• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Worst Car You Have Owned or Driven????

This is a tough pick. Having owned: an Austin Allegro 1750, an R reg TR7, a Morris Ital, a Talbot Sunbeam, a Volvo V40 automatic, a Citroen Xantia, how do you choose the worst? 

In the Xantia, you had to enter a code on keypad to start the engine. I lent it to a colleague and forgot to give them the code. Before the days of mobile phones.

The TR7 was pretty bad. The throttle would stick open, the cooling system emptied itself while leaving the expansion bottle full, and the wipers lost contact with the screen at 70mph.

I was test driving an early 1970s Renault - maybe an 18 - when the gear lever came out in my hand. But I didn't own that.

1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

Having owned: an Austin Allegro 1750, an R reg TR7, a Morris Ital, a Talbot Sunbeam, a Volvo V40 automatic, a Citroen Xantia,

Congratulations. You must have owned six of the worst cars ever made. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Congratulations. You must have owned six of the worst cars ever made. :laughing2dw:

The first three were due to working for various iterations of British Leyland. The Allegro was originally LH drive, destined for Lebanon when the political situation went sour. A friend converted it to RHD. We went down the track collecting the parts. Later I got put on the Management Car Plan, which was a cheap leasing scheme to boost registrations. I ordered a Spitfire 1500 which was scheduled and built. Then they lost it somewhere at Canley. The TR7 was the consolation prize. They had lots of them no one seemed to want, for some reason. :tongue:

8 hours ago, Delta said:

An Austin Montego was a close second.

You have my sympathies.

On 17/04/2019 at 13:17, Nigelp said:

my jag xjs

I have fond memories of doing 140 on the M5 in an XJS.

18 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I was test driving an early 1970s Renault - maybe an 18 - when the gear lever came out in my hand. But I didn't own that.

Renault 18 was introduced in the late 70's so it probably wasn't that.  I had an auto one from 1982:

02%20Renault%2018%20Auto.jpg

I've not had a really bad car but the worst one was a Renault 5 GTX.  It was quite brisk with a 1721cc engine but suffered from dreadful fuel vaporisation problems.  If you got stuck in traffic for more than about ten or fifteen minutes you'd set off again bouncing along like a kangaroo! There was an expensive cooling mod available from Renault but this offered no guarantee of success so, instead, I implemented a cheaper and partial fix which was to have the cooling fan wired so that it was permanently on and, when stuck in traffic, keeping my foot on the gas to maintain 2000-3000 RPM.  Extinction Rebellion would've loved me :laugh:  But the worst thing about it was that the clutch cable would snap every few months.  I soon learned to keep a couple of spares in the boot at all times.

A mate and I once drove it up from London and did a road trip all around Scotland.  On that occasion the heater matrix decided to let go and filled the passenger foot well full of coolant.  Luckily it was Summer so we didn't need the heater anyway.  Later that year we drove up again and did a Winter climbing trip around Glencoe, driving axle-deep in snow following those guide poles they have to mark the sides of the road.  It never missed a beat on that occasion.

Despite it's foibles it was a plucky little motor :)

03%20Renault%205GTX.jpg

Edited by rhaythorne

Land Rovers. That legendary 4 x 4. Dreadful propshaft hand brake, rotting chassis, uncomfortable, noisey, freezing cold, continuously leaking front swivels, enormous gearbox that requires half the vehicle interior stripped out to remove. What's not to like ? Wouldn't want one of them Hilux things. Never get a chance to skin all your knuckles, and permanently damage your spine with one of them.

• Haha 1

actually our worst car in the family was a Rover 75 2.0 v6, 2002 Auto, only 29,000 miles on the clock when we got it, in 2010. Mint body wise but totally unreliable, heaters packed up, water pump packed up, fuel pump packed up, radiator fan packed up, auto box limit switch packed up, final straw was at 50,000 miles when the engine block developed water leak internally so a crack in the block? Traded it for a perfectly reliable Jap, Subaru, no wonder the British dont make cars anymore.

Image result for rover 75 copperleaf red

• Haha 1

The most unreliable car i had was a Citroen BX19. I got it new in 1991, and it earned the nick name "Roy Rogers" because the suspension was always going down at the back, and rearing up at the front. On the few occasions everything worked it was the most comfortable thing for long journeys.

• Haha 1

Just think, If BMC had gone ahead with some of its projects, we.could have had a much better class of scrap.

BMC 1800 Berlina Aerodinamica prototype of 1967.

bmc_1800_berlina_aerodinamica_1.jpg?crop

The cunning Fench managed.

CITROENGSA-2087_2.jpg

On 22/04/2019 at 10:42, Grzegorz said:

I've driven many of those one model I did like was the pickup with 1.9 diesel engine from citroen as far as I remember. 

So was the lada pick up OK, but the crown for "beyond bad" must be awarded to this,

560px-Tata_Pick_Up_2.0_TDI_Telcoline_200

You could watch them rust, the power steering stoped working in the wet, and that was the good points.

6 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Just think, If BMC had gone ahead with some of its projects, we.could have had a much better class of scrap.

BMC 1800 Berlina Aerodinamica prototype of 1967.

bmc_1800_berlina_aerodinamica_1.jpg?crop

The cunning Fench managed.

CITROENGSA-2087_2.jpg

So was the lada pick up OK, but the crown for "beyond bad" must be awarded to this,

560px-Tata_Pick_Up_2.0_TDI_Telcoline_200

You could watch them rust, the power steering stoped working in the wet, and that was the good points.

I admit the cars where rubbish.  But on the good side you could fix them with hammer and screwdriver 

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

I always wanted one of them.

Wartburg 

Related image

Daf

(whats he up to?)

Image result for daf car

19 hours ago, WRENCH said:

The most unreliable car i had was a Citroen BX19. I got it new in 1991, and it earned the nick name "Roy Rogers" because the suspension was always going down at the back, and rearing up at the front. On the few occasions everything worked it was the most comfortable thing for long journeys.

sounds like my first merc cl500, you couldnt park that half on and half off the pavement, if you did you had to drive around at a lean for a week while it sorted itself out. That was a wild suspension system.

Image result for mercedes cl500 suspension faulty lean

On 24/04/2019 at 08:31, chris l said:

loads of Type 2 campers..

I had a Type 2 van. Can't understand the Type hype. I bought mine out of desperation for doing a job, because I couldn't find a decent Transit, and it was a horrible thing. I recently saw a camper in a spray shop. The owner reckoned he'd spent over £35k, Subaru motor, some suspension mods, etc, etc. The heater might work now, and it won't have that rev limiter, that cuts in when you're half way past overtaking a bus.