• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
powelly

Just Won This

I won this old Timex manual wind over the weekend from an online auction site, not sure what the quality is like but I like the shape and it only cost £5 including postage.

3565467521_e773c83c3b.jpg

I really bought it as something to play with, according to the advert the day/date doesn't work, would anyone have any ideas what might be causing this and how I might go about repairing it.

I'm no expert but Timex movements can be a problem to take apart which is what you will need to do to get to the date wheels. They have the bridges pressed together not screwed on the ones I've seen. I think you will need to post some pics of the movement so that the guys can help out.

If you can let us have a photo of the movement and/or back, that will help ID the exact movement, and Knut, Watchnutz or PG or myself may well have service info for it. I should add though that it's often easier to swap out a movement than to "repair" one with Timex watches. having said that, often a clean and lube is enough to restore more than 90% of Ticka Timex' to full working order, they really are quite robust machines given the age and type of movement. :yes:

It should be a fairly easy fix. There's no need to disassemble the movement to correct any faults in the day/date feature - hands and dial only. Most likely it's a detent spring on the day wheel that's broken, and these can be replaced ( I probably have some avaliable ). I also have copies of the service manual for your movement ( most likely it's the 33 or 106 movement ) and I can email you or post them here once you get the watch :)

Thanks all, it's good to know that I may be able to have it working properley, should arrive this week with any luck, I'll wait until it turns up but i'm thinking a black leather strap might look quite nice.

Right then, the watch turned up today, looks to be in ok condition, very grubby though, a clean is definatley needed and the crystal is a little scratched, nothing a little bit of 3000grit wet and dry and some of my car detailing euipment won't cure though.

I popped the case back off and took a couple of shots of the movement, I think I can see how to remove the movement so I'll have go at that tonight and get the case and bracelet in some cleaning solution.

I have wound it up and it's ticking along niceley, just can't seem to set the date though, if I turn the hands past midnight the day/date flick over, i just can't set them properley.

Here's a few pics of the movement, hopefully someone can identify it and maybe suggest what the problem might be and wether or not another movement would be an option.

3575903932_6043f1e84a.jpg

3575903934_73b40fa27f.jpg

It should be a fairly easy fix. There's no need to disassemble the movement to correct any faults in the day/date feature - hands and dial only. Most likely it's a detent spring on the day wheel that's broken, and these can be replaced ( I probably have some avaliable ). I also have copies of the service manual for your movement ( most likely it's the 33 or 106 movement ) and I can email you or post them here once you get the watch :)

Sounds like the best explanation so far... :)

At the bottom of the dial there should be a catalog number. Would you mind checking it and let me know what it says? That will tell us the movement number and the year. I haven't got time right this minute but I'll check tonight and let you know :) ( busy as h*** over here ).

At the bottom of the dial there should be a catalog number. Would you mind checking it and let me know what it says? That will tell us the movement number and the year. I haven't got time right this minute but I'll check tonight and let you know :) ( busy as h*** over here ).

Do I need to take the movement out to get to this number, I certainly can't see anything through the crystal, unfortuantley I don't have any tools with me to remove the movement, not really sure why I had a case knife with me at work to be honest!!!!

One other question, should I try to clean the movement at all, if so how do I go about doing this.

Edited by powelly

If anyone ever has any doubts of why this forum is important, just read the support he has

gotten!

Edited by don natel

Do I need to take the movement out to get to this number, I certainly can't see anything through the crystal, unfortuantley I don't have any tools with me to remove the movement, not really sure why I had a case knife with me at work to be honest!!!!

One other question, should I try to clean the movement at all, if so how do I go about doing this.

Yes - you need to remove the movement in order to see the number ( sorry about that ). I happen to have one just like it ( go figure... :D ) and it reads: 2876910679. This means your watch is model no. 28769, has a 106 movement and was made in 1979. It probably also says "Dial England" as well :)

Here's how you go about the procedure. You need to remove the movement from the case first though: you'll notice a small screw and a lever holding the stem in place. Simply unscrew it a couple of turns and pull the stem out, and the movement will come out easily :)

Look at the mentioned springs ( detent day and date spring ) and see if one of them might be broken or misaligned.

Let me know if this works for you. If not I'll be more than happy to fix it for you, or maybe someone in the UK will help you out ( I'm situated in Norway ).

reassemble1062.jpg

reassemble106.jpg

003-20.jpg

Hope this helps :)

BTW: if the watch is running ok and keeping decent time there's no need to clean/oil the movement - these Timex movements are superbly solid and strong and will run for decades ( YES - they will! ) without any major concerns.

Knut has said it all really, most of us who work on Ticka Timex try NOT to bend the dial tabs back too much on re-assembly so as to avoid the chance of them breaking off in the future if more work is needed for any reason. Small point which was not as important when a jeweller could order up a replacement dial quite easily :yes:

If the "fault" happens on every date change, then it's not likely to be a fault on the wheel(s) itself, a missing or damaged area on the wheel(s) would normally only affect that one day or date according to where the damage is. :lol:

STOP!! Before you remove the hands and dial be sure you realize this is NOT a quick set day/date. I believe you said they change alright when advancing the time and if so you probably don't have a problem. it is a very tedious proedure to set the day and date on these. Follow the instructions on the last page Knut posted.

STOP!! Before you remove the hands and dial be sure you realize this is NOT a quick set day/date. I believe you said they change alright when advancing the time and if so you probably don't have a problem. it is a very tedious proedure to set the day and date on these. Follow the instructions on the last page Knut posted.

Yes - Bill is right. I did not read your reply good enough...! If the day and date flicks over when you turn the hands foreward then there's no problem. :)

Well guys, as above I don't actually think there is a problem, I fully wound the watch yesterday, I checked this morning and the day/date had clicked round fine, I have a feeling the seller didn't know how to set the day/date properley, mind you it's only thanks to Knuts instructions that I do now. Anyhow, i'm going to give it a good clean up and it's good to go.

Thanks again for all the help.

You are correct about the movement number and the year. The first numbers indicate that it is a Marlin, sales catalog # 27970. you might be interested to know that is the original band and the watch sold for $22.95 USD when new.

You are correct about the movement number and the year. The first numbers indicate that it is a Marlin, sales catalog # 27970. you might be interested to know that is the original band and the watch sold for $22.95 USD when new.

Thanks for that, I wonder what the UK price would have been, probably about double this being rip off britain and all.

i think it's time for some timex pics :D

timexii1.jpg

timexii3.jpg

timexii2.jpg

timexii4.jpg

john :D

They are loveley examples. I have just taken the bracelet apart and cleaned the thirty years of dirt and dead skin from it, I attacked the crystal with some 3000 grit wet and dry and polished it back with some Menzerna car polish, I started with a coarse polish and worked down to a finishing polish, it looks pretty good and it's removed all but the very worst scratch. As watchnutz says it is the original bracelet, it has TIMEX stamped in to the clasp, it's in pretty good condition too, it could do with a polish though to remove the scratches, I might do this at some stage, the patina kind of suits it though.

WOW- that's come up a treat, it's a very hansome shaped cast too powelly B) B)

john :)

Thanks, it is rather nice, pretty chuffed actually. I'm wearing it right now, it's really quite comfortable. I think I did ok with this one, it only cost me £1.99 plus postage. :D

WOW- that's come up a treat, it's a very hansome shaped cast too powelly B) B)

john :)

Thanks, it is rather nice, pretty chuffed actually. I'm wearing it right now, it's really quite comfortable. I think I did ok with this one, it only cost me £1.99 plus postage. :D

VERY NICE! Do we see a Timex collector in the making? :D