• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
Sign in to follow this  
tsam

Help Needed On Re-Aligning The Date In The Window

Hello

I have a divers watch & for example the DAY in the DISPLAY window on the WATCH half showing.

It seems to be mis - aligned for some reason ?

Is this an easy job to fix - ie taking apart etc ?

If anyone could share any advice on how to fix this problem I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help directly but would be interested in hearing the answer myself. :whistle:

I assume at a minimum it would involve removing the watch from the case, taking the hands and dial off and then removing and replacing the day/date dial in the right position. I have heard that these can be off from the factory so assume it might be that easy - although you would likely need a few tools.

Looking a little further this link gives some idea of what is necessary. Looks like there is one additional plate holding the date. Not sure how you would correct the problem if there is only one tooth per day though.

I am sure there is someone around here with more knowledge.

Cheers,

BB

using this pic from the link BB supplied

date_set_2.jpg

You can see the date wheel has teeth on its inside edge, one per day. And there is a spring loaded lever that locks into place to hold the wheel on the correct day. It can be that the plastic ring with the numerals on has been fitted to the wheel incorrectly but it is also possible that there is a problem with the spring or lever stopping the lever from holding the wheel in the right position.

The only way to find out is to take the hands and dial off and have a look

Hi There. Your picture shows quite a flash date change mech. On a lot of watches you just get a long copper spring on the teeth of the date wheel. There should not be a problem with alignment as the spring is designed to pull the date wheel around quickly into the correct place acting against the smooth teeth. The spring end and a few of the teeth need a bit of fine grease to overcome friction and get it into the correct spot. It's hard to say if this is the fault without inspecting it but it looks likely to me. Don't put too much on. Try a little silicone spray. Spray into the cap of the tin and then use a paintbrush to finely paint some of the residue onto a few of the teeth of the date wheel. Hope this helps.

is it just me or does anyone else think that Tsam's dial is slightly off centre? e.g. rotated clockwise. the bezel looks lined up with the dial and the bezel 3 o'clock/15mins is way off the crown position.

Andy

I forgot to mention that if you have the copper bar spring type you may be able to experiment by bending it a fraction ot moving it if yiu can to increase the pressure/force exerted. Only a fraction though or it could be worse than when you started. The dial looks ok to me.

is it just me or does anyone else think that Tsam's dial is slightly off centre? e.g. rotated clockwise. the bezel looks lined up with the dial and the bezel 3 o'clock/15mins is way off the crown position.

Andy

Looks that way to me too. Could it be that either the dial pegs are broken or there's no sticky pads holding the dial?

I assume its the same watch as in this thread:

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46857&st=0

Wouldnt a CWC have CWC on the dial? :blink:

Andy

Is it an optical illusion? I agree that the bezel 3/15 mins and crown look out of alignment, but every other point lines up, and the distance between all marks etc seem to be the same.

you are quite right Micky without knowing what movement it has and therefore what date change mechanisim it's hard to be certain, I was just making a general point.

Tsam has it alwys been like it from new? Does the date wheel click over properly day to day all be it out of line? If so it could just be the numeral ring hasn't been put on correctly.

This is turning into a really educational thread. Now I just have to fight the urge to take a couple of my date watches apart when I get home this evening. :blink:

Micky, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the other mechanism types please? I think I kind of know what you mean but it would be great to see it.

Cheers,

BB

:sadwalk: Sorry BB I hoped to have a picture from a Timex I overhauled recently but I took pictures of everything but the date mech. It's fairly simple to explain though. The calender wheel (with the dates on it) is a ring which has it's teeth on the inside. The teeth are large and rounded. A large wheel rotates under it with a cam (egg shaped wheel) atached to the top which is level with the calendar wheel and engages with it every 24 hours. To facilitate the fast changing of the calandar wheel there is a straight piece of flexible metal (a spring. Some designs vary) which just sticks out into the teeth of the calandar wheel. As the calandar wheel turns from the cam the spring applys pressure until the tooth is past the spring and then the calandar wheel is "flicked" into place and the spring takes rest again at the bottom of another calandar wheel tooth.