• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
martinus_scriblerus

Solar Electric

Here's an uncommon Solar Electric watch. Solar was a house brand of the T. E. Eaton company, a defunct department store chain from Canada.

SolarElectric.jpg

This watch would have been sold at one of the stores here in Canada in the early 1960's. Indeed, I bought the watch in a million pieces from a fellow who lives quite close to me here in Southern Ontario.

Here's a photo of the movement:

SolarElectricmovementLanderon4760.jpg

It is a Landeron 4760 - the one with the hack feature. This movement was the one Wittnauer used in their later Electro-Chrons. I had Silver Hawk overhaul it (although it has been behaving badly lately - I expect the watch really wishes to go back on holiday in Brighton for a smell of the salt air).

I posted the picture in the general forum as well - July 1 is Canada Day, celebrating our 142nd anniversary of Confederation in 1867. It is probably the only watch in that thread which has a connection with Canada - not much in the way of horological history here.

Do you mean it,s behaving badly when you wear it or when it,s led down, I have a few of these movements and in general they keep better time when they are worn on the wrist than just left static, dont ask me why. I wore my Wittnauer yesterday on the wrist it kept perfect time I then took it off and led it on the shelf well I did something and noticed it had gained 5mins in a couple of hours, so reset it put it back on and it kept perfect time for the rest of the day.

Edited by dombox40

Do you mean it,s behaving badly when you wear it or when it,s led down, I have a few of these movements and in general they keep better time when they are worn on the wrist than just left static, dont ask me why.

I mean that it has decided to stop working. It'll run for a few secnds and quit. I checked the battery connection and it looks fine. Brighton here we come???

Oh dear, do you have a collar on the battery you can try and put a piece of folded tin foil on top of the battery it works for me and paul even put a small steel spring washer in one of mine to push the battery down tight when replacing the cover.

There's no room in the engine compartment for an AAA size battery that's for sure! :grin:

WherE does the battery (cell for the pedantics) fit ? :ph34r:

There's no room in the engine compartment for an AAA size battery that's for sure! :grin:

WherE does the battery (cell for the pedantics) fit ? :ph34r:

As a rule of thumb their is a removable battery hatch in the center of the rear case(see pic) but this does not apply to all Electro-Chrons.

IMG_1630.jpg