• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.
diddy

Services Watches

Just found this forum and thread (late the party as usual).

Just had to say, my first job out of school was at Services, back in July 1969!!! God I feel old now. I was there until the early 70's when they had a culling. I think due to very bad sales.  It was alright place to work I guess. Some the managers were a bit odd!  But the training they promised at the interview never came to anything much. But I made some good friends, all of which I have now lost contact with.

I had call to go back to Leicester a couple of years back and found that Time House on Duke St (services HQ) is a now a set of trendy loft apartments!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve1221 said:

Just found this forum and thread (late the party as usual).

Just 4 years after the last comment!

Most manufacturers suffered in the 1970s due to what is now referred to as the quartz crisis.   If you knew Stephen Burrage during your working life he is doing well.

15 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Just 4 years after the last comment!

Most manufacturers suffered in the 1970s due to what is now referred to as the quartz crisis.   If you knew Stephen Burrage during your working life he is doing well.

Yeah, 4 years is a bit of a lag I grant you!  But I've typed Services into google a few times over the years and nothing ever popped up until now??

I'm sure I recall Stephen's name. I'm glad he's okay :)

I remember the first time I heard about this odd quartz thing. If I recall correctly the first model was something like £700 with another £100 if you wanted a countdown timer added. How you get them in Christmas crackers!  It's a strange old world.

On 27/02/2014 at 22:06, mach 0.0013137 said:

Sounds about right though a photo might confirm it also does it mention if it`s "Waterproof" or "Water Resistant"?

As you seem interested in Services watches,I have a Services wrist  watch box, looks fifties,has "Services Sports Watches" Fully guaranteed " &"For Distinguished Service" on top, in good condition ,it is free if you would like it? (still working on adding pics!)

Hi all just wanted to add I have a Services Watch with the later logo that has a Takano 19 Jewel movement. According to information on a Japanese watches forum Takano was only in business between 1967 and 1962 before being taken over by Ricoh.