you fancy something a bit different, has its funny moments too.

I watched Se7en last night, good grief it's a great film but it's just sooooooooo depressing!!!

Cheers

Ghost Dog is awesome! There's something about Forrest Whitacre (sp?) that makes his very watchable. The scene with him practicing with a samurai sword on the roof is amazing. He can really move. I do tend to like somewhat quirky films. Boogie nights was very funny. For action I think John Carpenters The Thing can't be beat. ANother movie few liked but I did was Starship Troopers.

Sargon,

If you liked Starship Troopers, then read the book by Robert Heinlein... it's better than the film, then read"the Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, which is like "Starship Troopers" insofar as the hardwear is the same, but applies the laws of physics to space travel, i.e when they go off to fight lightyears away in another Galaxy for a few weeks, centuries have passed on Earth by the time they get back! Damn good read :D

I don't often go and watch films at the cinema but if I do, I'm sorry but I want big, mega budget, exciting, in yer face action, otherwise whats the point.

I mean films that do not fall into this category can be enjoyed equally as much in the comfort of your own home. Actually I prefer this anyway. When I watch a film I need to bee 100% focused and un distracted. Guaranteed if I go to the Cinema I'll end up sitting next to the prick who insists on giving a running commentary to his girlfriend, or the pig who chomps noisily on his popcorn. These things ruin a good film for me. After I saw the Matrix at the flicks I had to watch it again on video because it was spoiled by this ars****e who laughed nearly all the way through it. :angry:

I'm actually thinking of investing in a home entertainment centre.

My friend bought one while he was recovering after an accident and it's awsome. Just as good as the Cinema but without the distractions.

Matrix and Star Ship Troopers, got both on video - very entertaining. I agree about Blade, second was not as good as the first.

I actually prefer to wait until I can buy / hire the film on dvd and watch it at home in comfort. Bought a 32" widescreen flatscreen 100hz recently - best thing I ever done.

G.

Haven't got a widescreen tv but I still like watching films at home. I think the cinema takes some beating though, I don't think Lord Of The Rings would have had the impact that it did if it had been releaased only on dvd/video. A truly classic filum though.

Ghost Dog is indeed superb, the bit I like is when he's waiting to shoot someone but ends up bird watching instead! Excellent stuff. Forest Whittaker is apparently something of an expert in the martial arts, he's an underrated actor. He was in Panic Room and excellent in that too. Wasn't he in The Crying Game??

Starship Troopers is an all time brilliant film ............... MEDIC!!

Cheers

I'm afraid growing up on a steady diet of Heinlein - Starship Troopers in particular probably influanced my decision to join the Marines. That and my mother wouldn't let me have toy guns as a kid. I had read Lord of the Rings maybe 10 times as a kid so I was excited when the film came out. I liked the movie, but like everyone else didn't like how it differed from the book. But you can't have everything.

I was a kid when STAR WARS first came out.

I saw it 10 times at the Cinema by waiting outside till the interval when people came out to by there sweets etc. and then sneaking in because they didn't check tickets after the first "trailor" film.

Sargon I think we all love action films and there is nothing wrong with that.

The old good v evil shoot em up comic strip films like star ship troopers and face off etc. are perfectly alright but what I don't like are films that glorify the bad guys and make them appear the heroes. That I do believe is unhealthy.

Do you have an example of this? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Yes Star Wars was the defining moment in my childhood as well. Many critisized the new movies, but I think that's because they are seeing them through adult eyes. These movies were made for kids. Attack of the clones was great. Mmmmm.... Natalie Portman....

Best Sci Fi..................The Thing( the Kirk Russell one)

The original where James Arness played the Thing wasn't bad either...........a sort of cross between a man, and a carrot.

Also.......Alien

Best Western..............The Wild Bunch.

Anyone see Sam Peckinpah's "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia", with Warren Oates. Superb use of a 1911 Colt 45 auto..........hairs standing out on the back of neck stuff!!

Best Thriller...........Point Blank, with Lee Marvin........probably his best film

with The Killers, a not bad 2nd.

Anyone see the old black and white thriller.......The Big Heat, with Glenn Ford

superb, and ferocious thriller.

Anyone like The Hill, with Sean Connery, Harry Andrews, and Ian Hendry?

Harry Andrews superb as the camp RSM

his acting was the ultimate.

Jack Nicolson and Helen Hunt superb in, As Good As It Gets.

Think I perfer Helen Hunt to that chick in Dark Angel.

One of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen was Anthony Hopkins in "Nixon".

The way he portrayed his facial expressions, and mannerisms, was utterly uncanny. He should have got an Oscar for it. Morgan Freeman described Hopkins, actor wise, as The Master.

Gene Hackman tremendous in both French Connection films, where the sequel was probably better than the original, as is mostly NOT the case.

Gene Hackman has tremendous power as an actor

Thought Alan Rickman totally stole the film off Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. Apparently, Kostner didn't like that either. Rickman a superb actor..........AND British!!!

Do you have an example of this? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

One that springs to mind is Buster that starred Phil Collins as the "great train robber" Edwards.

It was a romantic portrayal of a thug.

Edwards actually hung himself in his lock up under Waterloo bridge in the end.

Agree with Griff about Alan Rickman.

A truely underrated actor.

I read an interview where he was asked about his role as the Euro terrorist Hans in Die Hard.

When asked how he was selected for the role he answered, "because I'm cheap" :lol: What a guy.

He was brilliant in Robin Hodd and at his ultimate best in Rasputin.

My best film right now is the Matrix. The sequel should be out soon. Can't wait.