• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
Larry from Calgary

"Rare" ?

Never knew Invicta made a model such as this. Rare ? Authentic ?

It's definitely authentic, probably released in the mid 60's by the original Invicta company.

It would seem to fit the definition of 'rare' that had been discussed and battered around in some earlier posts.

I've never seen one of these either. Another manufacturer using the Landeron 4750.

And I see that Invicta is NOT in the list of watch makers on Silver Hawk's electric watch site. So another for the list, I think.

Edited by martinus_scriblerus

It would seem to fit the definition of 'rare' that had been discussed and battered around in some earlier posts.

I guess the combination of watch maker and movement makes this "rare"...but I usually use to term in relation to watch maker and movement. Landeron electrics are not really rare...not unless Dave has now bought them all. :wink:

I guess the combination of watch maker and movement makes this "rare"...but I usually use to term in relation to watch maker and movement. Landeron electrics are not really rare...not unless Dave has now bought them all. :wink:

What if it were a Hamilton with a Landeron movement, would it be 'rare'?

I agree with what you've said above, but maybe it's time we opened a discussion on what makes a 'rare' watch rare.

:cheers:

A watch that is truly made in a limited edition is (or will become) automatically "rare" and of course all of the RLT range would fit that category. Then again, it depends on supply and demand - I've no doubt that there are collectors in (insert name of country of choice) who have never heard of RLT and the range of RLT pieces, but would they consider them "rare" or just an oddity? :lol:

And Paul's point is also valid, an unusual movement and maker combination can be classed as "rare", unless as also suggested, it's a frankenwatch. But Then, what about a manufacturer's frankenwatch? where someone like Hamilton replaces a movement with a later unit of the same or even a different type (quartz for electric) rather than disappoint a client - perhaps for great sentimental value? It's rare - and it'd be authentic, having been done by the original maker - is it that much different than a re-furb in Swissland (Toblerone country) where they almost completely re-build a watch from scratch. :yes:

Where's the can-o-worms icon? :rofl2:

what about a manufacturer's frankenwatch? where someone like Hamilton replaces a movement with a later unit of the same or even a different type (quartz for electric) rather than disappoint a client - perhaps for great sentimental value? It's rare - and it'd be authentic, having been done by the original maker

That's the rub Mel. In my opinion, it seems that the word 'rare' is being used far too often especially by sellers in our favourite bay to describe (I hate to say it) somewhat easily obtainable watches. It's almost as if the word 'old' is being replaced by 'rare' in their sales description. I'd be happier if they used the phrase "hard to find" in lieu of "rare"

I personally (again it's my opinion) would rate your watch described above as being a 'rare' item, maybe more so than some of their anatomically correct cousins . Some may think of it as a franken, but I think the watch would stand up as a one-off on it's own.

In other words, my collecting days will end when there are more 'rare' items available than there were originally produced. Lets hope that doesn't happen, but again IMO there are potential examples out there.

I can see that this conversation could become just as hotly debated as the "fake" versus "homage" discussions.

:cheers: