• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Take A Shower With An Omega Speedmaster

the main reason not to use ANY watch in the shower is that the combintation of spray effects,temperature differentials, and most of all detergents can rot the seals! your watch might survive a few showers, but the detergents will perish the seals.

At one time I wore this day in day out in the shower and sometimes twice in a day, 50m rating and no screw down crown and even swam a bit in pools that were probably full of chemicals, it's still going. Never even steamed up :D

SL270634.jpg

I wear my LV pretty much 24/7 these days and the same with it I never take off in the shower, how else are you supposed to clean them :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bloody hate them eclectic showers! I do feel that this advertiser could have used the eleven years planning time slightly more productively, instead of posting the message above.   <sigh> 

I have removed your sales link as this is a watch forum, not home improvements. Phew, bet your wrist stinks. 

So.. considering the fact that my Speedie Professional is only 8 months old.. with no gasket wear or anything like that..

Would anyone say that it would be fair to shower it.. not submerse it but shower it??

It's not a low end cheap watch with 50m written on is it?

It's a £2.2k piece of decent kit.. with 50m written on the tin!!??

*** Nips upstairs to pop it in a low filled basin of soapy water....***

^^^ Is kidding of course! :yes: ^^^

You'll be fine showering in your speedy, I've had my speedy chrono years and it's been in the shower 100's of times and in the pool, mines never budged still like new, if your worried you will stuff it up then you'll not feel easy showering in it, me I'm not bothered if I can't shower in it then it has no place in my collection, watches are for wearing and on holiday it's always safest on your wrist

Edited by ollyhock

So.. considering the fact that my Speedie Professional is only 8 months old.. with no gasket wear or anything like that..

Would anyone say that it would be fair to shower it.. not submerse it but shower it??

It's not a low end cheap watch with 50m written on is it?

It's a £2.2k piece of decent kit.. with 50m written on the tin!!??

*** Nips upstairs to pop it in a low filled basin of soapy water....***

^^^ Is kidding of course! :yes: ^^^

You'll be fine showering in your speedy, I've had my speedy chrono years and it's been in the shower 100's of times and in the pool, mines never budged still like new, if your worried you will stuff it up then you'll not feel easy showering in it, me I'm not bothered if I can't shower in it then it has no place in my collection, watches are for wearing and on holiday it's always safest on your wrist

Edited by ollyhock
  • 2 weeks later...

To reiterate the point that a few have made, just tell him to take it off.

It's clear that some think it SHOULD be ok, however the only way to find out for definite is to try it. Is it worth it for a watch worth £2k? I wouldn't take the chance. Unless he showers for hours, I doubt it will make any differnce to anything, in the grand scheme of things anyway.

I think that if one showers with a Speedmaster you are taking a risk, but not because of the change in temperature. Being a standard chronograph that is not like the Seamaster Chrono, that is specifically designed with seals that are not only airtight and watertight to depths our bodies cant handle. The Seamasters seals are deigned to withstand temperatures between 60°C/140°F above or 0°C/32°F below. The average shower temperature is below that. As to soaps and stuff, well they recommens you wash metal bracelts with soapy water anyway, and one obviously rinses anyway.

The reason its a risk is the same reason that swiss watch companies have had this argument in the past with consumer groups. The ratings system is all wrong. (thats only in my opinion, I must add)

5ATM or 50m (Speedmaster rating) means that it is relatively OK washing ones hands , swimming in shallow water, but avoid the sea and any serious pressure. That would suggest that its fine showering ,but I would err on the side of caution, especially if its a secondhand piece ,and you haven't had the seals tested. I have heard of a number of good brand watches rated to as high as 50-100 metres that fail miserably, even in shallow water, and even quite new.

Think of the people buying watches rated water-resistant 10-30metres who maybe aren't watch lover like ourselves. You would naturally assume that a 3ATM/30m piece was great for the pool, and it curls up and dies in a light rain.

If its less than 200m ,i dont fully immerse any watch I own, but that just me. Once they reach that rating, they go everywhere.

have always showered with my watches on, got to be honest here, if I have forked out over £2k on a watch that claims to be water resistant to 50m, which is about 150feet, then if it cant stand 10 minutes of a domestic shower its a piece of crap ! but in saying that I recently bought a speedmaster and was surprised that it did not have a wind down crown, which made me think about would it be ok to get wet regularly ! I shower in the morning and most days at the gym, and the lockers or changing rooms at the gym are not somewhere i would be happy leaving my gmt ! more from the fact that i would probably forget to put the blooming thing back on,

whats the point in having a water proof watch that you cant jump in the pool with or have a shower ??????

scott.

whats the point in having a water proof watch

Manufacturers stopped using the term waterproof a long time ago. What you get now is various degrees of water resistance.

can somebody kill this f ing link, just shower in your watch and stop being a f anny.

I've said before it will b fine, just look atmodern speed fit piping it's just an o ring and it holds mains water pressure, the omega has two o rings so it will be fine.

If it's rated at 50 m then it will have been tested to 75m if you just don't want to shower on your speedmaster sell it and get a seiko or citizen and shower all day long

• 11 years later...

I bloody hate them eclectic showers!

I do feel that this advertiser could have used the eleven years planning time slightly more productively, instead of posting the message above.   <sigh>     :mad0218:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 07/11/2009 at 15:33, kc104 said:

My best friend is getting married soon and his soon to be wife is going to buy him an Omega Speedmaster. He said to be the other day that someone at Ernst + Jones told him that he should not take a shower with that watch on. The reason being the change in temperature.

I was aware of the 'power shower' spraying water onto a watch not being a good idea, but not this change in temperature issue.

Can someone tell me if he would be ok taking a shower with this watch on.

Seriously?????

Have a look at the punishing testing that NASA put the watch through. 

https://www.twentytwoten.com/1574/nasa-testing-regime-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch/

the Speedmaster Professional “Moonwatch”, with a water resistance of 50 meters, can be used in the water. ... These are water-resistant up to 100 meters.12 May 2020
www.fratellowatches.com 

I swam bathed and showered for years in my 200m Tag 6000 and it was perfectly fine, except that one time the crown wasn't screwed in ....

p.s. that was 15 yrs ago and it is still running fine nonetheless and it's about 27 years old

1 hour ago, electricshower said:

I am also using Omega with showers even with eclectic showers and its working for me.

I have removed your sales link as this is a watch forum, not home improvements.

21 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I swam bathed and showered for years in my 200m Tag 6000 and it was perfectly fine, except that one time the crown wasn't screwed in ....

p.s. that was 15 yrs ago and it is still running fine nonetheless and it's about 27 years old

Phew, bet your wrist stinks. :jawdrop1:

• Thanks 1