• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
dombox40

I Think These Are Rare

Picked these up from the states from a third party who procured them when he bought the complete stock of a deceased jeweller in his home town. I believe its rare to find one of these but to find sixteen NOS is unheard of.So bearing in mind they have never been used in forty plus years they had to go to the Hawk for a complete overhaul, if you look at pauls site he explains in there how difficult these are to come by, but what makes these rare is the fact they have a date feature even Paul had not seen one of these. Of the sixteen Paul managed to get ten to work the rest had broken stems and he,s on the look out for these.the watches were made by the Ruhla company in east germany and contain the UMF 26 movement I,m sure Paul will have a few more pictures he can show you and he might have some comments about the trouble he had servicing them.

IMG_3229.jpg

They look shiny, especially the ones with the date! I would like to see more pics. Are you going to be selling them when they are restored? You dont need that many! :wink:

Keep your eyes open Andy I may put a couple in the sales corner next week.

Yes, these are rare :wink: ...East German made electric watches for the export market. This batch has Newport on the dial but I've seen them with Services and Champion on the dial as well. All these have the UMF 26 movement in them, which makes then even more special.

The ones with the date are a little unusual because 1) its undocumented that there was a date version and 2) it uses exactly the same, unmodified movement as the non-date version...the designers have cunningly added an extra complication to the basic calibre and no changes were needed.

Shame I could only get 9 going out of the original batch of 18...mainly due to a lack of stems; many stems broke due to metal fatigue and despite trying as hard as I can, cannot find any genuine replacements. However, I'm hoping to modify some other stem to fit, and therefore bring a few more back to life.

A friend of mine tells me these would fetch a reasonable sum on German ebay...

Now some of photos:

Newport UMF Cal 26 Group Shot 9.jpg

Newport UMF Cal 26 Group Shot 12.jpg

Newport UMF Cal 26 Group Shot 13.jpg

Newport UMF Cal 26 With Date 1.jpg

Newport UMF Cal 26 Without Date Front 1.jpg

Now those are interesting watches...what a great find and great news that Paul could get that many going again.

I think that would certainly be a lot of interest when/if you move some on!

Shame I could only get 9 going out of the original batch of 18...mainly due to a lack of stems; many stems broke due to metal fatigue and despite trying as hard as I can, cannot find any genuine replacements. However, I'm hoping to modify some other stem to fit, and therefore bring a few more back to life.

Do you think the stems will last? Found any replacements yet?

As has been said a great find, my Service`s says hi!! :D

Services Electric, 17 Jewel UMF #25 Movement, circa 1970

ServicesElectric1.jpg

Edited by mach 0.0013137

Received my Newport this morning from Ken and wanted to thank him for a pleasant transaction. And to add my thanks to Paul ( Silver Hawk ) for doing such a fantastic job.:clap:

newport2.jpg Junk picture does not do it justice.

One immigrated and has now applied for resident status in the colonies. B) Many thanks Ken and a well done to the Hawk.

375522642.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic.

One immigrated and has now applied for resident status in the colonies. B) Many thanks Ken and a well done to the Hawk.

375522642.jpg

Sorry for the poor pic.

Glad it arrived safely bill nice strap you put on that.

Couldn't resist posting a snapshot of mine -- I managed to snag one of the last of the lot. The watch arrived in record time from across the pond, and I wore it to the office yesterday. A couple of the guys who are into watches shook their heads over this one! Many thanks, Ken, and to the Hawk as well.

A-1-2.jpg

Hi all,

Another arrived here up north. Smashing thing, too good to wear? now there is a familiar heard quandary.

Thanks

Paul D