• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How Do You Replace A Snap On Watch Back?

judeep

Actually in the absence of a press these Thor mallets are not as daft as it first appears, probably in grams now but if you can find someone with a smaller size about 32mm dia and so long as you support the case properly it will work. They also come with copper one end and leather on the other but also with hard nylon ends, those usually have the centre filled with shot so as to absorb the impact and stop it from bouncing back like a steel hammer would. A couple of different ones smaller in size and weight can be an indispensible tool on your bench. I used to use them frequently when I didn't want to mark or damage smaller parts and properly used the will pop the back on a watch in short order with out to much fuss. Obviously a couple of different sized plastic ferrels like you see in Jot's picture would be handy as well.

THR0110.JPG

Edited by BondandBigM

It is not a good idea Mr Bond :lol:

It's a great idea, a fiver for the basic mallet and then maybe a couple of quid for a few different inserts like what was with the press, jobs a good un, I've assembled more delicate things than a watch back.

Although I will conceed it does depend on how good you are with the mallet, you could end up with a couple of sore fingers if you miss

:lol: :lol:

before i acquired my backpress, if i had a tight back i used to put the watch crystal down on a newspaper then use a small (about 40mm x 40mm) piece of soft pine, place it on the back and press down with the palm of my hand, of course this would only work with flat (mineral) crystal and not with domed acrylic...

i never broke a glass (possibly more luck than judgement :blush: )

regards, john :)

And can now confirm that a piece of wood AS WELL AS the use of a mallet worked a treat:-)

Thanks again Guys

Jude

In failing with the help of a MALLET [!!] And before moving onto a sledgehammer next time.Try, Making sure that the lips on both case and back are perfectly clean,Then give them a smear of silicone grease.If between fingers wont do it now,Move onto a press ...PLEASE !.

And can now confirm that a piece of wood AS WELL AS the use of a mallet worked a treat:-)

Thanks again Guys

Jude

Jude

did you really use the mallet?????

i think it was only suggested in jest whereas i really did used to use the small piece of wood and newspaper and pressed the back on with the palm of my hand :o

john :) :)

Thanks again Guys

Jude

Jude

did you really use the mallet?????

i think it was only suggested in jest whereas i really did used to use the small piece of wood and newspaper and pressed the back on with the palm of my hand :o

john :) :)

I did indeed. BUT only because the watch had only cost me £2.50:-)

I have now ordered a press thingy from the bay!