• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
RussellB

Omega Alaska Project

Did a search and there is nothing I can find on here about the watch.

I just totally love it!!!

The new Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 'Alaska Project' is created to withstand the extreme conditions of space. The most remarkable thing about the timepiece is that it is temperature-resistant between -148 and +260 degrees Celsius.

The new Omega watch has an exciting piece of history behind its creation. After NASA tested the Omega Speedmaster Professional watch and officially qualified it for all manned space missions, Omega, inspired by the watch's success, concentrated on designing a new watch specifically for NASA expedition to the dark side of the moon that was meant to take place in the early 1970s.

0001h.jpg

omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-alaska-proje

This was a limited edition of 1970 watches last year. It was £2975. There were only about 100 or so in the country.

It was based on a prototype which was never put into production

Darren

Edited by Omegamaniac

Cheers Darren

Interesting stuff, why did they never make it a common model then?

There are a few around but at £5k it will be a while for me to get one

I tried one on a little while ago. I like the dial and handset but i'm a bit unsure of the real world use for the big red anodised case. It certainly won't fit under a shirt sleeve :D

I tried one on a little while ago. I like the dial and handset but i'm a bit unsure of the real world use for the big red anodised case. It certainly won't fit under a shirt sleeve :D

Guess you never wore a JSAR then ;)

Like this one.... :)

Put mine on a X-33 kevlar...suits well methinks...comes with lots of fancy packaging and some nicely machined bits and bobs....

Img1380.jpg

Img1382.jpg

Img1383.jpg

Img1369.jpg

Keith

I like it, but then I like the white faced Speedys....

And this one is different enough to be interesting...

Funny Keith, I put my Speedmaster on the x33 Kevlar only this morning, it suites it well... :)

Img1369.jpg

I really do like that dial and handset. It looks great. So clean.

Does it get much wear with the big red biscuit tin attached Keith?

Yes!

Just like that one!

Very yummy, feel free to leave it me in your will!

Like this one.... :)

Put mine on a X-33 kevlar...suits well methinks...comes with lots of fancy packaging and some nicely machined bits and bobs....

Img1380.jpg

Img1382.jpg

Img1383.jpg

Img1369.jpg

Keith

Img1369.jpg

I really do like that dial and handset. It looks great. So clean.

Does it get much wear with the big red biscuit tin attached Keith?

Never put it on..and in truth hardly wear the watch either.....only put it on the kevlar to save the original strap and bracelets....ohhh the irony.

My dad was very impressed with the workmanship of the accessories.....never mentioned the watch itself...... :eek:

one came up at a reasonable price on another forum a few weeks ago and i nearly went for it as i think this one will be worth a few quid one day, still on my list to get as i think they are cool, the red case is not something i would wear but would make a great talking point.

I just think its an interesting and rather exensive bit of fluff, and no one would ever actually wear the big red thing

and no one would ever actually wear the big red thing

Oh I don't know, I'm not a big fan of Omega's but it looks a bit interesting and presumably you are not likely to meet to many other people wearing one. Definitely different enough for me. How is the anodised outer ring fixed to the watch ?????

I love the look of it, but i have to say that i have worn my 1967 cal 321 in Skagway, Alaska at -32c & for 3 weeks in & around Whitehorse in the Yukon with temperatures between -30c & -40c & it performed perfectly. (not bad as i only paid £45.00 in a 1972 ad in the local paper)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say that I've seen one of these at my local Jewellers for £3190, if anyone’s interested please don’t hesitate to PM me for info.

Tom.

For those in the thread who recently got X-33 Kevlar straps can I ask where you got them from?

Many thanks, Adam

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say that I've seen one of these at my local Jewellers for £3190, if anyone’s interested please don’t hesitate to PM me for info.

Tom.

There is also one in Aberdeen, atleast a couple still kicking about